Opel GT Forum banner

Will You Attend

2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest, Springfield IL. Sept. 27-29

11K views 116 replies 20 participants last post by  opeljohn 
#1 ·
Time to start a thread on the 2019 International Route 66 Mother Road Festival.

Where : Springfield IL, Downtown

When : September 27- 29 2019

Club Hotel : Route 66 Hotel & Convention Center
625 E. Saint Joseph St.
Springfield, IL. 62703
Phone # 217-529-6626

Room Rate : $75.00 Plus Tax U.S.D.
Request room rate for Opel Motor Club....

#7 ·
Now that most of the spring shows are behind us it is time to start thinking about the fall shows. Of course the "Nationals" will be in Charlotte this year and I would encourage folks to make it to that event if they can. The Route 66 Mother Road Fest is not on the same weekend this year, so maybe some of you can make it to both. In any case it is time to start making your plans and reservations. I will be stopping by the Route 66 Hotel soon to remind them of our room blockout. I am also going to ask for some feedback on what folks want to do about dinner on Friday and Saturday evenings. Also we need to have an idea about how many of you, if any, want to do the Friday evening "Cruise To Downtown". I am looking into wearable's from Greco Graphics if there is any real interest.

Just a few things to think about and comment on.

#8 ·
Went by the Hotel Tuesday to check on things. As of that point in time we had two reservations listed to our block. One from near St. Louis and the second was just a name. If you have reserved a room and you are not sure if you are in our block check back with them.

Also I would ask that someone who is active with the Opel Facebook groups pass along info posted here.

Right now I am looking at having dinner Friday evening at a place called Motorheads a little south of the Hotel. Some of you were there last year, let's hear what you think of it.

Saturday evening I am leaning toward a place called The Dew Pub & Grill. They have three locations in town and I am thinking about the one on Dirksen Parkway near the staging area for the Cruise Downtown.

#9 ·
I'm a notorious late register-er, but I plan to be there FRI & SAT (leaving SUN morning) for all activities (cruise, dinner(s)).
The atmosphere at Motorheads is great.

Dieter

Attachments

Reactions: opelgtcr8z
#11 ·
Been by Greco Graphics a few times in the last few weeks about shirts and such for this year. I am still looking at embroidered polo's. The guys have just finished up digitizing a 50th Anniversary Manta design much like what we did for the GT last year. It is a little early for the Manta but I wanted to get it set up. Dave has been trying to finish digitizing a design for the back of a coat and is almost there. The Question now is, does anybody want this stuff. Long term we may do a printed shirt in 2022 like we have done in the past.

And as always I encourage anyone who plans to make the event to get registered and book your room, it is almost August.

#14 ·
Looking forward to the event John! Will bring the Silver Opel and the VW chase bus as usual! Haven't contacted the hotel yet but plan to hopefully this week. Also interested in the shirts again.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Scott
Glad to hear you can make it. You need to get those brothers of yours to put an Opel on the road. Did I see something on here about you working on a Manta?

The shirts are very close. We changed the GT shirt some what, it will now have the build dates and GT above the Car and the words " Classic Opels " and the Blitz below. I am working to have the GT, Manta, and Kadett all done the same way. The Manta shirt will Have the dates 1970 and 2020 above with 50th anniversary below for now. The Coat back embroidery will feature all three and the words " Classic Opel Community ". Looking at a light weight coat with built in hood. Also plan to offer a Hat with Opel Blitz and the words " Classic Opels ". I am purposely trying to do Generic Designs so they will work for any event. I do plan to offer a sleeve design like last year for the Mother Road Event. To do this right will make for a complex web store from Greco. I am trying to get time with Mike at Greco to set this up soon enough to get product out prior to the fall events. Long term after this is all set up it can be offered anytime over the next few years. I hope there is enough interest to make this all worth the effort. The problem is Greco is telling me they may give up on the online store idea. That will make ordering a bit tougher to say the least.

For those who would like a printed shirt like we used to do, I am kind of holding off on that until maybe 2022. That should be our turn to host the National's and the 20th Anniversary of our participation in the event.

As before, I suggest if you can make the event, reserve your room and get pre-registered. Time is moving along.

#16 ·
Scott
Glad to hear you can make it. You need to get those brothers of yours to put an Opel on the road. Did I see something on here about you working on a Manta?
Could be! Bought a Luxus. Have done a small amount of work on it to make it road worthy , brakes, Master cylinder, Fuel tank cleaning and coating, etc. Need to get exhaust on. It won't make it to the show this year. Too much to do. I need to patch the frame rail on the driver's side. Also, we bought a 1964 VW Single Cab truck that has been keeping me busy!

As before, I suggest if you can make the event, reserve your room and get pre-registered. Time is moving along.
Room Reserved and we pre-registered in January!

Attachments

#19 ·
I registered the GT for the show and plan to reserve a room tomorrow.

My younger son lives in Madison WI now so he may drive down and join me. I'm sure we'll both join the group for dinner Sat. Fri. is TBD depending what time he arrives, but I'll probably have dinner with the group.

#21 ·
I still need to book our room, car has been registered since January 30th! :veryhappy Jessie and I ate at Motorheads last year. We thought the food was decent, a little loud but would likely go back again. If I remember correctly the have a large outdoor covered patio we all could hang out on.

Anyone looking for GT parts?

- David

Reactions: lezliewk (R.I.P.)
#22 ·
David
As you say the menu at Motor Heads is okay, but it is the collection of memorabilia that makes it worth going to. The guy who owns it has deep pockets and is constantly getting new stuff and expanding his display areas. I think he is committed to making it a must see stop on Route 66. He is holding Cruise-In's there quite often and encourages Car Clubs to meet there. I have talked to him a bit about our group and I think we can get into an area of less noise.

We are just a little over a month away now, time fly's.

#26 ·
A "shorter" version of that flyer came in today's mail. I'm wondering who's GT's got the prime spot in these pics!

Dieter

Attachments

Reactions: opelgtcr8z
#25 ·
Change of plans

Had planned on finishing body work and making to festival with the Gt. However, another car car changed my plan. May still come down as a spectator. Anyone know any info on a gt in Vernon Hills Ill for sale?

#27 ·
One less GT on the road

I suppose if i posted more often, i would get it right. Last Tuesday my GT made contact with another car and the front corner was rearranged. I don’t think it’s repairable. I may have a kadett to bring in a year or two unless i can find a GT in my budget.

Attachments

#29 ·
I suppose if i posted more often, i would get it right. Last Tuesday my GT made contact with another car and the front corner was rearranged. I don’t think it’s repairable. I may have a kadett to bring in a year or two unless i can find a GT in my budget.
Oh No!! Hate to see an Opel in that condition. We have Deer here running around all over the place. I am afraid to take the Opel anywhere for fear of an accident. Hope you can get enough cash from the other guy to find a decent replacement.

#32 ·
We are just about one month out now and I am working on some final details. I will be picking up the 2019 decals today, and ordering Awards. Talked to owner of Motor Heads last week about Friday dinner. I hope to have a better idea how many will eat that night when the time comes. I am looking at leaving the Hotel about 6:00pm that evening so maybe a few more can make it. I will be posting more later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.