Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in touch with the Springfield Convention and Tourist Bureau and they have confirmed the dates for this years event. The dates are all the info they have at this time. Since they have waited this late to commit they are not sure of venders and entertainment. They are supposed to let me know when they have more info. Mostly I am posting this to see how much interest we have within our group to attend. If it looks like we will have enough people I will look into a Hotel and dining. Saturday awards and activities also may or may not be needed. Please let me know if you plan to attend.

Thanks Folks

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,453 Posts
I plan on being there, obviously with no final promises made.

Dieter

·
Opeler
192 Posts
I will be there whether my free California GT is ready or not.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,410 Posts
wont be able to make it this year

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Don't really know at this time. We didn't commit to Carlisle until 2-3 weeks ago. But with the way things are going, I would say maybe 75% yes for Vickie and me.

·
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wanted to let you know I had contacted the local event people last week. All I got from them was the statement the event would happen but still no event schedule. Told them they need to put something out there soon if folks are going to be able to arrange to attend.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,422 Posts
Right now we plan to attend. No Opel, but I probably will bring what I call the "spiritual successor" to the Aero GT.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,453 Posts
Keep pushing them, John! Tell them the Opel Police will arrest them if they don't move their butts!

Dieter

·
Detritus Maximus
2,940 Posts
Keep pushing them, John! Tell them the Opel Police will arrest them if they don't move their butts!

Dieter
I was going to say the "Opelice", but it just reads as Opel lice....

·
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I am not part of the group that oversees the event I am not sure what is up. My concern is whether or not they have the resources to put the event on. They have already lost the chance to register early and use that income. A little history may be useful here. This event was originally started with a grant from the State of IL. It was meant to replace an event that had failed due to the City of Springfield pulling funding for things like police protection and cleanup. The grant lasted 3 years and then the event was to pull it's own weight. I think it has operated on slim margins for years. I am not sure the company that took over running it wants to continue. My worry is not only this year but we are suppose to host the Nationals in 2022.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,422 Posts
As near as I can figure out, Bonnier Events is the company that used to run it, and they no longer are. It looks like Springfield took it over and is trying to run it themselves. They've posted a whole list of "Rules, Regulations and Policies" on their website - secured access allowing participants to only come in through one checkpoint, no glass bottles, cans in coozies or poured into cups, etc. The worst from our standpoint is a "no animals allowed" policy, which I find strange seeing as this event is held on city streets. I'm not sure why they did it (I've sent an email to get more info), but it will definitely make things more difficult for us.

·
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mel
You have been able to find more info than I have, do post more as you find it. My concern is still more financial. I am not sure who held the seed money to do last years event and where it will come from this year. In the past they have allowed spectators in for free saying it would be to hard to charge. I just went to a downtown street music event that charged last week so I know it can be done. Yes it may limit crowds, but it should take some of the burden off car owners and perhaps make it a bit more profitable. They have said for years any money above what was needed to perpetuate the event would go to charity. I will see if I can get more from my contact with the event.

On a side note The company that has done our Shirts and Hats in the past has made it thru the pandemic but has changed locations. It is now just off the road we traveled from the hotel to the event. Greco Graphics has the ability to do small runs of embroidered Opel shirts hats and jackets. at any time. Silk screen like our old shirts require a larger order and are a one shot deal. I do not intend to try and do shirts if the event goes on this year but may look into a retro type silk screen shirt if we do the Nationals in 2022. You can find Greco online.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,422 Posts
This is where I found some of the information:
Route66fest.
They are showing that spectators are free. Since spectators and car owners are used to showing up with their pets in tow, their no animals rule is going to catch quite a few people by surprise (and probably piss them off in doing so). I pointed out to them that their concept of "leave your pet at the hotel" probably isn't going to fly with most hotels, who tend to frown on leaving a pet in a room unattended.
I am also trying to get more information via email with one of the staff. It's a challenge.

·
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After my morning post I crack open the local newspaper and low and behold one of the articles is about the Mother Road Fest being taken over by a local group. So it looks like I need to contact them as well as see about Hotel and dinner accommodations. I think the pet thing is Bogus BS. Plenty of folks had their dogs with them downtown last weekend at the Music and Art event. Anyway I will see what I can come up with. Since it now seems to be happening I hope some of you can make it. I also would ask those of you on social media to pass this along to Opel Groups on Facebook and such. Time to get together and have some Fun!

·
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spent some time last week trying to get some answers to things we need to know about this years Mother Road. So far kind of a mixed bag. Had a good phone conversation with my contact on the Board of Directors for the event. Actually was offered a seat on the Board. I will have to think about that. Anyway, was told the dog thing was not an issue. Somebody did not think about the fact they had no control over the crowd bringing in their dogs and a lot of car folks travel with their pets. According to my contact the event should be pretty much as it has been in the past. We should still have our spot on North 6TH Street. My thought is to ask the local European Car Club to join us there.
Some of our group found our old Hotel to be less than acceptable the last time we were there, I am looking into other places. I talked to the folks at Motorheads Restaurant but that may not work as they may have others things going on that weekend and they are often packed on a regular weekend. There are other choices depending on where we try to stay. To help me when talking to hotel and dinner venues please let me know if you are looking to stay and how many nights. Also what nights you may want to eat with the group. I doubt we will do the Saturday afternoon auction and door prize thing this year. Opel Awards may or may not happen depending on what our turnout looks like. The event judging will still happen with three Opel Awards presented onstage on Sunday.
I still think this is a Midwest Event worth attending. As always your input on any of this is truly welcomed.
Cat Carnivore Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,422 Posts
We plan on attending, if you'll let us park with you guys in our Honda Del Sol.
We would stay 2 nights, but probably not make the group dinner. Beer and BS afterwards is a definite.
p.s. John - that's a nice picture of you!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts