Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Connie tends to have a thing for hairy guys. I think it is said over time people and their pets tend to resemble each other. I might buy that. Although I could claim it was a selfy, it is in fact our last fur ball Romeo. After living 19 years with us he had to be put down earlier this year. He was a character, his presence is missed. Threw the photo in for fun but may consider it for my avatar. To most of us pets are family, thus they should be at the show.
Oh and by the way you can park a skidsteer with if you want.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,421 Posts
Connie tends to have a thing for hairy guys. I think it is said over time people and their pets tend to resemble each other. I might buy that. Although I could claim it was a selfy, it is in fact our last fur ball Romeo. After living 19 years with us he had to be put down earlier this year. He was a character, his presence is missed. Threw the photo in for fun but may consider it for my avatar. To most of us pets are family, thus they should be at the show.
Oh and by the way you can park a skidsteer with if you want.
After having Opels, a skidsteer would have too much HP for me to handle.

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Allen and I would like to come I. For Friday and Saturday night. We will leave the fur kid at home Would like to do OpelOpel dinners and stay in Opel hotel. A better hotel would be nice. But Route 66 is close and has been cheap and they tolerate Opel drinking. Things to consider

=Vickie and Allen

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,421 Posts
The show organizer has confirmed that pets are no problem. And the points about Route 66 motel being close, cheap and tolerating us are important and well-taken.

·
Opeler
728 Posts
Jessie and I are planning to attend with our GT. We found an Airbnb close to downtown so this will likely be our accommodations for the weekend. The Rt 66 hotel has been less than impressive the past several years.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Been trying to work on the club hotel issue. As we have talked about before several things come into play. Although maybe not first and foremost, Price, then things like trailer parking, Hospitality room that allows us to bring in booze, allows pets, decent rooms, location. Yes, the Rt. 66 Hotel checked most of those boxes. Unfortunately several of our group have said the rooms and Hotel have declined to a point they will not stay there. We have been spoiled by the cost and convenience of the location. I think it has been the lowest overall cost of rooms at any of our major shows. Especially with the short time frame we are working under it is tuff to find a good alternative. I may have found a somewhat higher priced contender. I hope to get confirmation of this offer in the next few days. Bottom line is $95 plus tax per night. Comped Hospitality room, Booze allowed. They control other properties nearby if extra parking is needed and one of the close properties can be booked with pets but maybe not at same price. This is all located near the shopping center they start the Friday night cruise at. This would also open some new dinning choices. Now if some want to use the old Hotel I see no problem with that. The price they were giving us before was little different from regular price. If some of our group stay there we might still use it as a point to start from for convoy to downtown Saturday. I was by there today to check it out. They are doing some remodel work but I do not know if it is for the guest rooms or public areas. Overall it has not changed much. I was shown a room at the new location and it was nice.
As always discussion is welcome.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Definitely all in on the festival this year. We will be there! Wouldn't miss it for the world. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. As far as hotels go, I concur that the Route 66 hotel has declined drastically. We went there last year with the kids seeing the sites around Springfield. I thought it would be fun to stay there and show the kids where we go every year. We got two rooms. They smelled bad and musty, The TV was broken in one room. Cozy Dogs were good, Lol. Ready to seek other venues. I don't think $95 is all that bad. I don't think it could be worse. I will always have fond memories of the Route 66. Hopefully someone in the future will refurbish this historic hotel. If Route 66 hotel is the choice this year, we will be there in spite of the negatives.
I'm definitely bringing the GT. Once again will bring one of the VWs. Might bring a diff one this year just to toss things up a bit :) If you guys ever want to see what we are up to, you can check out our youtube channel. Lots of videos on there. Just let us know what you find out John! Looking forward to the event.

·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I got confirmation on everything today so time to make it official.

CLUB HOTEL

Comfort Suites
2620 S. Dirksen Pkwy.
Springfield, IL 62703
217-753-4000
15 Room Block

Room Rate=$95.00 + tax per night

Those with pets will need to book at the
Candlewood Suites Across Dirksen Pkwy at
2501 Sunrise Dr.
Springfield, IL 62703
217-522-5100
Room rate also $95.00

We will have a Hospitality room at Comfort Suites on Friday and Saturday evenings.
If you bring your Opel on a trailer you may be asked to drop your car and move trailer to the Candlewood property area.
I have yet to get the okay for Pets in the Hospitality room but I believe it will be okay.

Now all of this does not mean you can not book a room at the Route 66 Hotel if you wish, I have not asked but I suspect the rate will be close to the last time we stayed there. If enough people stay there we may still use it as a rally point to go downtown.

I have not set up places for dinner yet, but there are at least 4 places within walking distance of the Hotel depending on how many people we have. IHOP is across Dirksen Pkwy.
The starting point for the Friday night cruise is a few blocks down Dirksen.

Something else I recently found out, Keith Lundholm of New Vintage Automotive may be bringing a car for a customer. This would be a good time to meet Keith and have him bring parts or cut keys.

Okay folks, I am going to need feedback on just about everything discussed here.
Thanks
John

·
Opeler
850 Posts
I just registered. Kerri and I are looking forward to seeing everyone. Plan on us for dinner Friday and Saturday. Thanks for all your efforts, John.

Bill

·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Folks we are about a month out from the event. I would ask that those who are coming let me know where they plan to stay. In the past we have done our Saturday morning meet up at the Route 66 Hotel. If people are staying there we may do so again, if not then we will switch to new location. Not quite a straight shot but not hard. Looks like we could have around 12 for Friday dinner so it may be possible to do Smokey Bones BBQ with a call in. Also within walking distance is Mexican, Hooters, Red Lobster, and Dew Chili. The Chili is not recommended but the rest of the menu is not bad. Would love to do Motorheads on Saturday but may have go with Pizza Ranch Buffet. Those of you on Facebook and other such sites spread the word.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,449 Posts
Haven't done any registrations yet, but plan to drive up on Friday and stay in the recommended hotel. I'm in for Friday and Saturday dinner, but not at the Dew... o_O

Dewter, ahem, I mean Dieter :ROFLMAO:

·
148 Posts
Had planned on coming this year, but alas, the momentum slowed on my interior refresh, and a Getrag upgrade is delayed in Poland... hopefully next year.

·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Time is getting short. I just pre-registered my GT. You can still save yourself $10 from day of event. I still could use some feedback on where you are staying in town. The last two days we have had great weather here. More often than not the the same is true for the event weekend.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,421 Posts
Registered today. We'll be staying at the Microtel, just across Dirksen from Comfort Suites. It turned out to be a very reasonable option for those with pets - which is probably just us!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Time is getting short. I just pre-registered my GT. You can still save yourself $10 from day of event. I still could use some feedback on where you are staying in town. The last two days we have had great weather here. More often than not the the same is true for the event weekend.
John, sorry I have not posted a confirmation concerning the show until now. Vicki and I unfortunately will be passing on coming this year. I have too many things I am behind on getting done; including a garage remodel project so I can more comfortably work on my 71 GT to prep it for body work. I still have not repaired the damage from 2019. Last October, I bought two more GTs from a family friend that has had them for many years. I have a 72 GT automatic that I always wanted, plus a 70 parts car GT that is a basket case. I will be stripping parts from it and cutting it up. I still have my 75 Opel Sportwagon that is sitting outside under cover that I would like to get in the garage.
Also, my wife, Vicki is still recovering from small cell lung cancer surgery back on June 2nd. The cancer was caught very early; however, she had the whole upper lobe of her right lung removed in a 5 hour surgery. No chemotherapy needed; she is free of cancer. She was never a smoker, but was around a lot of second-hand smoke growing up from her dad smoking and other family members. Vicki has gone back to teaching at Purdue University, but does not have her full energy back yet. I'll plan to call you and Connie soon. Please pass on our greetings to the others in the Opel group. Happy Opelling! Randall Stirm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Will be coming late on Friday with my Opel and hope to meet up in hospitality room later

Hope to see all there or in our Opel spot!

·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Okay folks, time to get into some specifics about this years event.

Friday the 24th
People start to arrive most years around noon. Not sure if anyone will be in town before 11:00am Friday but if so we might could have lunch with some of the local European Car Club. If not I will be around the Hotel sometime in the afternoon. Around 5 or 6:00pm you have a choice between taking part in the in the Cruise from Capitol City Shopping Center to downtown or having dinner with the group. I think we will try and get in to the Smokey Bones BBQ place across from the hotel. We will also try and get the Hospitality room open about that time.

Saturday the 25th
Since we are at a new hotel I would ask those who wish to go downtown as a group meet there by 8:00am that morning. Part of our trip will be on a new route but we will end up on 6th street/Route 66. So it will be a straight shot to the main gate and then down 6th street to our usual spot. Anyone not able to make it that early just meet us there. I am trying to get some of the local European Car folks to park with us that day.
Since this has been an odd year and who knows what kind of turn out I did not get people's choice awards or door prizes. So no real need for parts auction. On the plus side of that is we can cut out for dinner somewhat earlier. I spoke to the owner of Motorheads restaurant and he feels he can get us in there for dinner. Hospitality room after.

Sunday the 26th
Show awards are giving out about12:30 pm. Anyone who wants to go can catch me at the hotel around 10:00 am.

This years decal attached.
Motor vehicle Guitar accessory Hood Font Wheel

21 - 40 of 70 Posts