Opel GT Forum banner

Will you be attending.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,697 Posts
John, to have a date is already a good start! It's in my calendar!

Dieter

·
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To somewhat answer a few questions. The event will probably follow past patterns. Cruise to downtown on Friday evening, Downtown show and entertainment Saturday and Awards Sunday. Our group will probably follow past practice also. This is something we need more discussion about on here. Some of what we may or may not do will be determined by the size of our group. We'll get into that more as we go along. Part of the equation is how well the new management wants to work with us. I am trying to get a conversation with the guy in charge but have yet to connect. I would like to see us lead the cruise to downtown as we did at the last Nationals in Springfield. Also I am trying to get an Opel on the official event t-shirt. About the only open times during the weekend for us would be Friday before the start of the cruise and Sunday after awards. Friday might be a chance to check out the Corvair Museum about 5 miles south of town. Thanks to Sonic dog for finding the link to the City's announcement site for the event, for those who have been here you may want to look up our past threads for the Route 66 Rest. I am also thinking about a retro type printed t-shirt for our group and will be talking with Greco Graphics about that.
More posts to come

·
Registered
The Young One
1,368 Posts
What time do you guys cruise to downtown on Friday? And what time are the awards usually on Sunday?

My grandpa and I might come but I have school on Friday and we have a 5 hour drive.

·
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YGL
The cruise to downtown starts around 6:00 pm from a shopping center very close to what I think will be our club Hotel. Not everyone will be involved with that. Some will prefer to have dinner together that evening. Also getting in Friday evening makes it possible to be a part of the Saturday morning caravan to the downtown show field. We try to have everyone ready to leave the Hotel area around 8:00 AM. Of course, as anyone who has been here knows getting Opeler's to do something in unison is like herding cats. Our Awards are usually given out by 1:00 PM on the main stage Sunday. We will probably have our in club participant judged awards Saturday evening. This is something that will need more discussion later.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,368 Posts
YGL
The cruise to downtown starts around 6:00 pm from a shopping center very close to what I think will be our club Hotel. Not everyone will be involved with that. Some will prefer to have dinner together that evening. Also getting in Friday evening makes it possible to be a part of the Saturday morning caravan to the downtown show field. We try to have everyone ready to leave the Hotel area around 8:00 AM. Of course, as anyone who has been here knows getting Opeler's to do something in unison is like herding cats. Our Awards are usually given out by 1:00 PM on the main stage Sunday. We will probably have our in club participant judged awards Saturday evening. This is something that will need more discussion later.
My grandpa and I probably wouldn’t be able to make the cruise to down town, since my school ends at 3:00 and we have a 5 hour drive. We still need to talk about it so we will see what happens.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,697 Posts
My grandpa and I probably wouldn’t be able to make the cruise to down town, since my school ends at 3:00 and we have a 5 hour drive. We still need to talk about it so we will see what happens.
You might not feel well on Friday morning and skip school for the day. The air in Springfield will be saturated with gasoline over the weekend, the smell will immediately make you feel better!

Dieter

·
Registered
The Young One
1,368 Posts
You might not feel well on Friday morning and skip school for the day. The air in Springfield will be saturated with gasoline over the weekend, the smell will immediately make you feel better!

Dieter
I wish. My mom said I can’t skip school. But hopefully I can come for a little bit.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perhaps a little history would be good here. The concept of a rotating National Opel meet was first proposed at the 2005 Opel Motorsport Club 25th annual Picinic. At that point in time if you wanted to see more than 7 Opels in the same place you had to go there. That meant traveling to CA. The five-year anniversaries were attended by people from around the country and from Europe. Some drove Opels from as far away as the east coast. The idea for the Nationals was to have a major event each year that folks would be willing to travel to with or without an Opel. Those of us who were part of that conversation felt it might improve attendance and allow more folks to experience the camaraderie if it were in different locals each year. I think this is the 4th time it has been held in conjunction with the Springfield IL, event. I think our best showing to date is something like 35 Opels and 60 or so people. Since this is the 20-year anniversary of Opels attending the
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
International Route 66 Mother Road Fest it would be nice to improve on that showing. I will add some pics from an earlier National. You got to love the picture of all those Opels on Route 66.

·
Administrator
10,366 Posts
It is a great event with blocks of the city lined with cars of all types. John has done a great job organizing this over the past 20 years!
If the stars align, I hope to be driving my Mancona on the1,200 mile trip.

·
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A little more updated info. Contacted the new event organizer today. He was on board with my requests. We will as usual have our parking spot downtown. His words were, that area is the Opels until they no longer want it. Also those who want to be in the Cruise to Downtown will be first in line behind the Military and First Responders who are the Grand Marshalls. This is a big deal and makes being a part of the Cruise more enjoyable. People line most of the route in lawn chairs and wave to the Cars. On top of all of that he is interested in the idea of having an Opel be a part of the design on the Official Event T-shirt that is given to participants.

On the topic of t-shirts, I also went to Greco Graphics to see about a concept for our Opel Nationals Shirt. I will include that concept. I went with the idea of a retro silk screen shirt. Dave indicated he could take orders and ship once he sets up a web store. People will also have a chance to order other Opel stuff. He will take orders and payment for the silk screen shirts for a given amount of time and then produce and ship in one batch. Embroidered product orders can be produced and shipped as they come in. More on this as it set up.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 79 Posts