Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Spring 2022 Charlotte AutoFair is a go and scheduled for April 7th thru the 10th. I will be posting more information as I get it. Make plans to attend as this show seems to be the one that kicks off the car show season!

If interested and need information, just call or text me at 704-661-3666. You can email me at [email protected] or [email protected] (O’s, not zeros in Ooooner).

Here is a link to the show: Charlotte AutoFair - The Largest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast!

Roy Bell

·
Super Moderator
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
5 days until the Spring AutoFair ramps up! I went to the credentials meeting at the Speedway Thursday evening to pick up our club passes. I was surprised at how many car clubs turned out. Four new clubs which brings the total to be there over 60! WOW!

The show will include a $5 million dollar Ferrari on display that Rick Hendrick owns. Only 499 of them ever made. Also, very high end foreign cars will be on display as well. I'm happy to see this because this is a show for ALL cars but usually muscle cars are the main deal. I have noticed more and more foreign cars are beginning to show up. Our Opel's have been attending for over 20 years now! We actually won the whole AutoFair "Best In Show" one year!

I still have a few spaces left for Opel's if you want to attend. Saturday, April 9th and Sunday, April 10th are the big show days. I have a few Friday passes, April 8th, if you would like to attend on Friday! This is new to the AutoFair as they are starting to let car club people bring their cars in on Friday! (about time).

A link to the show: Charlotte AutoFair - The Largest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast!

Feel free to contact me at either [email protected] or [email protected]. (O's, not zero's in Ooooner)

By the way, you do not need to be in a Opel Club to attend. All Opel's are welcome!

Roy Bell

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
985 Posts
Hey Roy, I would love to be there this spring however having my left eye done on the 4th - Cataract surgery. Right eye was done this past Monday and I am typing on the computer without glasses for the first time in, well a lot of years - OMG....Very Happy.......So will take a pass on the spring show this year but looking forward to the next one. Hope it is a great show, I really enjoyed last year and disappointed that I will be unable to attend this year but feel it is a pretty good trade off. Later, Carl

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,670 Posts
First, thank you so much Roy and Yvonne for being such excellent hosts, for all the work and love you put in to have us at your house. I would come to your place anytime, even without having a car show! :D(y)
This was my first car show where my wife Valerie actually joined me. She offered it to come along after she figured out that I actually didn't want to go and leave her alone over the weekend, because I just came home after being in Germany for 4 weeks. Ain't she sweet? A real keeper!!! :love:
I had quite a lot of people stop and talk to me about the Polizeiauto and me being in the uniform. A lot of people asked me whether the car (and/or me) were from Poland, France, Italy, Ukraine, ..., Germany was probably only ranked on 10th place or so.
When Valerie and me were walking through the show field, another dozen people were asking to have their pictures taken with me or told me that they saw my car earlier through the day, "over there where the Opels are"!
On my way to Concord on Friday evening, just 10 miles before the exit, my truck made a very odd and expensive-sounding noise, a puff of smoke was behind me for a second, and I lost all power (as it seemed). Slowing down, I realized that the engine is still running, with a lot less power than usual, but good for about 55-60 mph on a level Interstate. Almost no boost anymore from the turbochargers. I pulled into the hotel, unloaded the Opel, and we went to Roy's place. Saturday of course we were at the show field, and today we made it home. Without turbocharger, needing about 7 hours for 300 miles. But without any other hiccup. Oil pressure and level are fine, can't go more than 60 mph and that only if it's on a slight downhill street. I haven't even unloaded the Opel yet, will just drive the whole setup to my truck repair place tomorrow on my way to work, and get going with the Polizeiauto.

Dieter

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Super Moderator
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dieter, glad you could make it with your wife! Enjoyed you guys at my home with other Opel people and with food and good times. I could tell you had a great time, especially when you handcuffed that girl and there her in the backseat of the patrol car! 😂

Other Opelers were having fun even with the weather being pretty cool.

Looking forward to Carlisle!

Roy

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
985 Posts
Dieter, glad you could make it with your wife! Enjoyed you guys at my home with other Opel people and with food and good times. I could tell you had a great time, especially when you handcuffed that girl and there her in the backseat of the patrol car! 😂

Other Opelers were having fun even with the weather being pretty cool.

Looking forward to Carlisle!

Roy
How about some more pictures..................Eh

·
Super Moderator
8,290 Posts
Great time as usual. Wish we could get more Opel people to show up. Met a new to the group Opel person. Roy got her info. Hopefully she'll be able to bring her's next time.

Harold
P.S. It was windy and cold. Fair weather friend that I am, I hid in our car for a good portion of the time trying to stay warm.

·
Super Moderator
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, mine did…. It’s pretty cool how the AutoFair folks do it right! I just wish more Opelers would show up. Such a great show in a great setting. Tons of venders, too.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Congratulations. Roy. How did you do Sunday? Truly wanted to be there, but no trailer to put her on.:( We'll be there Fall for sure. Going to have to back out on Carlisle as well. But have a bunch of "stuff " to put on her as upgrades. Hope all went well. Saw Dieter and his car, and Laurie's car in the background of one of the photos. What was the Opel Count?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Your's isn't driveable?

Harold
It is Harold, but 1 1/2 hrs to Charlotte, then? Roll out, crawl to the fender and climb up. I give new adage to the phrase " I'm on the ground, and I can't get up" Lol. Seriously, it makes me mad, but you know the Gt is cramped, and "some" of us aren't getting any younger. I had no trailer too. So I went to the Races.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts