· Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rectangle Font Poster Logo Event

It's a go.. 11 months :)

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,652 Posts
It's always nice when a car show is tied in with another major event or large car show. Carlisle is special because it's conjoined with the Foreign Car Nationals and has tons of vendors, music, shops, other exotic cars, etc. Charlotte is special because it's at a race track with thousands of muscle cars to look at. I guess Springfield is also part of a major town car show. The best car shows that I go to near me are the ones in the middle of a town or at a town fair. Lots to look and shop at, eateries, and.....most importantly....... lots of people who aren't greasy grumpy car dudes. The worst shows I've been to are the ones that the only people who come to see the cars are the guys that entered the show. Just a whole bunch of car dudes in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere. Booooooooring!

· Registered
155 Posts
That’s nice and close to me. I’ll try to make it if it’s not the wkend of 9/22-25 (taking my King Midget to a micro car meet at Cape May NJ) and my car isn’t in a body shop somewhere getting “un-deered” :)

1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's always nice when a car show is tied in with another major event or large car show. Carlisle is special because it's conjoined with the Foreign Car Nationals and has tons of vendors, music, shops, other exotic cars, etc. Charlotte is special because it's at a race track with thousands of muscle cars to look at. I guess Springfield is also part of a major town car show. The best car shows that I go to near me are the ones in the middle of a town or at a town fair. Lots to look and shop at, eateries, and.....most importantly....... lots of people who aren't greasy grumpy car dudes. The worst shows I've been to are the ones that the only people who come to see the cars are the guys that entered the show. Just a whole bunch of car dudes in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere. Booooooooring!
True.. this is neither and both. It works for the 30th anniversary, and won't be a parking lot. Think more family picnic. ;)

The issue is this is the "off year" where there are no clubs to hold the event, Carlisle just did it, Springfield this, then the off year, then Charlotte, then OMC, Rinse and repeat.

So a perfect chance to do a quick Richmond, VA meet like I used to 30 years ago.

This was one of the last meets in 1996.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle

There are surprisingly a lot of Opel owners in the Tidewater region of Virginia, DC area, Northern North Carolina, that don't go to any meets. But would go to Richmond.

The biggest difference this event will have over Carlilse, will be no one else promoting it.. so it will be on me and the Richmond group to help out. Believe it or not since this photo, there are more Opelers and more cars in the area than there were then. But I won't start that promotion until after Springfield.

1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
1998 was the last then we just did Carlisle. So technically based on this it's the 39th anniversary of the MOA ( It wasnt called that though ) when they had the meets in MD.

My involvement started in 1993 if memory serves.. Thus the 30th..

Ecoregion Map World Slope Rectangle

This is only the potential location.. I am working with a number of Breweries to do a possible Octoberfest car show in 2022. That we would join in force in 2023 :)

1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Plans are jelling for next year.

This year on October 1st I am coordinating with a local brewery to do a European Oktoberfest Car Show. If all goes to plan this will be the location of the national meet at the following years Oktoberfest. Possibly a tradition in the making for the European car lovers of Virginia.

We will have about 100 cars and be blocking off 7th street as well.

Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Screenshot

Trophy Award Metal Event Fashion accessory

So anyone in the Richmond VA area October 1st come and join us for the 1st RVA Okoberfest Carshow.

1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well as we know I volunteered to me next years host for the National meet.

But I wanted to do a trial run first.. and well let me tell you The Inangural RVA Oktoberfest show was a great success..

Even if it was rescheduled due to a hurricane.

Automotive parking light Car Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Cloud Tire

Furniture Table Chair Coffee table Automotive tire

Car Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Tire

This is the main vintage/exotic display area.. there was more.

Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Car

Great turn out and the quality of the cars was fantastic.

Everyone was surprised by the number and variety of Opels there ( We had 4 and represented the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2010s )

So imagine next years event when we have 10x that there ;)

So check your schedule and pencil in Sept 30th 2023 Richmond VA for our National meet I will have more info coming like Hotel and other information soon.

Attachments

· Registered
Youngest Opel Record Holder!
2,547 Posts
Cool I didn’t even know that was going on! Maybe next year I can drive the 69! Unless I am busy with school.

• Love
Reactions: GoinManta

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,652 Posts
Is that large building in the background of the last pic a motel or condos/apartments? Wow, if that was a motel, then folks coming to the show could get rooms right at the show and even overlooking it.

1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that large building in the background of the last pic a motel or condos/apartments? Wow, if that was a motel, then folks coming to the show could get rooms right at the show and even overlooking it.
Its apartments like many other citys areas where the industrial section is on the rivier is getting built with a lot of apartments. Sadly after next years show an apartment complex will be being built in front of the brewery.. ( blocking about 50% of the skyline view ) The area on the other side of teh brewery where a truck spring shop is will also be bulldozed and replaced with apartments. While good for business they are on very valuable land, and it wouldnt surprize me within 5-10 years they move the brewery and sell as well.

1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bonus of the event.. is after the event, we can have our awards and such at the venue and not have to go anywhere for dinner ;)

· Registered
412 Posts
As I'm planning my trips/travel for 2023. The HMM 163 squadron reunion is moving it's date to end of July which opens up the National date for me. As it was both events were in conflict. So, with that said, I should be in Richmond and my better half my make it.

1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Motor vehicle Car Font Automotive parking light Wheel

Cards heading out now to GIl and Todd.

So anyone think I should plan an outing on Friday ? Thinking a drive to the Civil war museum on the other side of the River from Legend and then dinner there. That way many will know how to get there come Saturday morning. This event will be a little lower key than some of the bigger events, as the event starts at 11am. So we will have time to either go as a group to "Cars and Coffee" and then head to Legend or to sleep in from the long drive to get here ( or the long night on Firday.. whichever ). This should be more like Carlilse in that aspect.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

· Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,822 Posts
It's a National Meet, you need to have something on Friday!

Dieter

• Love
Reactions: GoinManta

1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts