Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to fit 225/70/14 tires under a 1972 opel gt?
please forgive my ignorance on this, as i have never owned one before.

i was just wondering about this, as i was reading some figures about top speeds in these cars. and if my math is correct, with this size tire, a 3.44 gear ratio in the rear end, and a redline figure of 6000 rpm's a top speed of 137.95 mph should be attainable.

was just looking for some confirmation on this or if this tire size is even a possibility. if not could someone tell me the largest tire to fit under this car

thank you

eric

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe in the back, if you jack the rearend way up in the air, but I really doubt it. Those are 26.4" tall, about the size of the wheel opening. It'd be size-on-size like a bearing. They'd rub all the time, no room for travel. Tires also move front-back a little also.

They'd really kill your performance. It'd be dog out of the hole. Just like 2.95:1 gears. Unless you have a turbo or engine swap, it'd make an average car very slow.

Basically, a stock '72 engine has enough power to redline at it's peak speed. You might be able to get a little more speed out if it, like 3 mph, beyond that it doesn't have the power. Power required is porportional to the speed CUBED. To go 138 mph you'll need 50-60 more hp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply, i hadnt looked really close at the wheel size before i asked. after asking this i now realize that the car has 13 inch wheels, and i would have ot agree with oyur idea that it would rub all of the time.

as far as the extra hp, that could be achieved in a couple of ways.

thanks again

eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.