Opel GT Forum banner

341 - 360 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The EPS is in and working!

Very nice Gary. Do you think this could be used for any Ascona? Or is it item specific. Excellent video and the steering is awesome with it running. Jarrell

Reactions: dpre

·
RunOpel
1,278 Posts
Very nice Gary, I love it :yup: What did it cost?

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Very nice Gary, I love it :yup: What did it cost?
Thanks. the total cost was around $150.
$50 for the Saturn steering column. $60 for the controller. $10 for a heat sink for the relocated EPS module. $30 for a shaft coupling.
The EPS motor fits nicely under the dash at about the 10:00 position. I relocated the EPS Module to the firewall just above the fuse box and added a heat sink to dissipate any heat.
The most difficult part was keeping everything in alignment when welding the shaft to the coupling.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Thanks. the total cost was around $150.
$50 for the Saturn steering column. $60 for the controller. $10 for a heat sink for the relocated EPS module. $30 for a shaft coupling.
The EPS motor fits nicely under the dash at about the 10:00 position. I relocated the EPS Module to the firewall just above the fuse box and added a heat sink to dissipate any heat.
The most difficult part was keeping everything in alignment when welding the shaft to the coupling.
Very nice and done super cheap!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd been considering doing this to my GT, using a electric power steering from something like a Toyota MR2. Underground parkade hallway is small enough it usually takes 3 wiggles to get into a stall. Haven't actually been behind the wheel of a GT yet, so, don't know whether I'd actually benefit much from it or not. For larger vehicles, this is one of the challenges of electric vehicle conversions, so, I'll pass this onto that community. $50 ain't bad at all.

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #348 (Edited)
Temp today was close to 50F on New Years day and rain washed the salt off of the road so.... It was time to take 'das Biest' for a spin and test out the new power steering.

The wagon ran great and the steering worked well. The steering controller worked well for the most part. A lot of movement of the wheel and you get full power assist. slight movement and you get little assist (highway mode). Cornering takes a little getting used to as the steering tightens up a little at the end of the turn. The controller does have sensitivity adjustments.

I might look into changing out the rear gear ratio. It has 3.73's now and I'm in first for about 3 seconds.

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Gears or Tires?

The wagon has a Volvo 240 rear end which is a Dana 30 with 3.73 gearing and a G80 locker. That combo with my 195x60x14 tires puts the RPM's at 3,541 when going 65 mph. I'd like to drop that down and decrease the total first gear ratio (14.2:1) down.

Motor specs:
Max torque at 3,600 RPM
Max HP at 6,000 RPM

A ratio of 3.07 would bring the RPM's in 4th gear at 65 down to 2,915 and the first gear total ratio to 11.7:1

Jeeps use a Dana 30 in their front diff and the 3.07's are readily available.

The problem I'm running into is the Volvo Dana 30 uses a different carrier for ratios under 3.73. And I haven't been able to find info if the 3.07 ring gear will work with the G80 carrier. I can get a Jeep carrier and gears for ~$150 and if I go that route I may lose the locker if the gears don't fit.

Another option would be to go to larger diameter tires. 225x70x14's will increase the diameter by 3 inches which drops the 65 mph RPM's down to 3,800. The problem with that option would be possible wheel well clearance and ride height. Ride height can somewhat be set by adjusting the coilovers.

Time for a beer!

·
Opeler
3,699 Posts
I might look into changing out the rear gear ratio. It has 3.73's now and I'm in first for about 3 seconds.
I know what you are talking about. First gear is so short at both 4-speed and Getrag 5-speed transmission that it becomes almost unusable if you have higher power engine. That is the reason why I kept 3.44 ratio in my differential. I still last only 2-3 seconds in the first gear before possibly over revving the engine.

·
Registered
742 Posts
With 215/65 14 tires the RPM at 65MPH would be 3250, not optimal, but better than 3500+. Forget the 225/70 tires, the car would look like it has Donald Ducks tires on it(if they fit).:)

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #352

Attachments

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The wagon has a Volvo 240 rear end which is a Dana 30 with 3.73 gearing and a G80 locker. That combo with my 195x60x14 tires puts the RPM's at 3,541 when going 65 mph. I'd like to drop that down and decrease the total first gear ratio (14.2:1) down.

Motor specs:
Max torque at 3,600 RPM
Max HP at 6,000 RPM

A ratio of 3.07 would bring the RPM's in 4th gear at 65 down to 2,915 and the first gear total ratio to 11.7:1

Jeeps use a Dana 30 in their front diff and the 3.07's are readily available.

The problem I'm running into is the Volvo Dana 30 uses a different carrier for ratios under 3.73. And I haven't been able to find info if the 3.07 ring gear will work with the G80 carrier. I can get a Jeep carrier and gears for ~$150 and if I go that route I may lose the locker if the gears don't fit.

Another option would be to go to larger diameter tires. 225x70x14's will increase the diameter by 3 inches which drops the 65 mph RPM's down to 3,800. The problem with that option would be possible wheel well clearance and ride height. Ride height can somewhat be set by adjusting the coilovers.

Time for a beer!
Don't know why but I figured you had a 5 speed getrag in there...... So what tranny are you running behind that mighty 6 cylinder beauty?

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Don't know why but I figured you had a 5 speed getrag in there...... So what tranny are you running behind that mighty 6 cylinder beauty?
It's the R25-28 5 speed that came with the 3.0. The tire charts show the RPM's in 4th gear (1:1) 5th is 0.814:1

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Gears PLUS Tires

After waaay to much searching, here is my latest option: 3.31 rear ratio with 215 x 60 x 14 tires = 2992 RPM @ 65 mph. That combo will bring my RPM's to close to what the Jeep 3.07 gears would be and will bring my first gear speed at shift point to ~33 mph.

A complete Volvo rear end with 3.31 gears is available at a local yard for $175. It is a bolt on swap.

Keeping my current tires will give me 3142 RPM's @65.

I will lose the locker but they are selling for over $200.

The 3.07's from a Jeep presented too many variables. Used gear sets with carrier run ~$150 and there are so many variations it would be a crap shoot to find the correct one. Plus add in the set up of the ring and pinion gears and new bearings.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Very nice

Reactions: Gary

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
I found a rear end with 3.31 gears locally. While installing it, I changed out the wheel spacers. Spacers were needed for the wheels to clear the end of the axles. The original ones were too thick and they relied on the lugs to center the wheels. The new spacers are half the thickness and allow the Minilites to be centered by the axle shaft along with the lugnuts.

Took it for a spin the other day and the results are amazing... The car is very streetable now. First gear is like a normal car, still lights up the tires in second, and ~2,700 rpm's at 65 in 5th!

Next up, Mancona conversion!

341 - 360 of 361 Posts