Opel GT Forum banner

24v Ascona Wagon Upgrade

52K views 360 replies 41 participants last post by  Gary 
#1 ·
After slowly working on it for the past two years, things are moving forward with this transplant.

More updates to follow.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What a beautiful engine! This is awesome! I didn't know there were any of these in the States? :bs2:

But really, great work Gary. Can't wait to see it.

Dieter

#18 ·
Totally agree, I had an Omega Wagon with this engine back in the day and it's a really nice engine.

I miss that car, talk about sleeper, not many wagons with that kind of performance around here at the time and the Omega wasn't exactly known as a performance car

#9 ·
The R25 that I have is set up for a hydraulic clutch and the slave cylinder is on the passenger side. (opposite from the 1.9) I don't think it can be easily swapped to the other side.

I think that you can use the flywheel assembly. Just check if the tranny input shaft is the same length as the 1.9.

#13 ·
Good point. The "new" driveshaft will be made once the engine is in place and I get an accurate length. The front section will be shortened and then mated to the Ascona d-shaft.

Attachments

#22 ·
Curve Ball

The engine is out. Front end out. Interior/dash are out. New radiator and fan installed. All the measurements for cutting the firewall checked, double and triple checked. I was literally reaching for the cutter when the phone rang.

It was the casting company I worked for last year calling to see if my cars were available for a '70's era movie filming starting next month. I had submitted pics of the GT and wagon a while back. I asked which one and she said both, they could be used on different days and that I would be used as an extra when the cars are on set.

The shooting starts in about a month. It would be neat to have two Opel's in a movie. So the dilemma is do I go forward with the 3.0 conversion or put the 1.9 back in? :banghead:

#24 ·
The blog was updated today and I will be putting the 1.9 parts back in the wagon for now.

There would not be enough time to finish this project before filming starts and I figured that opportunities like this are rare and it would be good to see an Opel get this kind of exposure, so back together it goes. :banghead:

24V Ascona A Conversion

#26 ·
These are the threads I love the most. Anything about engines and more power is just freakin awsome.
This is a really cool one.
My favorite engine I've ever owned has been my Honda 3.0 V-tech V6. 200hp 195 lbs/t (from my 99 Accord). Very strong, super smooth, great sounding and loved to rev! I've always dreamed of what that engine could do in my GT. Of course it"s 100% imposible being only in front wheel drive and probably too big, but hey! I'm a dreamer.

Back to the point. Your 3.0L I6 engine is super simular as far as output. 205 hp and 199 lbs/t.
And I'm sure those opel 6 cyl rev nice and are strong as hell. I guess in a weird way your doing the closes swap to my favorite 6cyl that can be done to an opel. That's pritty cool.
Your car is going to be soooo fast Gary!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

#27 ·
Gary or Bob,

can you please explain how the stabilizer bars replace the sway bar? I just can't figure it out... the sway bar is supposed to help both wheels to move up and down more simultaneously, while the stabilizer bars prevent the lower arms to move forward/backward under extreme acceleration/deceleration.
Also, I'm a little worried that you weakened the rear axle bracket (what's it called?) by mounting these stabilizers.

Dieter

#28 ·
Bob felt that with the heavier springs and the additional weight of the 6 cyl a sway bar might not be needed. Eliminating the stock bar removed a huge obstacle for the oil pan and exhaust. I am going to give it a try. I do have an Addco bar that can modified to mount in front if a sway bar is needed. Both the "L" brackets were reinforced with gussets. I'll take some close up pics of the bars tomorrow.

On a good note, the stock motor, trans and front end are back in the wagon. Just need to connect it all and put the interior back together and I now know where the location of the 3.0 will be so I can work on the motor mounts and try to figure out how to shorten the shifter. It is different from the 240 Getrag.

Motor out, motor in, motor out again... hey at least it's an Opel so it is fun!

#30 ·
Crap! That sucks.:banghead:

#31 ·
I have been driving the wagon everywhere this summer and will get back to the conversion when the weather changes. In the meantime I had some time to work on the motor mounts and updated the blog:

24V Ascona A Conversion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.