Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ladies and Gents fasten your seatbelts it's Bench Racing time

I agree whole heartedly that the 3SG motors are unbelievable in their ability to "go the distance" and a lot of people run them. If you can find them in a FR setup, it isn't entirely easy. I've had my hopes dashed a couple of times on getting one of these motors. I disagree with the comment about the 2jz motor not being suitable for a GT though. Yes , your balance is not going to be the best it can , but, how many people are going to put $100K into a motor to get 700+ HP and put it into a GT? Their not , they will use a somewhat stock version, because that much improvement over the stock 1.9 is going to knock their socks off . Keeping HP transfered to the ground and not drifting uncontroalbly is the key to any setup. As long as your just looking for a reasonably powered engine (by that I mean 150 to 260 HP) to drive around town or even race, you'll probably be happier.Of course your still going to be putting a lot of money into the cars chassis and structure reinforcement areas (BIG brakes too!). I am by default a Toyota freak, I love them. So i am biased, oh well. Through my search for the ellusive perfect FR Toyota set-up , I have come to realize there are few for use with the GT(Under $10K). I have chosen a somewhat difficult route myself. Seeing my inability to find a 3SG style motor anywhere near my location I had given up. But as I delved deeper into what might be possible I looked to my own truck where nestled a 22RE. Yep, they are too tall. But after installing a drysump , lowering the engine and transmission a tad (Which improves the center of gravity but kills clearance on normal roads,look out for that dead rabbit!!!), building a custom hood and voila, it will work (I just have to wait till I grow up to be wealthy). A total on the expenditures for this mod I am considering has already jumped to $12K. So there are tons of choices and few of them are entirely wrong , just some cause more headaches and lighter wallets. To make peace though I will admit the 3SG motor line-up is one of the best and if you can find one of these it is the way to go, just keep in mind a simple engine/tranny implant is not going to happen.
Please send stones in care of Ritter!

·
Registered
55 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL said:
If you want a motor better then the 2JZ-GTE I would say go with the 3SG toyota motor line up! It has been around a lot longer and it is just as easy to build up to 700 + hp infact most autocross pro racing SUPRA's (come stock with 2JZ-GTE) are being ripped out and replaced with the 3SGE/3SGTE motor line up!"
the 3S-GTE holds the highest HP/liter rating in the world right now. some other good toyota motors are the 4AGE 20 valve and the 4AGZE AE92 SUPERCHARGED w/ INTERCOOLER. the mr2s that have them are known to pull the front wheels up with a few minor mods.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Ladies and Gents fasten your seatbelts it's Bench Racing time

RITTER said:
If you can find them in a FR setup, it isn't entirely easy. I've had my hopes dashed a couple of times on getting one of these motors.

but, how many people are going to put $100K into a motor to get 700+ HP and put it into a GT?
there is a tranny that the supra guys use that bolts up to the 3S-GTE. it will take the power and is pretty cheap, i just cant remember what it is right now. if it is really important you can try asking the people at http://www.toysport.com/.

it wouldnt cost $100k to get 700hp out of the 3S-GTE, i'll admit its not real cheap, but that quote is excessive. with a stock 3S-GTE you can change the turbo, intercooler, headgasket, and injectors and run 2bar (or 29.4psi), atleast thats what i have heard.

·
Registered
98 Posts
there is a tranny that the supra guys use that bolts up to the 3S-GTE. it will take the power and is pretty cheap, i just cant remember what it is right now. if it is really important you can try asking the people at http://www.toysport.com/.
Thanks for the link , i'll look into contacting them and finding out about the tranny.
it wouldnt cost $100k to get 700hp out of the 3S-GTE, i'll admit its not real cheap, but that quote is excessive. with a stock 3S-GTE you can change the turbo, intercooler, headgasket, and injectors and run 2bar (or 29.4psi), atleast thats what i have heard.
OK i worded that one badly, but in order to place a 700+ HP engine in a car and not have it wrap up around ya your going to have to put quite a lump of money in it to be safe and race worthy. Probably not very far from the $100K mark is my guess. Any way thanks for all the great links, and I like getting to hash about toy motors to boot. They really are the best bang for the buck for improving our little 30+ year old vehicles as far as I am concerned.
Wish I lived closer to CA , I would love to see Kevin's car, I take it you just have the motor setting in it right now? how long before you have it wrapped up and ready to go? What other Mods are you looking to make in the future?
Oh and congrats on finishing College!
RITTER

·
Registered
55 Posts
no problem, before i saw an opel i was planning on buying an mr2, or a mrk2 supra, so i looked into the prices for toyota parts.

the $100k is still up there for a race car, but yeah you would end up paying more to keep from bending the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL said:
HP doesnt bend cars Torque does!

lol whats wrong with stock 245 hp? opels are light cars too! you dont need more then 250 hp for a nice street car.
so i put hp instead of torque.. it was late and i was tired. :p

you can never have enought power :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
1500? how does this even come close to 100K lol even the highest priced turbo kit out there is 3k my gosh show me who told you it would cost 100K?
If you'll go back and read the post, you might see that I was commenting on a 700+ HP 3SGE you had used as an example, Not a stock swap. Another thing I was trying to get across to other readers was that with any swap, if it deals with more torque and HP there are certain other areas on the car itself that must be upgraded to cope with this increase, mainly for safety which all cost money and therefore drive the cost up. Quite true, a stock swap comes nowhere near $100K. Even the 22RE I have thought of only came to a $12k Mod but that was with some serious Engine,Tranny,Rearend,Brake,body,safety, and a few other styling mods I wanted to make. Of course it all goes with the thought of having just a 200 HP / 215 LBS.FT engine. I am sure I would want larger brakes possibly all 4 disc. if using the 3s-ge. From what i have read it is (around) 240 HP , depending on what gen. motor you receive (could be a s low as 160 HP). Be carefull LOL so much, you may burst a vein or something! Thanks for the contact #! I hope no one misreads anything into this post ;)

RITTER

1 - 8 of 8 Posts