Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73' GT I just bought and I have a fuel line broken in the rear. There is one line exiting the tank which is metal and threaded into a nut, there is another line which is protected by a larger diameter hose and also goes to the tank & a third which is broken off @ the last bracket holding the three lines @ the rear of the car about 12" before they go throught the sheetmetal in the bottom of the car under the gas tank. It is bundled with the other lines and stops right at the back with the other two. Where does this third line go? There are a few holes in the back on the bottom but I cannot see where it should feed up and connect. This line dumps fuel when I try to get the car started with ether. Can somone maybe send me a digital pic of the lines on the bottom of thie 73' GT. My older GT's only have a two line setup.

Thanks
Eric Lang

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Three Fuel Lines?

I think the '73 had a fuel return line, such as fuel injected cars have. I don't really know what it hooks to at the engine end, as I have never worked on a '73 GT. A pressure relief valve, or the fuel pump? So that should be the "third" line, which sounds like it is disconnected. I suspect it should connect to a fitting on the tank.

The second line is probably the gas tank vent line. It should be a nylon line that connects to the rubber hoses (clear if stock, or more likely now murky as they hardened) that gather vapours from the tank, and sends them to the charcoal canister.

The line with the nut (compression fitting into the bottom of the tank, usually sits in a rubber cup?) sounds like the fuel line to the fuel pump. Does the '73 have an electric pump or mechanical?

Who out there has a '73 GT that can REALLY answer these questions?

HTH

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
Re: Three Fuel Lines?

kwilford said:
Who out there has a '73 GT that can REALLY answer these questions?
I have two that I have not worked on yet!

The '73 GT gas tank has 4 line connections. The one at the bottom goes to the fuel tank. The one at the top near the fill tube is the tank vent. The outboard one facing the rear is the vapor return from the fuel filter. (The fuel filter has 3 connections) The inboard one goes to the carbon canister. If you pull out the inboard drivers side taillight you should be able to see the vent line connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel line mystery 1973 GT

The line that was leaking turned out to be the rerurn line from the pump. The line that is broken off and has no connection at thje back is connected to a big can near the battery (about the size of a medium coffe can "carbon canister I guess") I fixed the leak but now have two more problems. I still need to know how the carbon canister hooks up to the tank, and I have fuel leaking from the carb on the passenger side. I have a used Weber 32/36 coming fthat should fix the carb problem but I need top find out how to fix the carbon canister connection. Any takers out there?

You guys have been great, thanks for all the advice and help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts