Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,674 Posts
Well, it's a nice car for sure with some attractive and unique appearance mods. He's clearly an anti-chromist, but the black look is clearly his thing, so that's okay. Easily reversible back to the chrome look if someone desired. Not the cleanest or nicest looking rear interior mod.

No where near being worth $34,000, though. But, to someone who wants a nice GT NOW, and doesn't want to send one they find that needs fixing up to a restorer, like Vintage Auto, it gets the job done. A well done restore to that level would easily cost $34K.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,368 Posts
Does it just have a very rough cam in it? I like the big exhaust tips and it sounds pretty good. I really like the blacked out look I would like to do that to my GT some day. I already have the blacked out front emblem and exhaust tips!

·
boomerang opeler
5,666 Posts
Am I imagining it or is the distributor moving like the rotor is catching the cap?

·
Can Opeler
4,040 Posts
Yeah nope. That’s an average GT at best. They need to divide that price by 2 at least.

It sounds like it’s down a cylinder to me and looks like it’s got some worn out motor mounts too.
Or they just decided to film a really bad cold start with no choke…

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Well, I'm not against mods on a GT if they improve the look and or performance of these 50+ year old cars, but I have to say that none of the mods on this car really accomplish that (in my opinion, of course) In every case (except perhaps the wheels?) I would prefer OEM. I'm particularly not a fan of the front bumper delete, but if that is your thing, have at it.
Gateway classic car prices tend to be "aspirational". My last GT ended up on their Las Vegas showroom, and I think they were asking ~ the same price at first.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, I'm not against mods on a GT if they improve the look and or performance of these 50+ year old cars, but I have to say that none of the mods on this car really accomplish that (in my opinion, of course) In every case (except perhaps the wheels?) I would prefer OEM. I'm particularly not a fan of the front bumper delete, but if that is your thing, have at it.
Gateway classic car prices tend to be "aspirational". My last GT ended up on their Las Vegas showroom, and I think they were asking ~ the same price at first.
Here is what gets me on Opel GT listings. I personally don't give a rat's (well you know) so much about the paint job. But why is it over and over again, people don't show the meat and taters of a car that is extremely prone to rust. Not to mention wiring problems. Did anyone notice the fuse box wires....If it was a through restoration, why was the steering column shaft so rusty. The front shock towers are extremely prone to rusting. No photo's of this area. The engine mount area just behind the front wheels, has it been patched up. When your asking for this kind of money for a car, WHY in the world would you not show these area's. As to the engine, we have all heard that kind of idle before......it is the sound of an engine running rich because all the vacuum leaks have not been addressed. My starting point would be to replace the 50 year old brake booster. A couple of my GT's have minor mods, but I honestly prefer the original look, drive and feel of an unmolested GT.

·
1,799 Posts
Car does not have a heater..... and what is dimmer switch on the floor controlling ?

·
UngerDog
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Windshield washer? I see an aftermarket reservoir where the OEM pneumatic washer bottle should be. I was wondering about the big white toggle switch on the dash under the cigar lighter.

View attachment 446269
I'm going to guess that switch which doesn't have a very professional finished look located where the heater controls would be is for the LED lights on the front grill that don't look so good either and probably don't serve any significant purpose like fog lights would.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting

The strip of what I'm guessing is a split piece of vinyl irrigation tubing or rubber hose above the grill shows some of the cheap methods used in the "restoration."

I can't find the windshield fluid reservoir. I'm going to make another guess that the switch where the windshield wiper fluid activator would be is either a switch for the high beams like cars had in the '60s or earlier or it is for an electric windshield fluid reservoir pump.

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Yeah, I thought this might be it, but I don't see any lines for the squirters. Any idea what this might be, then (round cap-like thing behind the booster)?
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm going to guess that switch which doesn't have a very professional finished look located where the heater controls would be is for the LED lights on the front grill that don't look so good either and probably don't serve any significant purpose like fog lights would.
View attachment 446288

The strip of what I'm guessing is a split piece of vinyl irrigation tubing or rubber hose above the grill shows some of the cheap methods used in the "restoration."

I can't find the windshield fluid reservoir. I'm going to make another guess that the switch where the windshield wiper fluid activator would be is either a switch for the high beams like cars had in the '60s or earlier or it is for an electric windshield fluid reservoir pump.
Doesn't have pop-out rear windows (it has early ones), steering wheel is an early one, no passenger side door pull and the area around the fixed side windows needs some interior work.

·
Opeler
750 Posts
Sounds like it has an aftermarket cam but it should run smoother. Probably needs some attention at the carburetor and maybe a vacuum test.

The panel seams below the rear glass have been filled in with Bondo. It's probably been rear ended in its lifetime. It's not a bad looking GT but the price needs to come down about 17-20k.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover
1 - 19 of 19 Posts