Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just found this gem :LOL: Not eBay or Craigslist, but I had to post this somewhere

I didn't look into the pictures too closely, but I've already noticed it's a 1969 with round warning lights in the dash (new instrument panel?), the ad says it has air conditioning when it clearly doesn't, the belly pan under the battery tray has a gaping hole cut out of it, they left a bunch of stuff like hoses + lines and the brake booster in and just sprayed over everything when they repainted the car, the paint on the inside of the hood has runs and drips, the cracks in the steering wheel have just been filled in with wood filler, the floor pan rust repair under the driver's seat doesn't look great (almost looks like the patch was hot glued into place), etc., etc., etc. Far from a $35,000 car in any way lol

I'd be shocked if the car sold for even half of what they're asking...

I have to say though, all those negatives aside, that's a car that would make me drool if I saw it driving down the street.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I agree the price is way out of line..... too bad I'd love to see them going for those #'s but reality says this is far from a $35k Opel GT, no matter what the restoration cost.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
It's a good looking GT but the price is nuts and I wouldn't trust them to reveal all the missing items or problems.

·
Can Opeler
3,177 Posts
Yeah that car is less valuable than my GT. And My insurance valuation isn’t even half of that. It’s a nice GT but it’s at a 300% markup at that price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the price is way out of line..... too bad I'd love to see them going for those #'s but reality says this is far from a $35k Opel GT, no matter what the restoration cost.
A year ago, I was happy prices were staying down so much so I would be able to afford to buy an Opel. Now that I have one, I'm welcoming the prices to get up to that level haha

·
Registered
756 Posts
Need to knock $20k off the price for the gas cap.

·
Living in the past
2,263 Posts
Yeah that car is less valuable than my GT. And My insurance valuation isn’t even half of that. It’s a nice GT but it’s at a 300% markup at that price.
You have to understand the thinking of most (not all ) used car sales people, first they are like baseball players when they price their car they are swinging for the fence ,and whatever they are selling is gold and what you you got is ka-ka. They will climb on top on the building and tell you a lie before they will stand on the ground and tell you the truth and most of the time they have no real knowledge about the car they are trying to sell you. Motto for those type people is..........."if you can't impress them with brilliance, baffal them with bullshit". That company is homebased in Saint Louis, Mo. and check their ebay rating, it is about 60

·
RunOpel
811 Posts
The odometer reads 21,750, more like 121,750. Nice GT but no where close to a reasonable price.

·
Pedal Smasher
1,948 Posts
It’s a beautiful GT but I wouldn’t pay above $12k in the US for it, $35k? That’s funny.

·
Super Moderator
5,601 Posts
It’s a beautiful GT but I wouldn’t pay above $12k in the US for it, $35k? That’s funny.
It is very difficult to price any Opel GT from photos. It seems optimistic to be asking $35k. But from the photos I saw, $12k would be a steal. Probably closer to $12k than $35k, but $15k to $18k wouldn't be "poorly bought".

JMNSHO

·
What's a Nopel?
342 Posts
Man, for $35K you think they would have at least thrown in the chrome shock tower covers....🤣

·
Pedal Smasher
1,948 Posts
I don’t see above $12k because above that, I’m starting to look at originality or it has 2.2/2.4, Getrag 240, etc. if I’m paying $15-18k for a GT, it better have the original radio or the radio I’m building. And a stock gas cap. The steering wheel better be perfect. Easy to fix sure, but if the easy things are wrong, chances are there are other problems. A shiny paint job can be very distracting from what a vehicle is worth.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I watched the video and seems there having to gas it to keep it running
I will Agree with alot said and true to me is for 35K I shouldn't have to do anything but enjoy the heck out of my 35K
For that kinda cash if I have to work on anything it better be the 2 parts cars that came with it LOL

·
Vendor
2,410 Posts
Nice paint, and I actually dig the blue wheels. They seem to compliment the car well. Still some stuff needs sorting, as mentioned by some of the others here.
I agree with Terry, that the car doesn't seem to idle properly, which is troubling. Also, the headlights need adjusting (see photo) and why are they not lit? Bad microswitch?

35K GT.jpg

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
3,902 Posts
Just thinking ...

You could find a couple dozen posts here that say "I wish our cars would be appreciated more and bring a higher price" or the like.

Then, when one is being appreciated and a higher price is being asked, everybody goes like "Woahhh - this is wayyyyy too expensive. We need to get those GTs affordable."

Make up your mind!!!

Dieter

·
Can Opeler
3,177 Posts
My mind is made up. I like our cars at the price they are. The cars are accessible and parts are cheap because car value is low!
I’m not selling mine ever so I don’t give a hoot if it’s worth 5k or 50k.

·
Pedal Smasher
1,948 Posts
Just thinking ...

You could find a couple dozen posts here that say "I wish our cars would be appreciated more and bring a higher price" or the like.

Then, when one is being appreciated and a higher price is being asked, everybody goes like "Woahhh - this is wayyyyy too expensive. We need to get those GTs affordable."

Make up your mind!!!

Dieter
The market has to support the price. Random, obscenely overpriced GT’s won’t help us. It will just be seen as an obscenely overpriced GT that some idiot paid twice as much for. That’s not an issue of making up our minds. Is it so wrong to want a sensible, sustainable increase in market value?I don’t want anyone to get ripped off because they wanted a GT.

·
Vendor
2,410 Posts
Just thinking ...

Make up your mind!!!

Dieter
I hear you Dieter. :)
Obviously, anyone is free to price their car anyway they wish.
With the higher asking price comes the expectation of a better car though.
These guys are probably not very familiar with the Opel GT values, so they tossed out a number that would make this one of the
most expensive GTs that I recall seeing since I've been tracking the prices of these cars. At $35K it almost demands a concours quality vehicle.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts