Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
What's a Nopel?
343 Posts
Obviously, anyone is free to price their car anyway they wish. With the higher asking price comes the expectation of a better car though.
These guys are probably not very familiar with the Opel GT values, so they tossed out a number that would make this one of the
most expensive GTs that I recall seeing since I've been tracking the prices of these cars. At $35K it almost demands a concours quality vehicle.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
I totally agree! For a GT to command the highest price, it needs to be of the highest quality, whether stock, modified, or somewhere in between.

Let's assume that $35K makes sense, but even at a lower top of mark $ amount I would expect a #1 car to be perfect in every way.

I love the color & the wheels, but beyond that, here is a quick list of flaws...
GTJ Rubbers all around
Front Bumperettes crooked
Wrong Antenna
Wrong/Missing License plate bracket
Wrong Gas Cap
Poorly Finished Upholstery
What's All over the wipers?
Poor Dash
Poor Quality Radio
Poor Heater Control
Poor Quality Dash Fix
Poor Quality Pedal Rubber
Who's dog chewed the emergency brake?
Poor Quality Steering Wheel Fix
Missing piece under the hood latch
missing plug on right of dash
missing glove box emblem
Wrong Driver Door Card (with plug)
Missing Map Pocket
Poor Paint Quality under hood with drips
Missng Shock Covers
No Air Snorkel

I mean for $35K or a #1 Car, it should be perfect. This car isn't perfect.

Rant over.
Marc

·
Pedal Smasher
1,954 Posts
Ron, I believe the blue ‘73 that I think was in Kentucky sold for $35k. That car had something like 107 miles and was never registered. It still had the Monroney sticker. It sold to Suselbeek. That was about as original as it gets. I have the photos back home on my computer. That car was worth $35k.

If you want top dollar, it better be flawless. The company selling this car doesn’t know crap. They probably didn’t even look at Hagerty’s page on GT values.

·
Vendor
2,414 Posts
Ron, I believe the blue ‘73 that I think was in Kentucky sold for $35k. That car had something like 107 miles and was never registered. It still had the Monroney sticker. It sold to Suselbeek. That was about as original as it gets. I have the photos back home on my computer. That car was worth $35k.

If you want top dollar, it better be flawless. The company selling this car doesn’t know crap. They probably didn’t even look at Hagerty’s page on GT values.
I recall the untitled 73 GT in KY. I think you are right about the price (at least that is what he was asking at the time-not sure what it sold for) That GT was truly special-a museum piece in my opinion.

·
Vendor
2,414 Posts
Also on eBay. Currently @ $4550 with >4 days remaining in the auction.

·
1,639 Posts
Also on eBay. Currently @ $4550 with >4 days remaining in the auction.

After looking at the pricing of other cars on their site, the business model seems to be, ask three or four times a realistic price. I guess then you can bargain down to double what it should sell for or wait for some high roller with no clue but deep pockets.

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
Hey Ron, isn't that the same car? How did it go from $35,000 to $4550???

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
Okay that makes sense, thanks. I think that is a much closer price than $35,000 though that would be a steal if you got it at $4550 :) Probably will go up I'm sure.

·
Pedal Smasher
1,954 Posts
I wonder what the reserve is at. Company probably has no clue the car won’t sell for even half their asking price.

·
Vendor
2,414 Posts
Ebay listing still states "numbers matching" car with AC and Power Steering.
I sent the seller a question about that, and I'll let you know if I get a response.
By the way, I saw this at the bottom of the auction: $397.63?? An oddly specific number. :unsure:
Fees and Taxes
Sales tax, title, license, registration, document fee, finance charges, and SMOG testing fees are in addition to the final purchase price. Buyer is responsible for said fees.

A $397.63 document fee will be added to the purchase price. All credit cards are charged a 3% fee.

·
Living in the past
2,263 Posts
I sent the seller a question about that, and I'll let you know if I get a response.
By the way, I saw this at the bottom of the auction: $397.63?? An oddly specific number. :unsure:
The document fee was invented by the car sales industry to pad their profit on each sale, the 3% fee is to cover the credit card fee that the card charges for using their services. SO.............in short the dealer passes ALL fee on to the costumer and they ain't paying diddley. The document fee took the place of dealer prep fees such as airplane fuel protection, UV ray protection, fabric protection, and of course the always undercoating chassis protection. If they thought they could get away with it they would charge admission and parking fees to come on the lot.

·
Vendor
2,414 Posts
Here is the reply I received from the seller:
You are correct this vehicle does not have power steering or A/C

Followed by a sales pitch to "get this vehicle into my collection" :)

As of this writing, the eBay ad has not been updated to fix the incorrect info.

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
Ron are you thinking about putting a bid in or maybe you already have???

·
Vendor
2,414 Posts
Ron are you thinking about putting a bid in or maybe you already have???
No, I am just following the auction to see where this one lands.
It is unlikely that any bid that I would make on this car would clear the reserve anyway.

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
I figured as much, just checking and hoping you get one soon.

·
Registered
893 Posts
it'll be even funnier to see it pop up on C.L. after the auction is over for 4550 when the reserve is never met which I don't think is going to happen anyway

·
Can Opeler
3,184 Posts
There’s also this “gem” that someone actually bid 4,500 on on eBay. She’s very crusty. The description says it’s solid.

The seller at least takes good photos though!

·
What's a Nopel?
343 Posts
No, I am just following the auction to see where this one lands.
It is unlikely that any bid that I would make on this car would clear the reserve anyway.
I received an email from the seller who told me the reserve is set at $35K Quite the shady character & I'll fill you in after I finish up with my eBay inquiry
Marc

·
Can Opeler
3,184 Posts
I received an email from the seller who told me the reserve is set at $35K Quite the shady character & I'll fill you in after I finish up with my eBay inquiry
Marc
If the reserve is set that high they are using the eBay ad as free advertising with no intent to sell on eBay. They use it for advertising and will do the final sell with any interested parties after the listing closes that way eBay won’t take their 10%.

This is against eBay policies, but can’t be proven.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts