Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
2,001 Posts
I love how seatbelts is listed as optional equipment. LOL. Seriously? You have to be pretty stupid to list seatbelts as optional equipment for a vehicle made in 1969, when it was standard equipment by law at this time. And then this bit... "The engine is numbers matching" That's very interesting, considering that you cannot have a numbers matching Opel GT from the factory. I kinda want to do this with my 2.4, but anyone who knows Opels knows it would be faked.

It might not be necessary, but this is the message I just sent to Gateway Classic Cars...

Please revise your eBay listing to remove the components of the listing that are false advertising. As a member of the Opel GT community, I am one of many people who pay close attention to the Opel GT market. The first part of your eBay ad that is false, is numbers matching. This doesn't exist on any Opels from this era because the engine number and the transmission had nothing to do with the VIN. Production was random in terms of serial number and unless the original Monroney sticker is still around, there is no way to confirm an engine is original to the car. Opel doesn't even have records to confirm any serial numbers.
To continue, the Opel community already knows this car doesn't have power steering or air conditioning. Please improve your advertisement or a complaint to eBay for false advertising against Gateway Classic Cars will be made. The Opel Community doesn't want any potential buyer to be deceived and we can be rather protective when it comes to bad business practices.

Sincerely,
Joseph Bauer

·
Opeler
1,374 Posts
I love how seatbelts is listed as optional equipment. LOL. Seriously? You have to be pretty stupid to list seatbelts as optional equipment for a vehicle made in 1969, when it was standard equipment by law at this time. And then this bit... "The engine is numbers matching" That's very interesting, considering that you cannot have a numbers matching Opel GT from the factory. I kinda want to do this with my 2.4, but anyone who knows Opels knows it would be faked.

It might not be necessary, but this is the message I just sent to Gateway Classic Cars...

Please revise your eBay listing to remove the components of the listing that are false advertising. As a member of the Opel GT community, I am one of many people who pay close attention to the Opel GT market. The first part of your eBay ad that is false, is numbers matching. This doesn't exist on any Opels from this era because the engine number and the transmission had nothing to do with the VIN. Production was random in terms of serial number and unless the original Monroney sticker is still around, there is no way to confirm an engine is original to the car. Opel doesn't even have records to confirm any serial numbers.
To continue, the Opel community already knows this car doesn't have power steering or air conditioning. Please improve your advertisement or a complaint to eBay for false advertising against Gateway Classic Cars will be made. The Opel Community doesn't want any potential buyer to be deceived and we can be rather protective when it comes to bad business practices.

Sincerely,
Joseph Bauer
Seriously?

·
Opel Key Master
4,881 Posts
They are a business in sales, I mean you could give them a break...they sell all makes and models of cars. Sometimes the eBay listings auto select stuff, but technically you can contact Opel and they can tell you what the engine number was for that VIN number. I even found out my information on where my 1938 Opel was built, engine number, and what dealer sold it. We cannot protect ever potential buyer, and if they are willing to pay the price of this car, then they might be slightly deserving of what they get themselves into.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,001 Posts
I was told Opel didn't have this information. Thanks for the correction. Do you know who I would contact for that information? Just emailing Opel doesn't get me anywhere.

As for my message to the company, I still stand by it. If you're selling a car, you should at least correctly list its features. Doesn't matter if they don't know Opels, they should know how to determine what major features are on a used car. Just open the hood, you'll know if there is AC and power steering unless you don't know a steering column from a drive shaft.

·
Opel Key Master
4,881 Posts
I have power steering and you cannot tell it from opening the hood...lol. You can contact a German Opel dealer and they can submit the request. My car being prewar I think it goes through different channels. I don’t want to pay that info to prevent everyone from overloading the people that handle it

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,419 Posts
Are you here looking for a GT.. ? GOOD.. We can give great advice.. Like THIS GUY IS ON CRACK.. $35,000 !?!?!? the interior is in shambles, the dash is vinyl cap ( Mind you that's a great option.. for a cracked up dash, but NOT On an $35k car ), the heater plate is broken, the rear window gasket is crap, the rear panel is a fiberglass replacement, no chrome trim on the sides, some aftermarket crappy gas cap, I could go on.. This is a $10,000 at BEST... This is great example of a good looking car in pictures, but the interior is really bad, and makes you question the bodywork if the interior is so shoddy.

This is a $7,000 car at best.....

I would be worried about the mechanical assembly and such given how bad the interior and the exterior was done.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,419 Posts
I didnt see it.. Never hurt to warn more I guess..

·
Registered
795 Posts
It's the check boxes under filters. Unread Discussions which is checked as a default. Uncheck it and check set as defaults, then filter. All those threads that you read but nobody else has commented on will now show up on the list but are grayed out to show that they haven't changed.

·
Vendor
2,449 Posts
Charles,
It got up to $7900 when the sellers ran it through an eBay auction a couple weeks ago. Not surprisingly, it didn't make reserve.
Here is a link to the original thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just took another look at the car being advertised on their main website (1969 Opel GT)
At least they took down the bs "power steering" and "air conditioning" options, but now they're saying it has "RACING SLICKS" :LOL:

·
[email protected] Dutch speaking ?
65 Posts
I didn’t read all.... but by the line with the price and the video ( seen half)

Between $7k -$8k is good enough.
(incl. all costs)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts