Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 38 DGES on my stock 1.9 with 2.5 inch header for now. The carb I got is not cali leagel. Can i take my intire charcol canister out? Out of the box it idles at 700 rpms but hesitates when given gas. If anyone has ideas on
jetting I'm all ears.Also im having a problem figuring out what to do about the throttle pull back spring, where does it go now,and do i need a new one?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Stock 1.9 38DGxS jetting

opelrun21 said:
I've got a 38 DGES on my stock 1.9 with 2.5 inch header for now. The carb I got is not cali legal. Can i take my entire charcoal canister out? Out of the box it idles at 700 rpms but hesitates when given gas. If anyone has ideas on jetting, I'm all ears.Also im having a problem figuring out what to do about the throttle pull back spring, where does it go now,and do i need a new one?
From an 8/27/2002 e-mail:
RallyBob said:
> Robert Legere wrote:
> > *****Was the 38 DGAS ever rejetted for your engine?
> > Remember, it was designed for a 2.5 litre V6, not an
> > Opel engine. You need to change the emulsion tubes to
> > F50's, most importantly. You also will probably have
> > to jet down to a 135 main jet if the engine is stock,
> > and a 170 to 175 air corrector, and a 45 idle jet,
> > then adjust the idle mixture. It is NOT a 'bolt-on and
> > walk away from it' type of installation, regardless of
> > what some people may tell you!
> >
> > Bob
Now aren't you glad I file all this stuff away . . . and can actually find it later!? ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still can't get the throttle to come back up to my foot properly. I also still have nowhere to hook my charcol cantister. Can it be trashed? What kind of mufflers are you guys using on 2.5 headers that don't go over the rear end?

Opels are funner! :D

·
Non Civilian
2,091 Posts
there is no place to hook the charcol canister on a 38 dges. it is not a smog type carburator. also 4 into 1 headers suck, i have one. and it robs your low end torque. a 4 in 1 typically would give better high end hp but much more work is needed to gain any benifits from that header. a 4 to 2 to 1 is what you want to locate. they also increase the noise level in the passenger compartment to annoying levels. and wraping it with header tape wont help the noise it just deteriorates the header faster.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
there is no place to hook the charcol canister on a 38 dges. it is not a smog type carburator.

Actually, the top cover of the carburetor has the boss for the vent tube, it is just not drilled for it. It would not be difficult to convert the DGAS to use the charcoal cannister vent line.

also 4 into 1 headers suck, i have one. and it robs your low end torque. a 4 in 1 typically would give better high end hp but much more work is needed to gain any benifits from that header.

Four into one headers can have better torque than 4-2-1 if designed properly. I admit that the commercially available Opel headers leave a lot to be desired, but if the primary tube lengths are extended you will find they work quite well. I just don't want people to think your statement is a 'blanket' statement encompassing all 4-1 headers....it has more to do with the manufacturers taking shortcuts than an inherent design flaw with 4-1 style headers.

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The heat wrap i put on it was just a small effort to keep as much heat away from my carb as possible. I geuss im going to mount some sort of braket to mount my spring to. the header is for sure loud but the Flowmaster 40 series sounds alot better than my 1 1/4 exhaust with some crazy looking broke a$% muffler that had been on it when i got it. Mabe 1/3 of the exhaust was coming out at the very back. Sorry for the american mods everybody but I am in Tenn. :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyones help, Rallybob rules!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I'm a rookie Opeler the spring to the throttle goes to the linkage not the carb. Once again OGTS there to help out the new guys.

-----------------------
yeah its slow
but you moms checkin it out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts