Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
38 Dges

Man, it's been too quiet for a rainy weekend! Just took the car (GT) out for a ride now that I have all the bugs worked out of the new carb. I am amazed at the performance increase just by replaceing the 32/36 with the 38. I'm guessing I have picked up a second on my 0-60 times. It just pulls stronger through out the whole rev range. I haven't put a watch to it, but it sure feels better in the seat of the pants.
James

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
I just got back from a long test drive with my GT.

I put a 38 DGAS on last year. It was jetted for a BMW and was running way too rich. A few weeks back we had a "Weber Jetting Party" at Wayne Torman's house and RallyBob worked his magic on the carb. We didn't have the correct emulsion tubes (F-66) so we made do with a set Bob had and he re-jetted it. It still had a slight hesitation and when it got warm it vapor locked because the fuel line came in near the exhaust manifold.

Well, yesterday I put the F-66's in and drilled and tapped the outboard fuel inlet and rerouted the fuel line. What a difference!! :D No hesitation, it starts right up when hot and the car just pulls from 2,500 to 5,500. It even accelerates quickly in fifth gear without downshifting. What a joy to drive!

The engine is bored out with Jahns flat top pistons, a C&R .432, 224° cam, sprint exhaust and a ported intake coupled to a Getrag.

The Compufire comes next ;)

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Does anyone know of a source for DGAS carb spacers? Preferably with a seperate hole for each of the two barrels...

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Travis, I still have some in 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" thick. Give me a call if you need one.

Bob

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Travis said:
Does anyone know of a source for DGAS carb spacers? Preferably with a seperate hole for each of the two barrels...

-Travis
I bought mine from Jam Engineering. Also picked up the F-66 Emulsion tubes from John.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
That was quick!

You don't want to know how much time I have wasted searching for one of these. I even ordered one last summer and when it came in it was for a 32/36 and had an open center. Wasn't worth the effort or shipping costs to send it back...

-Travis

·
Detritus Maximus
2,365 Posts
This is actually for Rally Bob-
I have a Euro 2.0, stock exhaust. I am running a 38 DGAS with the intake manifold ported to match the carb.
Any suggestions for jets and tubes?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My solex craped out the other day on my stock motor. And I needed a 38 DGES for my 9:1 motor I'm building. So I went ahead and bought it,but I'd like to run it on my stock motor until build is complete. What is the best jet and etube setup for this? (It is not cali legal) IT idles at 700 rpms but when given gas it hesitates. Cant really hear what its doing until i put some exhaust on the open header. Also the first time I started it I jimmyed the spring off the other carb to it. When I started it and went to throttle it spring popped off the car went full tilt for and about a sec. Scared me do death. Should I be using that spring and if so where do I hook it.

she just wants to be back on the street

·
Opeler
127 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a 38dgas on my gt and don't like the fact that the fuel line enters on the manifold side. How involved is it to move the fuel intake from one side to the other?

Thanks
Bob

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if the 38 is like the 32/36 all you have to do is pull the barbed fitting for the fuel line out, pull the plug out of the fender side, and simply just swap them. i'd use some teflon tape on the threads and a copper washer too if you can find some laying around.

·
Opeler
127 Posts
I'll have to look a little closer, but it looks like the plug is recessed and may be hard to pull out and the fuel intake looks like it is a brass(?) press fit. I had some free time last night and was able to go play with my car last night. I'll have to look at it closer this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I am confused, if you cut out the manifold to match the 38 mm openings for the Weber, the center of the manifold is gone. Even the stock manifold does not have two circles in the manifold. I guess I am wondering what would be the purpose of having a gasket that would restrict an open area in the manifold? I opened my manifold to accomidate the 38 and it requires a lot of work to get it right I also reworked the gaskets to match the manifold opening which means there is no center section. It looks like a half circle at each end, and the half circles connect with straight lines. I am having the manifold polished right now or I would post a picture. Am I missing something on the advantage of having a two hole gasket?

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts