Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got the anatomy of the rear vent area? Trying to fish some wires so I can put a 3rd brake light in the vent area. Saw someone that had it done at the Nationals in NC recently. I've tried fishing a piece of wire up the vent tube, but it seems to hit something and I don't know how to work around it. My head liner is good, so I don't want to have to pull it lose to do this. Anyone have a diagram or pictures of what it looks like under the metal?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Anybody got the anatomy of the rear vent area? Trying to fish some wires so I can put a 3rd brake light in the vent area. Saw someone that had it done at the Nationals in NC recently. I've tried fishing a piece of wire up the vent tube, but it seems to hit something and I don't know how to work around it. My head liner is good, so I don't want to have to pull it lose to do this. Anyone have a diagram or pictures of what it looks like under the metal?
Try a search on the main board using (3rd brake light) as the search terms. What color was the car that had the Brake Lights? I was there and missed them. I have a good idea, whos car that it was tho, just need a color. I think you hit the roof drains. There are 2, one each side. I think I remember seeing them when I had the spare tire deck out to get to the Fuel sending unit. 3rd brake light site:www.opelgt.com brings up a whole page. Jarrell

·
Opeler
927 Posts
I went down from the vent area. I went from the left side. I used a piece of Cat 5 cable, it’s somewhat flexible. It came out inside the car along the side of the rear window and headliner. From there I fed it down to the lights. I don’t have pics.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
that is pretty freakin cool Gordo. I don't really care for penetrations in the roof but if it's done right probably fine.
I also like the idea of the one on the rear deck
so many cool ideas here all over the place ,,,,,,must stay focused on the project at hand,,,,TERRY you can customize later if you still feel the need LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's YOU!

I went down from the vent area. I went from the left side. I used a piece of Cat 5 cable, it’s somewhat flexible. It came out inside the car along the side of the rear window and headliner. From there I fed it down to the lights. I don’t have pics.
Hey John,

It was your car I was referencing. I bought the same lights that you have, but when I tried fishing a wire up through the vent tube, I hit something. I will find some Cat 5 cable and give it another try from the top. I couldn't remember all we had talked about.

Do you have any trouble with the lights blocking the vents and rendering them useless? That seems to be a complaint by some on these forums.

Thanks,

Ron G

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Hey John,

It was your car I was referencing. I bought the same lights that you have, but when I tried fishing a wire up through the vent tube, I hit something. I will find some Cat 5 cable and give it another try from the top. I couldn't remember all we had talked about.

Do you have any trouble with the lights blocking the vents and rendering them useless? That seems to be a complaint by some on these forums.

Thanks,

Ron G
Ron I have heard it interrupts the air going out. I believe that Gordo might have hit on something with his set up. No vents to plug up. Just my thoughts. Jarrell

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I have a wing on the back of my GT, perfect place to put the third brake light. If you have a wing that's the way to go, if not go with what John said about the cat 10 wire. I have a picture of the third brake light below.

Bob

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Like this?

The wire was actually quite easy in my case, as I had the headliner out. It would be MUCH more difficult to do with the headliner in place

There was a small gap between the vent area and the roof sheet metal, so I poked a thin steel wire rearward, which came out at the vent above the window. I connected the LED wires (which were VERY thin, like 30 AWG) after I had covered them in some flexible shrink tube, and pulled them back into the roof area. I connected some thicker wire (but still like 22 AWG) and ran that wire down the rear pillar to the harness to connect to the brake light wire.

I had fished the LED strip into the vent gap between the separator bars, and after getting the wires thru, I glued it in place using crazy glue first, then some dabs of clear RTV.

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Like this?

The wire was actually quite easy in my case, as I had the headliner out. It would be MUCH more difficult to do with the headliner in place

There was a small gap between the vent area and the roof sheet metal, so I poked a thin steel wire rearward, which came out at the vent above the window. I connected the LED wires (which were VERY thin, like 30 AWG) after I had covered them in some flexible shrink tube, and pulled them back into the roof area. I connected some thicker wire (but still like 22 AWG) and ran that wire down the rear pillar to the harness to connect to the brake light wire.

I had fished the LED strip into the vent gap between the separator bars, and after getting the wires thru, I glued it in place using crazy glue first, then some dabs of clear RTV.

HTH

Very nice Keith, Thank You, Jarrell

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,260 Posts
Cool man. Where did you get it? The screws to hold it up, how long are they? and of course how did you wire it up? :cool: Thanks, Jarrell
$15 on Ebay. Adjustable angle. Two screws. Directional LED's shoot ALL the light out the back, tube LED's like many folks use shoot the light out in all directions, including towards the car. That's wasted light. Another type I bought let's you wire into the turn signals, also. Tuck the wire in under the rear window rubber, then down into the back of your car and tie into one of the brake light wires.

The PO of my car had filled the vent passageways with spray foam. It took me forever to dig as much as I could out with a coat hanger. I didn't want to add anything that would further compromise my venting.

:veryhappy

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
$15 on Ebay. Adjustable angle. Two screws. Directional LED's shoot ALL the light out the back, tube LED's like many folks use shoot the light out in all directions, including towards the car. That's wasted light. Another type I bought I bought let's you wire into the turn signals, also. Tuck the wire in under the rear window rubber, then down into the back of your car and tie into one of the brake light wires.

The PO of my car had filled the vent passageways with spray foam. It took me forever to dig as much as I could out with a coat hanger. I didn't want to add anything that would further compromise my venting.

:veryhappy
Ah the vents, that was the problem with the vent mounted Leds. It looks like with the light bar, you circumvented the problem.:yup: Hate to ask, as I'm already searching E Bay, got a link? Thanks, Jarrell

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I believe our marginal as-it-is heater/defroster blower gets really compromised when those top routed exhaust vents get blocked with Harbor Freight type LED's.

Think about it. Incoming air through the cowl vent goes through the blower and then throws out about 300 BTU's of CIH Powered Heat by your feet. It then gets power-blasted :)lmao:) through the back tire carrier area, where it finds those vent tubes and exits out of the roof vents.

With those vents blocked, to speed up the squirrel cage blower from stalling out in a compartment space with no venting cause it's blocked by LED lights, one has to crack open one of the side windows in order to get the airflow as designed by the engineers, up and going again.

The new-for 1968 Corvette had a similar set up, the rear exhaust vents located on the rear deck, under the rear window. They called their's "Astro Ventilation" as 68 was the first year for removing those side front window vent wings that were on every car up to 68......

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I believe our marginal as-it-is heater/defroster blower gets really compromised when those top routed exhaust vents get blocked with Harbor Freight type LED's.

Think about it. Incoming air through the cowl vent goes through the blower and then throws out about 300 BTU's of CIH Powered Heat by your feet. It then gets power-blasted :)lmao:) through the back tire carrier area, where it finds those vent tubes and exits out of the roof vents.

With those vents blocked, to speed up the squirrel cage blower from stalling out in a compartment space with no venting cause it's blocked by LED lights, one has to crack open one of the side windows in order to get the airflow as designed by the engineers, up and going again.

The new-for 1968 Corvette had a similar set up, the rear exhaust vents located on the rear deck, under the rear window. They called their's "Astro Ventilation" as 68 was the first year for removing those side front window vent wings that were on every car up to 68......
An excellent Explanation Mike, I always wondered why I needed to open a side window to get the ventilation going. Thank you Mike, Jarrell

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
An excellent Explanation Mike, I always wondered why I needed to open a side window to get the ventilation going. Thank you Mike, Jarrell
Well the main problem with this is the vents. If you go Like Gordo did, an excellent way too, you run into the next problem. The rear window is 29'' in. (Just measured my Rear window with the Louvers on), so you have to find a light bar to fit that measurement. I found one. It will do everything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-LED-w-B...134578?hash=item5d957fbab2:g:BOgAAOSwTplduas8
https://www.amazon.com/26-Lightbar-...AKE&CARGO+Lights&qid=1574686319&sr=8-124&th=1
I just want it to show my turn signals, and stop lights. Any ideas/comments would be helpful. Thank you, Jarrell

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,260 Posts
I think this is the one I bought. This short legged type is 18" with 56 LED's:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-56-LED...or-Car-Auto-/371652315122?hash=item56883447f2

I also bought his type, which has longer legs and looks cool and I think you can wire it different ways, but the legs were too long and it unnecessarily stuck down too far:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-40-LED...amp/133037677031?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

In the end, I think I replaced the existing plastic mounting legs with my own home made black-painted right angle metal brackets. I think my pictures show this.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,260 Posts
P.S. I just realized that the 2 pics I took of how the light looks from behind was when I was testing both types. One of the pics shows the long-legged type and the extra light that that type has in the middle. I think you can wire that type to light up one side or the other as turn signals. In that configuration only the 3 middle light comes on with the brakes, I think. Our cars are low compared to trucks and SUV's and I've been rear ended in the past, so I wanted a really bright annoying 3rd brake light that drivers behind me couldn't possibly miss seeing. Even my license plate has a 3rd brake light.

Between louvers and a wing partially obstructing my view out the rear window, I was very anal about wanting the light as high as possible, so as to add the least amount of visibility obstruction as possible.

·
Opeler
927 Posts
Hey John,

Thanks,

Ron G
I'm not sure what vent tube you're referring to but I didn't have any issues when going from the outside. As for blocking exiting air, I'm not so sure our vehicles are that air tight that I'm worried about that. I only used a piece of Cat 5 because that's what I had laying about and it was somewhat flexible when fishing down. Maybe Keith L. will chime in, he's done it numerous times and that's where I got the idea to begin with.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts