off a 4-speed tranny without disassembling the
entire transmission? I need to replace the speedo
gear.

Thanks,
Stanley P

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good news, Stanley. No disassembly required, just put a 10mm socket on the bolt next to the speedo gear, & pull it out. You might want to replace the "O" ring while you're at it--helps keep the gear lube in.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark,

I probably needed to explain more, I need to replace
the speedo gear inside the tranny that drives the
speedo gear that you described. I can place my finger
inside the speedo hole and the gear inside is curved to
the inside..... ) <--Like this. I dont know if it is made that
way or worn. But the speedo didnt work when I had the car
on the road a few months ago. This is the only thing I could
find thats wrong.....Do you have anymore suggestions
on what I could do?

Thanks,
Stanley P

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK, I see. If you're positive that the speedo gear is the problem (not the speedo head or cable), the tailshaft can be replaced with one known to be good, or alternately, replace the whole gearbox. I've got 6 of them, myself, & they're not hard to find for around $50, maybe less. BTW, your GT is looking good, Stanley. Nice work.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
tailshaft

I'll have to go rummaging a bit to be sure, but I might even have a NOS tailshaft somewhere. I probably have a gasket set for the transmission as well, if need be.
I would replace the transmission myself, or use this as an opportunity to put in a 5-speed. It would be lots less aggrivation to get another transmission then fuss with overhauling one, and if you didn't want one from Mark, I probably have 8-10 complete ones and another 4-5 in parts too. Figure out who shipping would be the cheapest from and someone will get you another one.
That car looks too good to let a little thing like a speedo keep it from driving around. If you find yourself in NY, Stanley, feel free to stop buy and work on my "new" truck. It's hard to get quality workmanship these days, especially for a 1948 American LeFrance!
Opel isn't the only 4-letter word I know.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having a hard time convincing myself that a plastic speedometer gear can wear out a metal speedo gear inside the tranny.Can you look at the picture and tell me which is true?
If the gear inside the tranny is curved, I need a new plastic gear.
If the gear inside the tranny is straight, I need a transmission.

Thanks for you help,
Stanley

plastic gear --> o) <-- metal gear
plastic gear --> o| <-- metal gear

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Yes the drive gear inside can wear out! Mine Has, and it is curved in the area that you describe! I'm told that the entire main shaft has to be disassembled to replace it.

Paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your new 4-speed shipped yesterday, 5/24/02, Stanley. I remember this particular gearbox well, I think it has many years left in it--it only left my daily driver GT because I bought a Getrag 240 from OGTS. I included the blue speedo gear as well. Thanks again.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark,

Thanks for the tranny, It looks great and the speedo
gear is flat.....I owe you man, Let me know if I can help
you out with anything...

Thanks again,
Stanley

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mark, would it be possible to get another trans from you? Are they rebuilt? I've been thinking about the Gertag too for my 70 GT. It is a few $$$ though. Is it realy worth it if you don't plan on rebuilding the engine?

Bill
Opel newbie in Colo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bill, if you can wait a couple of weeks, & you still need a transmission, I'll bring a good used 4-speed with me to Aurora--save you the shipping cost. The Getrag is a great tranny, no question, but whether it's worth the considerable cost is up to you, of course. Put it this way--I'll sell you a 4-speed for less than one tenth the price of a used 240. Let me know . . .

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark,

The transmission works a whole lot better than mine did, it is everything you said it was......Thanks, Stanley

1 - 13 of 13 Posts