Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission filters?

I have a 71 GT that I have been working on for about two years now but I have never cracked open the 4-speed transmission. I am having problems with the one I have now and have bought a used one in good condition. However, it was suggested to me that I have the transmission filters replaced and new fluid added. My question is, how many filters are there and are they easy to replace? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

·
299 Posts
just my two cents but if you ever find your 4 speed making lots of noise stay in fourth gear as long as possible even skip gears from a stop till you get home it will be low on fluid and thats what the noise is from the reason i say to stay in 4 is because it is direct drive and wont load any gear or bearing other than the front and rear

this will work on any manual trans if you are low on fluid
if it is a 5 or 6 speed od your 1:1 gear will still be 4 most likely easiest way to tell is if the noise quiets down alot

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
If you find metal flakes, take it to your local tranny shop for a overhaul as that would indicate the syncros are scabbing out. They aren't hard to rebuild but you got to be confident of your mechanical skills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.