Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
42 MM Mikuni carbs

I have a nice pair of 42 MM Mikuni 1V side draft carbs. I am thinking about building 2 intakes and installing them on my gt. Do you guys think this is too much carb for a 1.9 I dont mind if I loose some torque at the lower RPM, but I still want to be able to drive it on the street. Am I nuts, or should I try it?

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
What size are the chokes? (venturis) This matters more than the throttle plate diameter. I'd say a stock engine can handle them, if the chokes are moderate (30 mm or less) and you jet correctly.

Bob

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys, I didn't give you enough info. First the carbs. Thay are one barrel carbs. They come off a 1000CC 2 cyl. 2 stroke Sea Doo PWC engine. With the carbs jetted as they are now the engine ( rotax ) makes about 130 Hp at 7200RPM and drinks 18 GPH. Now the interesting part. The throttle plate measures 46MM. In the bore is a venturi that is 42MM. Located in the lower third of that venturi is a second venturi for the main jet. It measures about 10MM. There are 3 transfer ports that are adjustable ( fuel and air jets ) main jet adjustable ( fuel and air jets ) adjustable acclerator pumps, adjustable power circuits, Idle circuit is adjustable ( air jet, main jet, and mixture screw )
As far as my engine , I have a stock as a rock 73 GT engine in the car now ( even the solex ) I also have 2 other engnes that i am playing with. I am thinking I should give it a try. What do you guys think? Yep I am nuts.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Half the displacement with double the power? Yea, you could say it's a bit too much for a stock late-model smog engine. If you adapt just two of them, that would probably work okay, but the chokes are on the large side. Low end power will not be it's forte. The VE of the Opel is not very high in stock form.

Bob

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,
I am going to give it a shot. If it works I wil let you know. If not I will let you know too. By the way , I have about 4 sets of these carbs if you want to try to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
man if you get that to work I'll rob the carb off my CR500 for my opel :D

As a moto X racer/ engine builder just a little to think about those carbs, the idle ciruits and jetting ciruits are not designed for a 4 cycle engine, plus if I'm not mistaken those carbs you have do not have accelerators pumps which would kill your bottom end. All so A 1000 cc 2 cycle theoreticlly pulls in as much if not more than a 2000 cc (2 littler) 4 cycle engine at any give rpm.

just a thought but if you want to use side drafts from a motor cycle or personal water craft get a Dennis Kirk catalog and get 2 Edelbroc "pumpers" designed to work on an XR (4 cycle) you'ld be a lot happier than useing the ones off a 2 banger becuase one thing that designers of 2 banners take to the drawing board is that the engine will all most all ways be kept at over 5000 rpm.

By the way, don't let the Hp out put of the PWC fool you

HP is simple a formula of torque X rpm divided by, arg brain fart
any way point being a little Cox .049 engine makes around 1 hp
but that's only because it turns 20k rpm.

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
huummmmm!!!!!
now what kind of gear box could i put on 300 cox motors ?????????????????????????????????and how would we put a muffler on them?????:confused:do you think the standard clutch will take it

hahaha!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Commrad, the horsepower formula is P L A N K, divided by 33,000

P = indicated average effective pressure on one piston.
L = Length of stroke in feet
A = Area of a single piston head in inches
N = Number of working strokes per minute, per cylinder, or RPM divided by 2
K = number of cylinders

Also, in one of my other hobbies, I race model boats. I have a number of 2-stroke engines that I run. Here are the sizes and horsepower ratings for them.

.21 cu. in. (3.5 cc) 2 hp @ 30,000 RPM
.45 cu.in. (7.5 cc) 3.5 hp @ 28,000 RPM
.67 cu.in. (11 cc) 4.5 hp @ 26,000 RPM
.90 cu.in. (15 cc) 6.0 hp @ 24,000 RPM

I run 40%- 60% Nitro on these engines, and at $35 a gallon it gets expensive to have fun.

As a joke, I tell folks if I could take out the 15 cu. in. 5 hp engine out of my lawnmower and put the .90 engine in it and have it rotate the blade at speed, I would have a hovercraft.

Thinking along the original thought of this thread, I was considering, at one time, putting the Honda CV 750 carbs on my GT. The biggest drawback to that was lack of an accelerator pump in the carb. Jetting wouldn't be a problem, neither would the mass air flow, because the 750 turns at a much higher RPM than the 1.9. The linkage would be testy to say the least. But it was a thought that I've laid to rest with the advent of the SFI engine I'm putting in the GT now.

Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know Rc engines is way off for this subject but ron would you happen to know where I could get a 7.5 K&B outboard. I have an old one on my Dumas deep V 40 (and I run 60% when I find time about once every 3 years to run it ;) ). Like all my toys includeing Opels I like to keep spare engines laying around just in case. Seems the only toy it forks for though is my opel, I just have walked in the house from doing an engine swap, damn it's hell to pull one oua the top of a gt, even harder to get it back down in there uggggg.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I just did a Google search and found the K & B website. Check it out, they have just finished a new production run of the 7.5 outboards. www.modelengine.com/kbindex.htm

Also got to namba.com and check out their yellow pages, they've got a whole lot of folks listed that can fix you up with an engine. Off the top of my head is 707 specialties. He is an outboard fanatic and has designed and built lots of stuff for outboards. He's here in CA, but there may be someone closer to you.

IMHO 60% nitro may be too much for a .45 engine, I only run that high in my smaller ones. I've got K & B, OS max, and CMB engines, plus a bunch of spares. I ran in North American Model Boat Association's classes and have "A", "B", "C", and "X" engines. plus a "B" outboard. That go in 10 boats. Depending on the class, in outboards, you can run full out with an expansion chamber exhaust or box stock with only the lower portion of the skeg highly polished.

Now back to Opels, Why in the world are you taking the engine out the top? It is so much easier to pull the engine and tranny out from the bottom with just a cherry picker and a floor jack, and you don't have to split them to do it. Check out my photo gallery and you'll see the 1.9 engine package coming out the bottom and the V-6/T-5 going in the top, because that's the way it works easiest. You still have to disconnect everything the same except the engine/tranny, and it's so much easier to split them when they're outside the car. Just my $.02

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mikuni Carbs

Hey willis you said earlier that you had 4 sets 4 of this carbs or an extra for carbs... I am looking to buy a set so I can install them into my 1985 Nissan 720 ST..let me know if you would like to sell a set...contact me delorieryan"at"msn.com... Thanks

willis said:
I have a nice pair of 42 MM Mikuni 1V side draft carbs. I am thinking about building 2 intakes and installing them on my gt. Do you guys think this is too much carb for a 1.9 I dont mind if I loose some torque at the lower RPM, but I still want to be able to drive it on the street. Am I nuts, or should I try it?

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
enhale01 said:
Hey willis you said earlier that you had 4 sets 4 of this carbs or an extra for carbs... I am looking to buy a set so I can install them into my 1985 Nissan 720 ST..let me know if you would like to sell a set...contact me delorieryan"at"msn.com... Thanks
I am not sure if you noticed, but this thread is almost 2 1/2 years old...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts