Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Here’s some more pics to complete my exploration of this topic.

The first 3 pics are of the clear glass replacement turn signal can lenses that I had chemically etched with blitz symbols. They have amber 45LED bulbs. As of this post, I still have to buy the resistors to stop the double flash from occurring. I have the resistors in the back turn signals, which eliminated the flash, but when I went LED with the front turn signals, the flash returned. They are on a different circuit.

The last two pics I’m kind of surprised that I didn’t post before, even though they are full of flaws. They are from when I hooked up both the Red Baron and the Frankentrailer with 45LED bulbs. They are blurry because I was pouncing on the shutter button trying to catch the left turn signal coming on and because the night mode in my camera is lower rez and does a longer exposure time, which catches the slight jiggle of the camera when I snapped the shot. I also goofed and the side rear markers on the car aren't on because the bulbs are polarized and I have them in backwards. They are LED, too. As you can see, 45LED bulbs make your tail lenses look like they are on fire!

Lights out

Lights on

Fog lights on, halogen headlights, oem side marker bulbs, 45LED bulbs in the turn signals

On the trailer, the license plate lights on the ends of the bumpers are not connected and, on the car, the bumpers are removed entirely. I used directional LED license plate bolts to illuminate the plates. I'm not crazy about the glaring blue/white color.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
LED style electronic flasher relay

I just went to the superbriteleds.com website to order the resistors, but when I searched for resistors they gave me this:

Search Results For "resistors for led" | LED Products | Super Bright LEDs

The write up says: "Electronic LED Flashers have no minimum load-12VDC. Eliminates the need for load resistors, turn signals will flash at normal rate with or without LED bulbs."

Does anyone see a reason why I couldn’t use the flasher relay above in a GT? Lemme know quick so I can order and install it before Carlisle.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It should work fine Gordon, Electronic flashers are generally a direct fit and work off of their internal circuitry instead of load. Load is why a standard flasher won't work with LED's.
I just got my full set of Superbright Led's and flasher in yesterday and I'll put them in today. Since I have rewired my car with a modern fusebox and use the 2 prong flasher I can't assure you the 5 prong will work, but I see no reason why it wouldn't the principal is the same for all.

·
Dog Man
850 Posts
here is what i have becouse i went this way ..but my kids got to some of the parts and i have to fin the rest of them befor i can put the LEDS back in ..if i cant i think i will be going another route ..

2X 50W 6ohm Load Resistor Fix LED Bulb Error Canceller Turn Signal Blink Blinker | eBay

if you go the dash board LED like i did ..DO NOT USE A LED FOR THE HI BEAM INDACATOR ..i have not found out whay but it's on very little when the low beams are on and brighter when the hi's are on ..not enugh to barther you when driveing ... but confusing in knowing if the hi's are on or not ..if you like i have a few colors left for the dash blue red green yellow ..i went with yellow in the dash turn lights and blue in the hi's and blue for the dash lighting .. but the blue is not so bright you can see but ?????

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks, Pat. It's those resistors that I want to get rid of. You have to wire them across the terminals on your light bezels and they have a little weight to them, which means you have to screw or fasten them on somewhere. This isn't so bad with the rear lights, but I don't want to have to mount one of those inside each of my turn signal cans. If the LED electronic flasher will eliminate the need for resistors throughout the whole system, that would be a much better scenario.

Since Captain Helicopterman said the flasher should work, I'm gonna go for it and place the order right now........

·
Registered
676 Posts
:sad6: :banghead: Geez Gordon, where do I show up for my beating? :slap: Lindsay is correct. I must have had 5 pin on my mind (what's left of it) from seeing your post, but Opels do take 4 pin flashers.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Aarrgghh! :banghead:

I should have known better than to trust a guy who flies around in a plane with no wings! :pat:

I emailed them about the issue. They're probably closed over the weekend, but we'll see if they get back to me with a way to make the relay work or I just order the resistors instead.

:veryhappy

·
Registered
676 Posts
Very true, :yup: everyone knows we aren't right. :yup:
I'm sure if you give them a call Monday morning they will swap it for the 4 pin.

·
Senior Contributor
5,067 Posts
Gordon,
I searched but can't find my own posts about how I converted an electronic blinker module to fit my GT. Since I have all led lights I needed the resistors too but instead I found a NAPA electronic one that took care of the problem. The pins would not match the pins of the GT wiring so I made an adapter out of an old blinker relay. It works perfectly. So the answer to your question is YES you absolutely should find one that works and avoid the use of the load resistors.

Found it: Here is a re-post from last year.

Led flasher

Update: Ever since I put all the LEDs in my car I have had the "too fast flashing" problem due to lack of load for a standard flasher. I went through about 4 different flashers before I found one that would work at all, but it is still not correct. I bought some load resistors but never got around to installing them. A few days ago I decided to do a little web research and found a Triumph site that listed a newer style flasher specifically designed for use with LED lighting. I bought one at my local parts store it is a NAPA EL-13L-1. It is a 3 prong flasher with a ground wire that comes out the top that gets connected to ground. Our GTs originally had 4 contact flashers but I did the "double flash" fix which changes it to a 3 contact situation. I am not sure if the new flasher will be able to be plugged in without moving the wires around to match what the flasher requires but that should not be a big deal. The flasher has an "X" terminal that goes to power, an "L" terminal that goes to the load to be flashed, a "P" terminal that goes to the dash indicator, and the separate ground wire. I will be installing this when my car comes out of storage.

Part 2

Did a little schematic research today and determined that the BLK/RED wire will go to the "X" terminal, the BLK/WHT/GRN wire will go to the "L" terminal, the BRN wire will go to the ground wire that comes out of the top of the new flasher, the BLK/YEL wire that I took off and grounded in accordance with the double flash problem fix will either stay grounded or be connected to the "P" terminal it will depend on what the system needs in order for everything to work correctly.

So this is definitely NOT plug and play, the existing socket does not match the new flasher.

Part 3

I brought my car home today so I am now beginning a few mods before Carlisle. I put the new flasher unit in today and it works perfectly with the LED units, no more super fast flashing. Just like it says above I connected the Blk/Red, Blk/Wht/Grn and the Brn wire. The Blk/Yel wire remained grounded per the Destec double blink fix. So I am only using 3 of the 4 connections on this new flasher unit. The "P" connection is not used. What I did was to rip apart a new 3 blade flasher unit that was in a round metal can and only used the bottom part that had the 3 blades on it, the rest of the unit went into the trash. I made up 2 short wires with female connectors on one end. I drilled a hole through the new plastic flasher from top to bottom and threaded the ground wire that was coming out of the top of the new flasher through the two holes so that it now came out the bottom. I pushed the connectors of the two short wires that I made onto the "X" and "L" terminals of the new flasher. The three loose ends were then soldered to the appropriate locations on the loose 3 blade piece that I got from the junked flasher. I then taped up the short length of the 3 wires so I now had a unit that would plug into the original blinker socket without changing any of the existing wiring.

The flasher that I used is a NAPA EL-13L-1

·
Dog Man
850 Posts
Thanks, Pat. It's those resistors that I want to get rid of. You have to wire them across the terminals on your light bezels and they have a little weight to them, which means you have to screw or fasten them on somewhere. This isn't so bad with the rear lights, but I don't want to have to mount one of those inside each of my turn signal cans. If the LED electronic flasher will eliminate the need for resistors throughout the whole system, that would be a much better scenario.

Since Captain Helicopterman said the flasher should work, I'm gonna go for it and place the order right now........
make shure you let us know if that way works so i can quit looking for them other ones i have and i would go the way you are ..your way sound better

·
Über Genius
9,456 Posts
Here's a diagram for the EP27 to figure out if it will work, and where an extra wire might go.

·
Senior Contributor
5,067 Posts
It appears to me that it would go like this:

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Two great pics guys!

So according to Jeff, I want to delete from the circuit the lowest "L" terminal that connects to "H.S." and only use the central "L" terminal that connects to "T.S.". But the central "L" terminal is in the wrong position to plug into the GT's socket, so I'll either have to make an adapter or remove the wires from the Opel socket and plug them into the flasher relay directly or run jumpers from the socket to the relay? Does that sound about right?

·
Über Genius
9,456 Posts
Two great pics guys!

So according to Jeff, I want to delete from the circuit the lowest "L" terminal that connects to "H.S." and only use the central "L" terminal that connects to "T.S.". But the central "L" terminal is in the wrong position to plug into the GT's socket, so I'll either have to make an adapter or remove the wires from the Opel socket and plug them into the flasher relay directly or run jumpers from the socket to the relay? Does that sound about right?
Or you could also buy a socket that plugs directly into the EP27 but they appear to be difficult to find.

·
Senior Contributor
5,067 Posts
Two great pics guys!

I am not certain about the wiring I posted but I doubt you can hurt anything by trying it. The L is for load so it is remotely possible that you need to use the other L terminal. The only other change would be the red/black wire going to the other positive terminal on the relay. The brown wire is ground so that is a "no brainer". I know for sure that the NAPA one I used works as I have described it so if the one you have doesn't work you could always do what I described above.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Jeff, is every single turn signal bulb on your car LED?

My car has the relay from OGTS that prevents the "normal" double flash for the "normal" reasons. But it doesn't stop the flash with my all-LED system. Previously I had the electronic-style flashers from the auto parts store, but I had the double flash with those, even with oem bulbs.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts