Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 5-inch (OD) coil spring fit Manta stock spring perches? My car and spare suspension parts are not immediately accessible for measurement. Anyway, I hope so, it would certainly increase the availability of off-the-shelf springs -- selection of spring rates.

Thanks

Ken

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Not correctly, but I know of plenty of people who've done it anyway. You generally need to hammer the lower perch to make the spring sit properly. The stock Opel springs are about 4 5/8" for comparison.

Bob

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bob. Hammering might be an option ... maybe adding some metal to the perch for a better fit. I'm back in the market for springs for my Manta -- I have several issues with the springs I had made last year. I ordered/spec'd 525# front and 200# for the rear. I had them tested last week, both front springs tested at 300# and the rear springs tested at 200 and 220. Those are significant variances even for a "grass queen" car and not acceptable for a race/performace car. But ... before I bad-mouth the spring manufacturer, I'll give them a chance to correct their mistakes.

Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts