Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Holidays all,

I have 5 Gmail invitations available to the first 5 who wants them.

If you don't know what Gmail is, it is Google's version of web email. Like MSN Hotmail, or Yahoo email. The difference is that Gmail email accounts will hold 1000K (1GB) of storage, where as Hotmail and Yahoo only allows 250K (I believe). Best of all its free... :)

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At last check, you couldn't just go to google as sign up for one like MSN of Yahoo. Hence, they are doing it by invitation.

·
Administrator
10,229 Posts
baronbors said:
OK- I'll bite- why would I want one of these? :confused:
Google is beta testing a new email server. They have not released it to the general public yet. Every so often they give "invites" to testers so they can add more users. You end up with an email addy like: [email protected]. (get in early and get your preferred username)

The program itself is great and it uses a google type search to search your emails. It blows Yahoo, MSN, hotmail and the others away.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No fees. Free. :D

PM here at OpelGT.com with the email address you want the invitation to be sent to.

1. pvcar

Happy Holidays!

·
Administrator
10,229 Posts
Tim240Z said:
Wasn't there some major privacy issues with Google Mail?
like yahoo, gmail allows you to store the email on their server. Hence the privacy concern. But "if you aint got nothing, you got nothing to hide..." If you do, just trash it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I heard something about Google saving even the deleted emails and connecting it to your web searches and using the info for marketting (selling to vendors)?
http://www.google-watch.org/

Like you said, they all tend to be the same, and maybe this is just hype by the other Web Mail vendors, but food for thought I suppose....

·
Administrator
10,229 Posts
Tim240Z said:
I heard something about Google saving even the deleted emails and connecting it to your web searches and using the info for marketting (selling to vendors)?
http://www.google-watch.org/

Like you said, they all tend to be the same, and maybe this is just hype by the other Web Mail vendors, but food for thought I suppose....
From Googles "About Gmail" page:
Data retention

Some news stories have suggested that Google intends to keep copies of users' email messages even after they've deleted them, or closed their accounts. This is simply not true. Google keeps multiple backup copies of users' emails so that we can recover messages and restore accounts in case of errors or system failure. Even if a message has been deleted or an account is no longer active, messages may remain on our backup systems for some period of time. This is standard practice in the email industry, which Gmail and other major webmail services follow in order to provide a reliable service for users. We will make reasonable efforts to remove deleted information from our systems as quickly as is practical.

Protecting your privacy

Google takes privacy very seriously, and your trust is important to us. Gmail users should know:
Google does not share any email content or other personally identifiable information with advertisers.
No humans read any email messages to target advertising or related information that users may see on Gmail.
Users only see unobtrusive, targeted ads alongside their Gmail messages.

Full details here: http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/more.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gary said:
[snip] Users only see unobtrusive, targeted ads alongside their Gmail messages.[/i][/snip]
This begs the question, then: How are they targetting the marketting?

(not being argumentative here....don't really care one way or another, just openning up some discussion points)

Tim

·
Administrator
10,229 Posts
Looks like you figured it out Dwight. Send me your email address and I'll forward one.

PM = Private Message. You can send private messages to members by clicking on their usernames or via your UserCp. If enabled, you will be notified of a PM by a small pop-up and the "Welcome" message atthe top of the page will show that you have a PM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts