Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a new getrag 5-speed and it seems like the speedometer cable may be a tight fit. Are there tricks to this upgrade? I don't want it to get bound up from too tight of connection.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dave, do you have the 90 degree adapter for the speedo cable at the tranny? That will usually give you a couple of inches longer cable and also straighten it out towards the front of the car instead of curving out and then forward from the tranny. HTH.

Ron

·
648 Posts
I ran into this same problem a few years back. I went to a local speedo shop and the guy made me a new cable 6" longer.

It cost me $12!

Jc

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New cable, no speed

I got a longer cable ($38 vs. much more for a 90 degree adapter) from OGTS and attached it to speedo and trany. I tightened it down as far as I could, but could not get it to move the odometer or speedometer.

I am planning to remove the speedo side and see if it spins when the car is driving, however this seems kinda silly with one person in the dark.

I searched the forum for ideas and now I am checking here to see if someone knows if I should have do some special to align the cable or other ideas.

Thanks,

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I have the 5 speed and use a stock cable. I would look at the routing of the cable to see if there is a shorter wat to get there. The one man check of the speedo is easier with a cordless drill and now a flashlight I guess. To check the drive gear I had both wheels off the ground and turned the drive shaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts