Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo after a very long time I was away. I want to have a piece of information on the subject of this thread. Can we put a 5-speed gearbox and a limited slip defferential on an ASCONA B 1.2? I know that there is LSD for this engine, what about the gearbox? I know that probably there is not much utility in this, but I just want to know what can we do on it. Which 5-speed gearbox and how can we combine it with the 1.2 CIH engine?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can get a gearbox from a manta B (perfect fit) or from a rekord E, but i think you might have to modify the cardan as well.

As for the lsd... only heard of it's existance, but never saw one. Crossed my mind to get one for my rekord c.

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
what are the ratios in the 1.2 box ? do they match the 2l box from 1 to 4 if not it will be a pain to get going and clutch life will suffer you may be better off with a slightly higher diff and keep the 4 speed box

lsd's can be bought from quaife but dont know if the half shafts from a 1.2 will match the splines in there diffs you may need to change to a set from a larger engine ascona to fit

Differentials - Quaife Engineering

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,085 Posts
You can get a gearbox from a manta B (perfect fit) or from a rekord E, but i think you might have to modify the cardan as well.

As for the lsd... only heard of it's existance, but never saw one. Crossed my mind to get one for my rekord c.
Be careful - the 5-speeds from Manta/Rekord are all made to fit the 1.9-2.4 Liter CIH engines. Your 1.2 Liter needs a completely different bell housing, and I would not know of any 5-speed that is a direct bolt-on.
As for the LSD, the answer is kinda similar. The known LSDs all fit the "large" axle frame for the CIH engines. If you want 5-speed and LSD, take a complete drive train including engine from a CIH Manta/Ascona. Changing out everything (including front axle, brakes and MBC/booster) will be a direct and cheap bolt-on for you!

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Which 5-speed gearbox and how can we combine it with the 1.2 CIH engine?
I presume you mean a 1.2 OHV engine, as I have never heard of a 1.2 CIH. AFAIK, the CIH came in the following displacements: 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4. But not a 1.2, which means that that you cannot use a CIH-compatible transmission

·
Registered
87 Posts
Might not be important but the 1.2 ohv was also mounted on the kadett c.
A friend of mine owns a kadett C coupe with an 1.2 "tuned up" engine. Noisy and powerless baby monster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, correct I mean 1.2 OHV engine, sorry for my mistake. Concerning the LSD I already know that there is a compatible one for this engine. For the 5-speed gearbox however I have never seen anything on this engine and I am just into getting some information. Thank you all for the replies. If you have any other information I would like to know.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
To my knowledge there is no 5 speed transmission to fit the 1.2, at least not for a rear wheel drive car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts