Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opeler
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to put a 5 speed transmission in a gt? I am getting ready to build one from the ground up. I want to put a 5 speed in it along with some engine mods. Also what car should I get the tranny from?

Thanks
Russ

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Welcome to HEAPS of info!

Welcome to the Opel Community Russ, I see you have been around for a while but just started posting!

There is heaps of info on this site that is available using the "Search" function by clicking on the word "Search" in the upper RH corner of the Home Page - a litle box appears into which you type what you want to see.

Try this thread that turned up when I searched for "Getrag 240":

http://opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7096&highlight=speed

Lots of help here on this site if you get stuck too.

HTH

·
Opeler
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 speed trany

Thanks,
I JUST FINISHED READING THE REPLY'S FROM THE FELLOW WITH THE PROBLEMS. I NOTICED THEY WERE SAYING GETRAG. IS THAT THE NAME OF
THE TRANNY? IF IT IS, WHERE CAN I GET ONE?

THANKS.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Try OGTS

Have a look here: www.opelgtsource.com They are in California.

Yes, Getrag 240/245 is the original transmission fitted to later model Mantas and other Opels. Similar gearboxes are fitted to BMWs but they bolt up differently and do not directly interchange.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Russell said:
Thanks,
I JUST FINISHED READING THE REPLY'S FROM THE FELLOW WITH THE PROBLEMS. I NOTICED THEY WERE SAYING GETRAG. IS THAT THE NAME OF
THE TRANNY? IF IT IS, WHERE CAN I GET ONE?

THANKS.
Russell,
FYI
Please take the cap lock off. When you have it on it is like you are SHOUTING.

Like Jim said there is a lot of info on this forum about the 5-speed being put into a GT. There is some mods that need to be done, they are well documented here and by Opel GT source.

Putting a 5-speed in my GT is one of the first mods I will do to my GT once I get it up and running (mainly because of the increase in MPG), so good luck with it!!

·
Opeler
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5 speed tranny

Sorry about the caps. I did not mean to sound like I was shouting. Sometimes I feel like it when working on my cars. Thanks for the info on the tranny.
Im trying to decide to build the gt. I have it for sale on this site, Its the 70gt in NC. Like many of us, to many projects.

Thanks again
Russell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts