Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6 Hr Day/Night Road Race

I changed the title from Desert Racing in July because folks were thinking this was an off road race. It is a Road Race at Buttonwillow Raceway. About a 2 mile closed circuit where the viewing of the track is almost un-obstructed.

The SCCA (CSCC) is having a "Night Enduro" on the 27th of July. We'll be racing 'The fastest Opel in the West". Since this is a 6hr enduro, we are looking for a few Opel enthusiasts to help out as crew members.

Before you jump in, it will probably be hotter than hell. The race is being held at Buttonwillow Raceway Park near Bakersfield, Ca. My guess is that the daytime temp will be over 100 degrees. The good news is that this is a evening-night enduro. The practice will be first thing in the morning, but the race won't start untill 5:00 P.M. By then it will be "only" in the 90's... hopefully.

Anyone who wants to come is welcome... to crew or just to watch I would like to see a lot of Opel folks show up. We'll have an afternoon/evening barbeque for everyone who shows up. There will be no admission for anyone who shows up in an Opel or who is on the crew.

If you want to "crew", don't worry about experience. Changing tires and adding fuel NASCAR style in less than 15 seconds is easy... NOT!!!. But don't worry, as long as you are an Opel enthusiast we want you there. We don't be doing any 15 second pit stops. In the past the CSCC Enduros required 5 minute pit stops for safety reasons.

So, if you can, come out and play with us. The way everything is shaping up, it promises to be a HOT event. Bring family, girl/boy friends, children, and friends. Just let me know (send me an email) at least 10 days before the race so we can buy enough BBQ stuff for everyone, and arrange with SCCA for your admission.

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've gotten a couple of questions about where is Buttonwillow?
The race track is just off Interstate 5, about 30 miles North of Bakersfield... about 120 miles north of LA, about 200 miles south of San Francisco , and about 200 miles south of Sacramento.

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6 Hr Day/Night Road Race UPDATE

Gill Wesson of Opel GT Source has come "on board" with us and will be the "car chief" for the race. He was with us at the Nelsons Ledges 24 hour race a few years back and is an invaluable asset to the team.

We are still looking for some crew members. Not just "over the wall" folks, but a variety of others too. Even if you don't think you can help, you can... there is a lot to be done for this kind of race.

And for those who just want to come to watch the race, we'll have tickets waiting for you if you show up in an Opel.

If you have questions, please contact me by email -> [email protected]. If you are comming, let me know as soon as you can so we can be sure to have enough food, drinks, etc for every one.

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last Call

If you are planning on attending the Enduro, please let me know by email ([email protected]) by noon on Friday 19 July. (We're going shopping Friday evening... so we need to finalize the head & Tee-shirt count.

For those of you who contacted me previously, but were not sure, please confirm your plans.

For those who decide to come at the last minute... you're still welcome. And if you show up in an Opel, you'll still get in for free... but please, bring you're own food, drinks, etc.

See ya'll at the race.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts