1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
I saw that yesterday, looks interesting. I don't think that the guy knows anything about it.

·
184 Posts
I thought that double barrel air cleaner was used on the 1.1L engine. It sure doesn't have the regular snorkel used on a 1.9L engine. I've never even seen a 1.1L engine before. If anyone is seriously interested in this car it's about 20 minutes away from me in Lake Ronkonkoma, I may have a bit of time to look at it this weekend.

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
yes, this one is most definately a 1.1 or 1100 motor GT.
Aside from the air cleaner, look at the 3 fork exhaust manifold an the additional spacer in front of the radiator to move it back closer to the smaller 1.1 engine.

I'd like a 1.1 GT, but not that badly.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
That GT is a relist as well. He had it on e-bay a few weeks ago, I guess the deal went sour and he had to relist it. I was interested, but couldn't afford it and I have to many projects as it is!

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
The VIN number also starts with "93..." a dead-giveaway for a 1.1L GT.
I'd like that car for its interior only. :) But it's too far away and too much $.

Walter

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
GT VIN#931805890

The VIN number indicates that it's a late 1969 Bochum manufactured 1.1 GT. In 1969, all Bochum Opel models started with chassis # · · 1535504, while in 1970 all models started with chassis # · · 1891174, the first two numbers identifying the model.

·
Opeler
23 Posts
Damn damn damn, stupid of me, i didn't had a look at the motor!!
Just looked at the exterior differences like there are:

1) the chrome on the small 'backwindow'
2) the clock in the instrumental panel
3) the ampere and oilpressure clock

But indeed it has its OPEL GT emblem on both sides and as you all can see, it's an 1100 motor. The box before the radiator is also typical for the 1100 (like said before).

Can it be that the first part of the airfilter, not the 2 pipes going to the carbs, is from a 1900?

Sorry for the mistake!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Air filter canister and rubber bellows

ALL GT air filter canisters and rubber bellows are the same regardless of year or engine used.

Interestingly, when trying to find an original GT air filter, the ONLY listing is for the GT 1.1, but now you know that the same filter is used for the 1.9 as well.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Actually, my 1.1L has a different air filter canister in that there is a carb vacuum port (factory) attached to it. Don't know if this is 1.1-specific or an early-69 detail. Regardless, the air filter is the exact same, as Otto said.

Walter

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
Re: Air filter canister and rubber bellows

tekenaar said:
ALL GT air filter canisters and rubber bellows are the same regardless of year or engine used.

Interestingly, when trying to find an original GT air filter, the ONLY listing is for the GT 1.1, but now you know that the same filter is used for the 1.9 as well.
The early '69's came with an oil bath air filter. I remember replacing mine with a paper filter set up from a junkyard (that's what the recyclers were called way back then) GT. Also picked up the rear console at the same time.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
1.1 L

Plus, the 1.1L GTs start with a vin # of 93, 1.9's were 94 and March 1971, 77 started for US and 79 for the rest of the world. The base-model 1100GT or Model 93 was withdrawn after 2 years and only 3,573 were sold. This info comes from the book Opel GT Gold Portfolio. There's a lot of neat info and pics there! I got mine from e-bay.

Hey tekenaar,my early 69 starts with 94 173, is that the code for one made there with a 1.9? Where did you get this info about vin #'s. There has been a lot of questions about vin#'s, can you tell exactly what year the car was made for all different years by the vin #? Also, when you refer to chasis number, I take it you don't mean the number stamped on the metal of the radiator support?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Opel model VINs 68 - 75

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
1.1 air filter canister

PROPEL said:
Actually, my 1.1L has a different air filter canister in that there is a carb vacuum port (factory) attached to it. Don't know if this is 1.1-specific or an early-69 detail. Regardless, the air filter is the exact same, as Otto said.

Walter
Forgot about that, since that "vent" tube, connected to the valve cover at the other end, is built into the carb snorkel on the 1.9 engined GTs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What year is this GT?

Can anyone give me a clue if this 1.1 GT is a 69 or 70. Ser. no: 931824213, date on back of gauges is 4/69 and it has a smooth back panel.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i beleive thats considered a 69'

1 - 20 of 24 Posts