Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have removed the headlight rotators in my 69 project, and have two wires from one of the microswitches that I can not find out where they go. They are the two from the drivers side light, the smaller gauge , looks like 14, red/black strip and a brown/black stripe. I could not see these on a wiring diagram, but I not too good with that yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Headlight wiring (microswitches)

I just removed the headlight rotators and have removed the microswitches. all of the switches had the wires taped off. I traced where two of the switches went to but there is one on the driver side that has me stumped. It has the red/black stripe and the brown/black stripe. I've tried to read the wiring diagram but to no avail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Bruce

·
Super Moderator
5,973 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Keith, sorry for the two threads, but I didn't see the first one and I repeated it. The threads you are refering to show the microswitch that I understand but I am not sure where the wires go to from the microswitch. What are the other ends attached to? Thanks again. I could not find any answer in other threads.

·
Super Moderator
5,973 Posts
Bruce,

If you don't have the '69 or '70 FSM with the electrical diagram, you can go to
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/illustrations/69gtw.jpg
although it isn't the clearest reproduction of a wiring diagram I have ever seen. That said, even the original FSM wiring diagrams are pretty hard to read, and I have both the '69 and '70 FSM's in almost new condition.
So failing that, I looked up the microswitches on JJ Wheatley's (DESTEC Engineering) laminated wiring diagram, and the two wires you describe are both hooked to the outboard drivers side switch, which is the "Headlamp Indicator Switch" as in it lights up the white light on the dashboard if the headlight buckets aren't fully opened or fully closed. The two wires to that switch are:
Position "C": Brown w/ Black strip: Goes to Headlight Open Indicator Light in the dashboard
Position "NC": Red w/ Black stripe: Goes to fuse position F5 on the fuse block
Position "NO": no wire
HTH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Keith. I should be able to track them down now. Also wanted to say thanks for your help on removing the rotating mechanisms. It only took about thirty minutes to get them both out, and fortunately only one of the pins was broken. I also will be getting a wiring diagram from DESTEC! Thanks for being there! Bruce

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bruce,

If you don't have the '69 or '70 FSM with the electrical diagram, you can go to
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/illustrations/69gtw.jpg
although it isn't the clearest reproduction of a wiring diagram I have ever seen. That said, even the original FSM wiring diagrams are pretty hard to read, and I have both the '69 and '70 FSM's in almost new condition.
So failing that, I looked up the microswitches on JJ Wheatley's (DESTEC Engineering) laminated wiring diagram, and the two wires you describe are both hooked to the outboard drivers side switch, which is the "Headlamp Indicator Switch" as in it lights up the white light on the dashboard if the headlight buckets aren't fully opened or fully closed. The two wires to that switch are:
Position "C": Brown w/ Black strip: Goes to Headlight Open Indicator Light in the dashboard
Position "NC": Red w/ Black stripe: Goes to fuse position F5 on the fuse block
Position "NO": no wire
HTH
Keith, could you scan and upload the 69 diagram into the wiring diagram section of this forum? Currently the page says 69/70 but there are differences between the two years. I ran into problems with my 69 and had to search for the right one. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '70 Opel GT and assumed that the new front wiring harness I bought from Germany would work in it. I rewired my GT according to the color diagram in my '71 Opel GT manual. However, it appears that my '70 Opel was originally wired using an earlier scheme, with different color coded wires to the microswitches in back of the rotator mechanism in different positions. For instance, on the passenger side the original wiring to the microswitch included one black wire and one yellow wire with a black stripe. The new wiring harness I have installed has three wires: a gray wire with a green stripe; a white wire with a yellow stripe, and a brown wire. Did anybody else do the same thing and remember the corrections they made to make the lights work? Is it simply a matter of repositioning the new wires on the microswitches? (I've seen the '69-'70 wiring diagram in the gallery.) Thanks for the help!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
These pictures from my '72 FSM may help.

Personally, I rewire my headlights to get rid of the microswitches. I unplug the yellow/black wire from where it plugs into the headlight relay and run a jumper wire from one of the parking light circuits to that terminal on the headlight relay. Turn on the Park lights and the headlights turn on also, without adding load to the Parking circuit, so no worries about blowing fuses. I either tape off the yellow/black wire or remove all of the wires going to the microswitches because they are live all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These pictures from my '72 FSM may help.

View attachment 436583 View attachment 436584 View attachment 436585

Personally, I rewire my headlights to get rid of the microswitches. I unplug the yellow/black wire from where it plugs into the headlight relay and run a jumper wire from one of the parking light circuits to that terminal on the headlight relay. Turn on the Park lights and the headlights turn on also, without adding load to the Parking circuit, so no worries about blowing fuses. I either tape off the yellow/black wire or remove all of the wires going to the microswitches because they are live all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the diagrams and the suggestion, SciFi Guy. I bought new microswitches, and hope to be able to get them to work, but if I can't find a way to wire them so they work with the new harness I'll fall back on your solution. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
Headlight wiring (microswitches)

I just removed the headlight rotators and have removed the microswitches. all of the switches had the wires taped off. I traced where two of the switches went to but there is one on the driver side that has me stumped. It has the red/black stripe and the brown/black stripe. I've tried to read the wiring diagram but to no avail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Bruce
Greetings flippinbruce - The attached post "
When head lights are on low beam and they are really dim - Opel GT 1970 Model- how can I fix it - Here is what I know" covers a lot about the micro switches as well and the headlights in general, while there is a lot of material perhaps some of may shed some light on your issue. Good luck.
Carl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts