Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a proud new owner of a '69 gt and was wondering some of the specs and performance stats of the car. I was mostly wondering about weight hp and speed of the opel but give me anything you have on it. By the way it seems to be idling to high and stalls when it gets to low can anyone help me with that?

·
Registered
132 Posts
atlas2008 said:
I'm a proud new owner of a '69 gt and was wondering some of the specs and performance stats of the car. I was mostly wondering about weight hp and speed of the opel but give me anything you have on it. By the way it seems to be idling to high and stalls when it gets to low can anyone help me with that?

What engine does it have in it, the 1.1 or the 1.9??

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
The 1.9 was rated at 102 hp (gross), and 90 PS (about 88 hp SAE net ). Depending on who you ask or what magazine tested the car, 0-60 took anywhere from 10.5 to 12 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in around 17.5 seconds. Top speeds are debatable by many, but the majority of the magazines of the day all seemed to agree upon 115-120 mph top speed for a 69-70 GT. Vehicle weight is around 2100 lbs. Handling was not the car's strong point, most SUV's of today can pull more lateral G's than an Opel GT in stock form.

The good news is, all of these things are changeable and can be improved upon if you have the $$$ and the know-how.

You came to the right place....

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Welcome!

The answers you seek are here. Try the "Search" feature by clicking on the search word in the top blue line and typing "Performance Modifications" into the box that appears. Heaps of posts will become available to you covering many different performance modifications.

Also get hold of a copy of Brookland Books OWM 727 "OPEL GT Owners Workshop Manual" ISBN 1 870642 864. It has a dark green cover with lettering in yellow and a line drawing of a GT on a background of green lined, yellow "graph" paper on it. Often available on eBay but should be available from a local Tech or Motoring Bookshop.It has a road test in the front that appeared first in Road & Track in June 1969 to give you stock specifications.
Also a comprehensive guide to all aspects of the car for rebuild purposes.

HTH

·
Registered
127 Posts
Exhaust question

Has anyone tried the idea of tracing the head ports gasket to a piece of 1/4" plate steel and taking it to a mill and getting all the ports cut out. Then just take a passenger side chevy small block header and cut the tubes off at the flange and heat them to bend them to match the GT ports (they are very close to Opel GT exhaust ports) and weld them in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts