Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I have owned a 1970 GT, for 12 years, and have never got, to drive it. I have thought of parting it out, many times in the past. Lets face it, parts are expensive and, hard to find. However, with my bad luck, a 69 gt came up for sale today, that i have been asking about, for ten years. Car has red interior, red body was yellow? Mice had a good time, with inside. The body dosen't look to bad, but passenger floor is, starting to go and, it has not been started or sheltered, for many years. I'm thinking of offering him, $175.00 for it, or should i?

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
William Hartley said:
I'm thinking of offering him, $175.00 for it, or should i?
Why not? Worst thing he can say is no! If you end up getting it and it is too far gone, you will end up with lots of parts for your '70 and you could probably most of your money back by selling the red interior.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,114 Posts
If you get it (see my earlier post!) and end up parting it out, I sure could use a right rear quarter panel and a taillight panel. Hint, hint!
Oh, wait. I could use the left rear rear quarter panel for my 72.
Keep forgetting about that one.:eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Opelbits, i'm pretty sure, evil bay i mean ebay, has what your looking for right now. There is one, NOS rear panel up for bid, out of New York. My last check on auction, had it at $275.00 seams steep to me, but may be worth it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
News update! Yes i offered the guy $175.00 for the car he said, no no. So i said, well what do you really want for it. His reply was shocking, to say the least, he told me $1,500.00 I'm glad i didn't talk to him in person or i would have laughed in his face. Now i truly know why it has been setting for ten years.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Thats amazing.
It really depends on the condition though, I would be more likely to pay $1000 for a car that had rough floors, bad paint, engine that doesnt run, but no rust on the outer pannels. BC the body is much harder to fix than the floors. Interiors are simple to fix, any opel motor can be made to run with minimal coersion, but rust on the body pannels takes time to fix and may never look right again, plus anyone can fix motors and interior but it takes a dicerning eye to do bodywork right. On the other hand if the body does look ok but the floors are bad, that probly means that the body did have rust and was repaired.

There was one time I went to offer this guy $100 for a car that he had because I wanted the A/C setup out of it. It was rusted beyond repair, the nose was crunched in an acident, and the interior was totally shot, but he wouldent budge from his $900 price tag! He said I could remove the A/C unit from it for $650, it was a hard deal to pass up.............no

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could be right, but you would have to see the car. Even though my 1970 is rusty and has lots of small dents, i know i could repair it for some what less than $1,500.00 of course it would take some time. I really was looking at the 1969 as a possible time saver in the body department. Oh well i guess i'm going back to bidding on ebay!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes! Yes, if i could only be transported to opels unlimited, but it's not going to happen. I paid $700.00 for the 1970 years ago! I drove it home with no brakes, no exaust, and a leaky trans. Found out later rings were broken on number 3 cylinder, and the back end had been plowed into.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts