Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intake Manifolds

Wondering if a 69 intake manifold (it has a 69 stamped on it kind of near where the 73 is stamped on my original manifold) will work on my 1973 GT. I can see that it is somewhat different around where the carb studs are....the 73 appears to be beefed up more. I like the older manifold because there is no EGR orafice, which I am having trouble sealing up properly (nothing seems to thread in there just right) and I no longer have the EGR pipe valve attaced.

Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
There are several ways to do it, one would be to just have it filled up by welding it.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
intake manifold

The 69 would work but the 73 manifold flows better and is the recommended one for porting for more performance. Check out the article by Rally Bob, it's on this site.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does one find the article......all i can find are the pictures??? I'm trying to figure out how he plugged the egr opening in those pictures.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
drill, tap, plug

Are you talking about one of the screwed-in fittings or the solid tube on the outside of the mainfold?

With the screwed-in fittings, unscrew them and get a brass pipe plug. The threads don't have to be a perfect match, it just has to start in the threads and tighten down. Between the soft aluminum and the soft brass the threads will malign enough to ensure you get a good seal if you tighten it enough. After all, do you really want the plug to come back out later?

If you're worried about the press-fit steel tube, or you don't think the plug will seal in one of the other holes, buy the next size larger brass plug and the tap to match. Drill the hole out with the size called for on the tap, tap the new larger hole, and screw in the plug. Obviously you'll want the manifold off so nothing gets into the motor.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm talking about the screwed in fitting. I put a cast iron pipe plug in there but it didn't go in very far before it got tight and it looks pretty obvious. I wanted something that looked less "hey I removed my egr valve" for when I go to get this thing smog tested every year. The one in "Rally Bobs" pictures looked like it was pressed in or at least fit down inside the opening. Maybe it would be easier to work with the brass plug to make it look better. Thanks for the tip.

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gary, but all I'm getting is pictures. Is there a worded explaination that goes along with it? I'm thinking there must be but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Smog (vane) air pump and bracket

Gary said:
. . .

If you are pulling the EGR pump off, Otto (tekenaar) is looking for one.
THANKS for remembering, Gary! ;) If ANYONE has an old air pump from either engine (1.1 or 1.9) and used only on the early engines, '68 and '69 I believe, send me an e-mail. If from the 1.9 engine and you also have the mounting bracket, that would be a PLUS! Thanks.

·
Driver
987 Posts
I used a pipe thread plug. Got it at O'Rielly. I don't remember the size but it was standard.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
opelenvy said:
I used a pipe thread plug. Got it at O'Rielly. I don't remember the size but it was standard.
Believe that would be a 3/8" NPT plug . . . have used them myself as thread is "close enough".

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
bosco, if you want that "that's the way it is" look, get a female allen socket plug to put in there or a steel plug. The brass will stick out like a sore thumb to the inspectors.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you might be right. I have some Eastwood paint I could use on the manifold that matches the aluminum really well but not sure how long that would stay on there.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
brass or steel 3/8" NPT plug

Old Hippie said:
bosco, if you want that "that's the way it is" look, get a female allen socket plug to put in there or a steel plug. The brass will stick out like a sore thumb to the inspectors.
If you get a brass or steel "Allen head" type, you should be able to screw it in far enough to be flush with the outside of the manifold and virtually unnoticeable unless pointed out. JM2CW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts