Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started . . . all exterior turn signal lamps, both right and left, function normally. Dash indicator functions normally on left turns, but blinks only once on right turns even though right front and rear exterior lamps function normally.

Kadett gurus . . . ? :confused:

·
1,220 Posts
Check to make sure you're using the correct bulbs in the parking and tail lights. It sounds like the flasher is saying that it doesn't see enough load. (it interpets this to mean that a bulb is burnt out)

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Single dash indicator light

Gary said:
?? Poor ground for the right indicator lamp??
Kadett uses only ONE single dash indicator light!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dmcbrass said:
Check to make sure you're using the correct bulbs in the parking and tail lights. It sounds like the flasher is saying that it doesn't see enough load. (it interpets this to mean that a bulb is burnt out)
WAS WORKING with existing bulbs . . . but I'll check ground path in lamp sockets.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
grounds

Otto, you probably need to attack this with a two step approach, both for grounds:
-1- Make sure your guage cluster has a good chassis ground. Right now it grounds through the wiper motor, so adding an additional wire is not a bad idea, particularly if the guages do any moving when the wipers, fan, lights, or defroster are turned on.
-2- Kadett lights, particularly the tail lights, use aluminum sockets. They tend to corrode over time and the connection gets to be not so good. I don't remember when the transition point was, but yours might even have the terrible rotating base for the taillights, which always seemed to have issues. The easiest fix I have found is to pull the bulb and run a battery terminal brush through the socket a couple of times, then apply a little petroleum jelly to the base of the bulb when you put it back in.

Those two Kadett specific "fixes" usually clear up lighting problems. Let us know what you come up with.

·
352 Posts
humble newbie chimes in

Dmcbrass said:
Already covered, but FWIW: Had this EXACT scenario in GT... WRONG rear signal bulb (filament too small = insufficient load to trip relay/indicator).
-Dan

·
1,220 Posts
Anything that lowers the load on the flasher will keep it from flashing. Corrosion as mentioned above is a distinct possibility. If the resistance goes up the current drops and load on the flasher is reduced. Theoretically the bulb that is causing the problem should be dimmer than the others, but if you're right on the edge of having enough load it might not be obvious.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest on turn signal lamps . . .

All the lamps checked OK and sockets are not corroded. Both front and rear right lamps flash when lights are off, however, when turning on "parking" lights, right front lamp comes on very bright (both filaments energized) when turn signal is off and no longer flashes when turn turn signal is turned on. Right rear turn signal continues to operate properly. Tried another bulb with identical results. Too dark to do anything more tonight, so I'll check front lamp socket tomorrow. :mad:

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Bulb in Backwards

tekenaar said:
however, when turning on "parking" lights, right front lamp comes on very bright (both filaments energized) when turn signal is off and no longer flashes when turn turn signal is turned on.

It sounds like your bulb is in backwards. Take it out, turn it 180 degrees and reinsert and see if this solves your problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Twin filament bulb "keying"

jlthunder said:
tekenaar said:
however, when turning on "parking" lights, right front lamp comes on very bright (both filaments energized) when turn signal is off and no longer flashes when turn turn signal is turned on.

It sounds like your bulb is in backwards. Take it out, turn it 180 degrees and reinsert and see if this solves your problem.
No can do . . . twin filament bulbs and their sockets are "keyed" with staggered pins and only go in one way! :rolleyes:

·
1,220 Posts
I don't believe you can install a double filament bulb backwards. However, wires may have been cut and reconnected backwards. It still sounds like a weak connection on the turning signal circuit. I have had similar problems with boat trailers where taillights find them selves under water from time to time. (corrosion) In one case turning on the left turning signal caused both right and left to blink through the parking light side of the bulbs. When connections are poor those rogue electrons will take the path of least resistance and end up in all kinds of wrong places.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Keyed bulb sockets . . . Alles wieder in Ordnung!

tekenaar said:
No can do . . . twin filament bulbs and their sockets are "keyed" with staggered pins and only go in one way! :rolleyes:
Keyed bulb sockets, YES! Keyed bulb socket electrical connectors, NO! DOH!!! :rolleyes:

Nuff said!

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Yes, I know the bayonett mout is offset, BUT

If you force the bulb, you can install them backwards. I see this all the time on the road. :p

·
149 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of either the wiring had been "repaired" by someone in the past. Or possibly having a problem in the system where the bulb might be energized from both ends. Similar to the way modern blinker/marker lights are done but without a proper grounding in this case... Viewing filiments just allows you to see whats glowing.

Darrin

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Solution!

tekenaar said:
Keyed bulb sockets, YES! Keyed bulb socket electrical connectors, NO! DOH!!! :rolleyes:

Nuff said!
Alles wieder in Ordnung = Everything in order again . . . working normally! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.