Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am going to sound like a silver spoon kid by saying this but my dad just gave me a 1969 Opel GT 1900 for my boys and I to work on together. After doing a little research I have relized that he has given me a great gift. However there is one issue that I need some help with from an experienced GT owner. My dad has had this car for a little while and has had the same problem with the driver side head light not rolling over properly. It sticks in mid roll. His answer was to cut into the bottom wheel well but I want to check with you prior to cutting this almost mint and original Opel. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Thanks,
phillips66

·
tomking
2,479 Posts
First of all there is no need to CUT into wheel well as there is an access cover in the wheel well. Plus if you will look in the area beneath the hood around the hood hinge you will see the actuator cable ends that tie the two heads together and to the cable. Your problems are more likely here than in the wheel well. Buy a factory service manual or do searching on this site for more information.

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Sounds to me like the headlight bucket may either need lubricating or adjusting. I think that you may need to 'raise' the front end of the bucket because the bucket is catching on one of the three nuts that holds in the front turn signal lamp.

Read these threads before you start any cutting! Patience is a virtue and you will be glad to have had some in the end.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2c-gt-...emoval-repair/2637-what-again-headlights.html

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2c-gt-...pair/19737-reassembling-headlight-bucket.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I forgot to mention that my dad and/or brother disconnected the drivers side headlight retractor rod prior to me getting the car. I have a manual but all the images are drawings and not pictures. I can not tell by the drawings if the rod that I have is fully functional or how the peices fit together in relation to the frame and body. Even with out the rod, the driver's side light is still sticking. If anyone would mind posting a picture of the functioning rod and light I am sure that will help. Thanks for all the post. I will try each comment later this afternoon.

phillips66

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Josh,

Welcome to Opel ownership! Headlights are a common problem. As mentioned in the previous responses you need to check the cable under the front of the hood and lubricate it and the joints of the arms it attaches to.

When you take the headlamp housing out be sure to lubricate the lower pivot point toward the front of the headlight housing, and toward the rear of the headlight housing you will find the brass colored gearing. This is also a point that needs lubricating.

Of course this is just a simple maintenance explanation. If your car has been sitting unused for several years I would suggest removing the headlamp housing, cleaning and relubricating the lower pivot point with some grease, remove the brass colored gear mechanism toward the back of the headlight housing, take off the microswitches, wash and dry it thoroughly, oil the pivot point and grease the teeth, reinstall the microswitches (with new ones). Reinstall the brass gear mechanism. Before going any further consider rewiring your headlights at this point. GT headlight wiring is NOT grounded and the wires have a tendancy to become brittle and the insulation rots away.

Just a suggestion on how to do things the thorough way the first time around so you're not banging your head later. :banghead:

Go to Forum Jump scroll down to electrical and then click on lights, do a search query on "headlight rewiring" and numerous posts and even pictures should come up to help you with this.

Also you can call Opel GT Source 1-800-673-5487 and buy "Opel GT Owner's Workshop Manual". You can also get current and back issues of "THE BLITZ" newsletter from The Opel Motorsport Club, Opel Motorsports Club , with very helpful and clearly illustrated tips on how to do upkeep and restoration, rewiring, body work etc.

Also another FYI we just mentioned with another new member. Keep in mind 1969 GT's are very rare! Check your VIN# to be sure, 69's will have Square turn signal indicators in the dash, some have a two piece front bumper, turn signal lever with a button on the end of it for high beams, a vinyl covered ash tray, no pop out windows, no vinyl tray around the emergency brake..... and other small things unique to 69's.

Look forward to seeing your pics soon!
Neil

·
Opelicious
176 Posts
Also another FYI we just mentioned with another new member. Keep in mind 1969 GT's are very rare! Check your VIN# to be sure, 69's will have Square turn signal indicators in the dash, some have a two piece front bumper, turn signal lever with a button on the end of it for high beams, a vinyl covered ash tray, no pop out windows, no vinyl tray around the emergency brake..... and other small things unique to 69's.

Look forward to seeing your pics soon!
Neil
Just curious, but weren't more GT's made in '69 than any other single year? If they are so rare, is there a reason?

·
UngerDog
1,309 Posts
dad and/or brother disconnected the drivers side headlight retractor rod
The drivers side can be disconnected from the cable end and from the passenger side rod. This should allow you to manually roll each headlight and see if either is rotating freely. If one is getting caught and not rolling, you probably have an alignment problem that needs correcting. Other adjustments can be made once both buckets are reconnected and rotating together.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Just curious, but weren't more GT's made in '69 than any other single year? If they are so rare, is there a reason?
Jared, to quote the OMC, "1969 Opels were frequently junked in California in the 1980's, as the clumsy horsepower-robbing "A.I.R. "smog" system was required to be fully operational for state vehicle registration."

This may be one of the reasons.

·
Super Moderator
8,194 Posts
His answer was to cut into the bottom wheel well but I want to check with you prior to cutting this almost mint and original Opel. Has anyone had any problems with this? Thanks, phillips66
Josh, there are ways to work on almost every part of these cars that don't require surgery unless they've been involved in a wreck.

You have an Opel owner, I believe not too far away from you in Birmingham. The Irondale area IIRC. Bear did a lot of the mechanical work on his car and might be able to help you. He's working a 6 to 6 shift these days and it alternates weekly I believe.

Most common questions have been asked and answered in this forum. Do a search first, you may get lucky! My searches aren't always successful but I know the answers are here, there will usually be someone who remembers a thread pertaining to a post and refer to it if you can't find it yourself.

Harold

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Oh yes I forgot to mention, clean and scrub your front wheel well out and you'll find a small almost pentagon shaped access panel in the well behind the headlight bucket. Pull the screws and this should help you get access to removing the brass colored rotating gear for the headlights.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Moderator Note: Thread moved to the correct Forum:
2C - GT Headlamps Troubleshooting, Removal and Repair
Please have a look around (especially in the top "sticky" threads for some informative reading

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More detail

I have reviewed these threads until my eyes went bloodshot. I have not seen the same problem that I am having. My driver's side head light will not rotate to the open/on position. It will rotate about mid-turn. The headlamp retractor rod was taken off by the previous owner. I slid my hand and a small mirror under the light but can not see or feel anything holding the light. Has anyone seen this problem before?

phillips66

·
Super Moderator
9,720 Posts
I have reviewed these threads until my eyes went bloodshot. I have not seen the same problem that I am having. My driver's side head light will not rotate to the open/on position. It will rotate about mid-turn. The headlamp retractor rod was taken off by the previous owner. I slid my hand and a small mirror under the light but can not see or feel anything holding the light. Has anyone seen this problem before?

phillips66
Josh;
Just throwing my $.02 in, there's 3 small bolts that hold the headlight assembly to the rotator assembly, one of the bolts could have backed off and the head is blocking total rotation. Also, there's a type of spring/shock absorber on the back of the headlight bucket, it holds the piece that the headligh bucket uses to attach to the rotator assembly, this is held by 2 nut/screws, which can back off if not kept tight. If either the 3 bolts or 2 screws are not tight or broke, the headlight bucket will not rotate properly. Can you post pictures?

·
Senior Contributor
5,034 Posts
Try these for the center attachment point with the actuator cable attached.
Once you take the access panel off from inside the wheel well you should be able to pop the mechanism loose and rotate it by hand. There is latch lever that you can move and it should pop loose and then you can rotate it open. Before you do this disconnect the center attachment point so that you can rotate them independently.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,034 Posts
More Pictures

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,034 Posts
The last few

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts