Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1924 Ford Model T coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
There's a u-pull-it car parts lot near me that I visit frequently. Way back in September 2021 I discovered a 1969 GT in the last row. At first, I contacted a few people from both my local car club and another one that caters to "orphan" cars and let them know it was on the lot. I was hoping they would pick it clean but the last time I went back there it's pretty much untouched.

Here's the problem: This parts lot will leave a row of cars out for a limited amount of time, usually about six months. After that they could pull them from the lot at any time and crush them to make room for more inventory. This GT has been on the lot for about eight months and could go at any time. In the past, I've asked the cash register guys how much longer a row will be kept around and they don't know anything. I tried sending them email and didn't get a reply. I'll keep trying but no promises. I would like to get anything valuable off it ASAP.

Anyway. When I saw it was still back there I panicked and bought a handful of parts off it hoping I could resell them. It was an impulsive decision and I should have done a little research first.

Here's the details
  • 1969 GT with 1.9L engine and 4-sp manual transmission; in overall really rough condition
  • Chassis No 94 1847006
  • Engine No 19S-1034888
  • Very rusty like it's been sitting in a field for a long time (in upstate NY rain, snow)
  • Windshield and rear glass is intact but has scratches. A glass company would have to polish them.
  • Side windows and quarter windows look good.
  • Engine and transmission are intact as far as I can tell
  • I don't know if the engine is stuck or not
  • Shifter linkage only moves forward and back, not side to side so I sprayed it and it's loosened up nicely except for the reverse lock-out
  • Wiring is a terrible mess
  • Weber 2 bbl carb with coolant heated choke. choke plates are stuck

Is any of this worth saving? I don't need any of it, I'm trying to save the useable parts from the crusher and get them into the hands of someone who needs them.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Gas
Speedometer Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Auto part
Vehicle Gauge Car Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Über Genius
9,722 Posts
Where is this located? Upstate NY?
A few people will pay good money for that unmolested dash inset if it has the rectangular indicators.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,524 Posts
OpelJohn buys steering columns, even if only for parts.
The chunky metal cylinder where the clutch cable comes out of the firewall is frequently the forgotten item when converting to a manual trans. It may not seem like it, but it does come off, or cut behind it.
Even scratched windshields are worth getting. The hard part is getting one to a buyer.

·
Über Genius
9,722 Posts

·
Registered
1924 Ford Model T coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm working on getting the gauge cluster out now. I'm going back tomorrow with a drill to get the shear bolts out of the column. The backs of the gauges have some rust on them. I'm not sure how they'll price the whole gauge cluster, it might be $7 per gauge. Radio would be $13. I'm sure they'll charge for each switch too. Not sure why the bottom left rectangular indicator is silver. See photo. Steering wheel has cracks all over. Lock cylinder cap is missing, no key. The horn button had been removed a while ago but all the pieces are here.

I bought two red taillight lenses and one amber turn lens. That was before I realized reproductions were easy to get. Do the reproduction taillight lenses have the original Hella markings on them? Maybe these still have value.

I will definitely have a look at the clutch cable and see how easy it is to get that off.

I pulled the Bosch distributor off but I didn't buy it. Depends on if it's worthwhile. Distributors cost $26.

I pulled the hood release cable off. It would clean up I think.

Bumpers are rough. There are spots where the chrome has rusted through.

Steering rack rubber boots are torn. The car is raised up on stacks of tires now. I can turn the steering lock to lock and it seems OK. Likely $26.

What about calipers? Worth anything?

-Andrew

Wheel Automotive tire Rim Wood Audio equipment
Speedometer Plant White Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
The Young One
1,051 Posts
I'm working on getting the gauge cluster out now. I'm going back tomorrow with a drill to get the shear bolts out of the column. The backs of the gauges have some rust on them. I'm not sure how they'll price the whole gauge cluster, it might be $7 per gauge. Radio would be $13. I'm sure they'll charge for each switch too. Not sure why the bottom left rectangular indicator is silver. See photo. Steering wheel has cracks all over. Lock cylinder cap is missing, no key. The horn button had been removed a while ago but all the pieces are here.

I bought two red taillight lenses and one amber turn lens. That was before I realized reproductions were easy to get. Do the reproduction taillight lenses have the original Hella markings on them? Maybe these still have value.

I will definitely have a look at the clutch cable and see how easy it is to get that off.

I pulled the Bosch distributor off but I didn't buy it. Depends on if it's worthwhile. Distributors cost $26.

I pulled the hood release cable off. It would clean up I think.

Bumpers are rough. There are spots where the chrome has rusted through.

Steering rack rubber boots are torn. The car is raised up on stacks of tires now. I can turn the steering lock to lock and it seems OK. Likely $26.

What about calipers? Worth anything?

-Andrew

View attachment 444137 View attachment 444138
I don’t think calipers are worth much I have 5 pair of calipers that I got for free from some guy with a bunch of parts. You can buy brand new calipers on opelgtsource for $200 for a pair.

·
Über Genius
9,722 Posts
The gauges aren't where the value is. Take them out of the panel and the panel won't won't cost as much.
The radio, if it works, is worth more than $13 to a lot of people. I sold my last one for $65. The buyer said that was cheap.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,524 Posts
Not sure on the value of a clutch cable, but the metal cylinder at the firewall is what usually goes missing.

Right angle speedo drive at transmission.
Steering wheel is not as important as the column. Don't yank or hammer, you might damage the collapsible parts. There is a nut/bolt/clamp down at the floor. Might be serrated drive (like a torx but 12 points, also known as a triple square), or it could have been replaced with Allen or regular.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,524 Posts
Same thing happened to my Opel-themed version of War and Peace...

·
Registered
1924 Ford Model T coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Young Gt Lover: thanks for the caliper insight, I won't waste my time with them.

I was back at the yard yesterday and was surprised to see a very large amount of cars from row 33 gone. I walked to the end and discovered the GT was still there. There were four cars left before the GT and a few to the end of the row. I thought for sure they were going to pull it and crush it. I went nuts on it and pulled a bunch of parts off thinking this was my last chance. I bought the distributor (231 176 012), door glass both sides, driver side window regulator, side quarter windows, entire instrument cluster, steering column and wheel, one wheel trim ring, the tube for the clutch cable adjuster (but not the part on the firewall) and a handful of other pieces.

I went back today and discovered it's still there. I had a good look at the transmission and I don't know if it's the 1969 style. This trans has the speedo cable entering directly into the tailshaft housing without a swivel. if someone broke the swivel, will the speedo cable fit directly into the tailshaft housing? Speedometer does have the marking "W=1062" on it but it could be mis-matched if it's not the original trans. Regardless, should I pull the transmission out? Does it have any value?

·
Registered
The Young One
1,051 Posts
@Young Gt Lover: thanks for the caliper insight, I won't waste my time with them.

I was back at the yard yesterday and was surprised to see a very large amount of cars from row 33 gone. I walked to the end and discovered the GT was still there. There were four cars left before the GT and a few to the end of the row. I thought for sure they were going to pull it and crush it. I went nuts on it and pulled a bunch of parts off thinking this was my last chance. I bought the distributor (231 176 012), door glass both sides, driver side window regulator, side quarter windows, entire instrument cluster, steering column and wheel, one wheel trim ring, the tube for the clutch cable adjuster (but not the part on the firewall) and a handful of other pieces.

I went back today and discovered it's still there. I had a good look at the transmission and I don't know if it's the 1969 style. This trans has the speedo cable entering directly into the tailshaft housing without a swivel. if someone broke the swivel, will the speedo cable fit directly into the tailshaft housing? Speedometer does have the marking "W=1062" on it but it could be mis-matched if it's not the original trans. Regardless, should I pull the transmission out? Does it have any value?
Is the Weber carburetor in decent shape? I might be interested in it if it is cheap for a back up in case I get another Gt sometime.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

To me it does, especially if it’s a match for you. I just did a swap due to the rear bearing along with some other related failures on my original transmission. They’re easy to store in a shelf.
See what the guy wants for it, maybe $25-$50? When I was hunting around, it seemed that I was going to cough at least a couple of hundred when you included shipping.

I’m not sure if it’s a three bearing head but depending on how cheap you can get it those are pretty easy to remove & store too.

·
Registered
1924 Ford Model T coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Young Gt Lover: regarding the Weber carb, it's not great. The choke plates are rusty and stuck. I cant see down inside. Their price would be USD $33.47, a bit much for something uncertain. I would have to take the cover off to judge the condition.

@The Cub: my goal is to save anything valuable from the crusher. I would have to pay US$146.87 for it (plus several hours of my time) and then find somone to buy it from me. They won't give me a date but it's getting crushed soon.

Looks like the outside mirror I bought is aftermarket, I'll try to return it ASAP.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,051 Posts
@Young Gt Lover: regarding the Weber carb, it's not great. The choke plates are rusty and stuck. I cant see down inside. Their price would be USD $33.47, a bit much for something uncertain. I would have to take the cover off to judge the condition.

@The Cub: my goal is to save anything valuable from the crusher. I would have to pay US$146.87 for it (plus several hours of my time) and then find somone to buy it from me. They won't give me a date but it's getting crushed soon.

Looks like the outside mirror I bought is aftermarket, I'll try to return it ASAP.
Ok that weber is not worth that much.

·
Registered
1924 Ford Model T coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what I thought too. Their prices are high on some things but reasonable on others.

OK everyone, I need opinions on these parts:

Steering rack. This one is beat but rebuildable. Bushings and boots are available from OGTS. Are these common (not worth saving?)

Pedal assembly. I see some guys are converting automatics to manual transmissions. What is the likelihood someone would buy this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts