Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
70 GT wheel bearings

Help,

Can anyone tell me where to locate a set of 70 GT rear wheel bearings? I cannot seem to find them even at the Bearing manufactures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
They no longer exist. They are not made anymore, here or in Europe. Occasionally some NOS ones show up on ebay or other forums, but they're expensive. Best option is to swap to a later rear axle, from 1971-1973.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob,

Bummer.....Not the answer I wanted to hear. I just hate to go to a latter year rear end, it wouldn't be a 70 GT any more, well not to me any way.

Dave

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well if you cannot find the parts for your rear end i have a extra one. i am unsure of the year and condition but i'd be glad to tear the cover off and inspect if your interested in buying.

·
Super Moderator
5,996 Posts
Just look at the differential vent. The old style had a metal cap with a wire retainer sticking out of it, while the later style had a plastic vent cap

That's what I was going to suggest, to find a decent used older style differential. I know there are LOTS of them lurking out there, and if all you need are the bearings, then it would be less bulky to ship just those. Although you might also need the axles as well, since the bearings rode directly on the axles in these early differentials, and if the bearings are damaged, the axles probably are as well.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well it has the plastic vent cap, i have the older style in my 70gt, but its a posi or something like that. i think its a limited slip because it will spin one tire some times, sometimes two, and sometimes it goes from spinning one tire then starts spinning both of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.