Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,512 Posts
Nice installation Otto! :cool3: The PO of my GT put a small (MG, TR, etc) pump on, but it no longer works. The Carter looks ideal. Have you found a need to put a spray shield around the pump? It appears to be almost directly behind the rear wheel so maybe the spray goes to either side?

For all of you who have electric fuel pump conversions, have you found a pump which would be installed INSIDE the fuel tank (like the newer cars)? I have seen a couple of the "right" size, (IIRC - the S-10 pickup is one) but they are for FI and run 70-90 psi. I don't think I would even want to try a regulator from 70 to 4 psi! :sigh:

Doug
Here's my installation. I wrapped the pump in vinyl tubing to silence and protect it, but I believe you don't need a shield. I've gone back after this picture and secured the ground wire better and put a sleeve around it, but otherwise this setup has held for about 2000miles of driving with some of that in the rain, gravel, etc...
Auto part Fuel line Suspension part Pipe Suspension

·
Registered
8 Posts
THanks for this insight

I had the same problems with my GT- engine got hot after running awhile and didn"t want to re-start. A Pertronix and electric fuel pump solved everything. I stuck my new carter up front temporarily along with a MG inertia switch but it works so well that I think it will stay for awhile :cool:
Gosh poffenroth described my story perfectly. Nothing like watching your engine starve for fuel, or getting stuck while stopped Hot starting was almost impossible-had to nail accelerator to floor and hope to catch ignition. Very embarrassing.

My effort so far: I rerouted the fuel link in a similar manner forward of the radiator, no help. I put a manifold heat shield, no help. Used ethanol free gas-no help.

I'm not giving up. I just bought Pertronix 1847V with 3 ohm internal resistor to upgrade ignition system. I have a purchased an Airtex E8016S electric fuel pump with a 2.5-4 psi output pressure. So I am glad to hear of some successes in this thread.

Two questions:

1)Is it ok, to place the electric pump in the engine bay, will heat affect the pump?. Also heard these pumps "push" fuel better than "pull fuel", so they should be back by the tank. Should I bother with that? I like the ease of the engine mounted pump shown in this photo!
2) : Where did you pull the pump power from. The fuse box? what terminal?, starter relay?, other spot. Specifics would be appreciated.

Lastly, FYI-for safety I decided not to mess with an oil pressure kill switch. Got a Ford Inertia switch which I will wire to the ground lead. Any upsetting car stunts, and the inertia switch kills circuit, $10.00 bucks, 5 minutes to install. Safety improvement without excess work.

·
Can Opeler
3,512 Posts
Got your private message. I’ll reply here to help out better.

-What gauge wire do I need?

You need at minimum 16 Ga assuming you got the Carter P60504 pump that draws 4.5amps. Mine is wired with about 8’ of 16ga if I remember right. I would recommend 14ga just Incase it draws more than it’s rated 4.5amps.

-Where did you connect positive power to?
Mine is spliced into the positive power supply to my coil. This circuit has adequate amperage for the P60504 pump. If you have the original coil with the resistor wire you MUST connect directly to fuse box or else you get low voltage to the pump. I can’t remember which fuse the coil is on, but it can easily be found at Opelgtsource’s website under tips and the file “electrical notes.”

see this orange wire? That goes to my electric choke (not a factory wire). You can connect or splice onto this fuse box location (3rd fuse from the left)

-Can it be mounted in the engine bay?
Yes but it won’t work properly and will burn itself up eventually. Just mount it behind the rear driver wheel as shown in my picture previously in this thread. Super easy.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts