Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Opeler
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Can anyone provide me with a detailed photo / sketch of the assembly of the rear lighting system in a '71 GT?

I've acquired a restorer, in which someone else started the process. All the rear lenses are removed, the little metal brackets that hold the bulbs are hanging loose inside the gas tank area. None are intact, so I can only guess at how they are supposed to be installed. Each time I look at them, I think I've got the right idea, but then some little voice says "nope..."

What I'd like to find ideally is a series of photos showing various stages of disassembly/assembly (not like there's a whole lot of stages, but... it'd be nice to put it back together correctly!!)

Thanks in advance,
Bob

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Bob, I'm guessing you are referring to the lites on the rear sides of the car. The tail lights are pretty straight forward. Here's a couple of pics of the right rear side light, one by itself with brackets, the other installed, kinda, the top bracket is still loose in the pic. HTH, if you need more info, just post it on this thread and I'll help if I can.

Ron

Attachments

·
Opeler
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ron!

This is definitely a tremendous help, I've looked and looked, but couldn't find "just the right" pictures anywhere on the net.

Actually, I would like to see the tail light assemblies as well.... I have the lenses sitting in a cardboard box, no screws (or bolts/nuts)... not sure which I need for mounting. It looks as though the metal brackets are screwed to the car's frame first, then the lenses are screwed in place after that. Doing it this way, though, the screw head that holds the metal bracket in place is in the way of the lens cover, not making a good fit.

It doesn't make sense if the bracket and lenses are screwed together, as this would seem to create quite a problem when the time came to replace a bulb... removing the lens would make the whole assembly fall apart again, with no method of reaching behind and holding the assembly in place to get the first screw started! ????

I know this shouldn't be rocket science, even if it were, wouldn't rockets have been pretty basic in '71?

·
Opeler
48 Posts
Just put some back in last week. There are 3 holes that are recessed that take screws to hold it to the car, then a gasket, that covers those and then the covers are screwed on. Didn't take any photos, but will be taking it back apart to find a short sometime this week.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Don't forget the gasket between the car body and round sections which creates the chrome circle next to the lens(all 4 tail lights). If you don't put this in, you will slowly scratch your paint. :)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
O.K. here's the order the tail light assemblies go on the car, from the pic, left to right. First a large o-ring under the light holder assembly, between that and the body of the car. The assembly can only go on one way due to the angle of the light and body, it is held on with 3 button head phillips sheet metal screws. Next a foam rubber gasket goes under the lens, note the orientation by a rectangular peg on one side of the lens, that is held on with two 4 X 0.7 metric phillips screws. Also, OGTS has a complete assortment of the necessary gaskets for the light assemblies, it's the bottom of the two in the pic. I'll try to edit this with pics when my digital camera gets back from Margaret's Grand Daughter's horse riding lessons later today. In the mean time, HTH.

Ron

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Gas!

jlthunder said:
Don't forget the gasket between the car body and round sections which creates the chrome circle next to the lens(all 4 tail lights). If you don't put this in, you will slowly scratch your paint. :)
Worse than that (just..) no gaskets and the exhaust gases leak back into the car and poison the occupants. Be warned. :eek:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does anyone know a good way of fixing the "chrome ring"? My taillight housings are fine, but the chrome has peeled off alot of the rings, leaving just a cloudy see through ring.

Thanks.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Don't know of any fix, but OGTS sells reproduction reflector housings. They look very nice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, I did notice that...38 bucks apiece. Was just trying to find a little cheaper way..but when you sink 5 grand into the car, what is another hundred :) I noticed that you have to remove the metal bulb holder from the old to transfer to the new..the old ones are rivetted on....how is installing them??

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yes Kevin they can be fixed. The procedure is odd but effective. First is to strip off all the old paint but most solvents or paint strippers will eat into the plastic so don't try them. Best I've found is brake fluid to take off just the paint then redo the chrome on them.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
bozkm, well if you install L.E.D. tailights from DESTEC, for about 150.00, you won't have to worry about the tabs. The connections hook up to the existing wiring :) OGTS was running a special for a complete set of reflectors and lenses. I don't know the price.

Remember, overtime helps with opelitis :p

Nobody, what do you use for the replacement chrome?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
For the chrome it depends on the light as they do differ in shade. it also depends on if your rematching or starting from scratch.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I'd start from scratch, what do you suggest?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks.

Dave - Did you just use "chrome" paint which I see occasionally at parts stores?? I think they make a "chrome" fingernail polish also which might work.

jlthunder - The Destec option sounds interesting. I couldn't find a website, but alot of info on the site. Does the 150 get you new housings and lenses??

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
No, it will just get you the lights, no reflectors or lenses. Destec is also a member of this site. You can PM him and get a quote and picture.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The chrome paint has a dull side as it adheres to plastic and is hard to work with. Yes the fingernail polish works well but matching it is the key. There is a paint I've used that matches well also. Tamiya chrome is extremely close.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dave, have you ever tried to paint the outside of the rings?? Then the chrome would be to the outside, and you wouldn't have to worry about getting the old stuff off.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Kevin, I've never tried it but I have fixed a few that were done that way. Have a look at Rimmel 60 seconds mirror nail polish 597 Metallic. It's a dead ringer to original and has a thicker consistancy than some of the paints I've used. I put a corner back on a rear side marker and matched the original so it can't be seen. I haven't tried the ones from OGTS but I have noticed my side markers have oxidized from them in about a year leaving them looking dull. This is why I started getting into fixing originals.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
part of a solution, bath towel ring

bozkm said:
Does anyone know a good way of fixing the "chrome ring"? My taillight housings are fine, but the chrome has peeled off alot of the rings, leaving just a cloudy see through ring.

Thanks.
i have the same problem, i have been thinking about a polished metal ring.it would look better than oringinal. it looks ok to sit on it, but it i need a way to cut it in half or find a ring with an open back. i tried an AL bath towel ring, its got a seam in the bottom, but its got a good look to it. $5 from target, i sized it down a bit,i dont know if the is a way to cut the ring in half,then it would be perfect.

surely there is some sort of generic metal ring to cosmetize this...like a dash cap

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts