Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody here have a 71 gt besides myself? i look around and the only things i seem to see are 73, 70, and a '69....
just curious, if you do have one could you post something, maybe send me some pics?
for those who are wondering i have a 71 gt with a custom paint job - 1997 mazda competition yellow. i dont mind the color, it has a nice glint in the sun, even though it isnt an opel color. i dont have the twin black stripes up the sides i often see in pictures, either. i have the original rims, the body and wheels are in excellent condition, been garaged and babied its entire life. interior is nearly mint, with the occasional miniscule split in the vinyl... (and i dont know if this is really true or not, but supposedly the fact that the clock in my dash actually works is a rarity?) the guy i bought it from put in the more powerful engine of the two intended for the gt models and he has redone the electrical. the car is a fine peice of work. he also put running lights behind the front grille, but you cant see them unless its night time. car came complete with maintenance records and the original manual. although the steering wheel was supposedly too small to comfortably drive with, i still have it, although the previous owner (my neigbour) put a wider one on. im thinking maybe i should go back to the original one, but not yet. i have to get it insured before i take it out.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Now that you mention it I don't see many 71 GT's around. At one time me and my dad had 6 GT's one 69, two 70's, one 72, one 73, and one 73 titled as a 74. The 73/74 was weird it had 2 split tail lights and 2 red tail lights with clear back up lights bult into them.

Anyway, sounds like you have a good car. :D There is nothing like driveing a GT, by far my favorite car.:D

·
371 Posts
i had a 71 for a while but had to sale her mine had auto matic in and air stocks 15in slot wheels withtwo big fat rear tires on it now a have a 72 gt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey cool cool. thanks for the responses...
by the way, how many of our members here actually talk? by the looks of things, its only 10 or so of us who post replies in here.... kind of odd to me. oh well.
how old are the people in here? im only 16 but it seems like theres alot of older guys and not many people my own age..

~Brad

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I'm 27 and definately on the younger side of the spectrum. Most people your age, or even my age are playing with their 'rice burners'.....

-Travis

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Yello'71 said:
hey cool cool. thanks for the responses...
by the way, how many of our members here actually talk? by the looks of things, its only 10 or so of us who post replies in here.... kind of odd to me. oh well.
how old are the people in here? im only 16 but it seems like theres alot of older guys and not many people my own age..

~Brad
From the Statistics page:

Miscellaneous Stats

Registered Members: 706
Active Members: 151
Non Active Members: 555

20% active is a good number for a site like this. Many members are lukers until they have a specific question or have a problem. Maybe we should start an "Intro" Forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah those crazy ricing fools. you really think 27 is on the younger side for this site? i suppose thatd be true considering the age of the gt. i know a lot of guys who would kill for an opel though, heh heh. ricer owners are definitely some pretty stupid people. buy the jap scrap and tow it around...must be their idea of fun..but i guess it keeps good cars out of their undeserving hands.. good thing they dont buy good classic cars and throw all that ricer garbage on it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
151 active users? what is considered an active user??? i really dont see 151 people talking in here... not sayin youre wrong, maybe an active user is someone whos posted in the last 2 mts or somethin. beats me

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
2 years ago, I took my '69 GT to a local show. The "Foreign" class trophy was sponsored by a rice rocket club. Their club displayed around 20 cars with the flashing lights, carpeted displays, mirrors, etc. Guess who ended up with the prize in this judged show? :D
They were not happy that a car older than they were beat 'em out. Nice size trophy too.

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Yello'71 said:
151 active users? what is considered an active user??? i really dont see 151 people talking in here... not sayin youre wrong, maybe an active user is someone whos posted in the last 2 mts or somethin. beats me
Since 3/17/02.

·
648 Posts
I'm now 41, and feel like 60 (years of bodily abuse under cars)

I just act like I'm 16..........

James

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry gary

kind of ignored your suggestion about the intro message board. sounds interesting, might make the forums more active. i myself as you can see just registered a few days ago and i didnt seem to have any trouble finding myself comfortable in the forums....but then again im not very shy and i spend a lot of time on the net cuz im a hick with nothing better to do. overall i think it'd be an alright idea. i guess it all depends on how the users feel about using it.

~Brad

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
OpelGT.com History

OpelGT.com has been around in several different incarnations since 1998. I always wanted it to be a dynamic site that did not have to rely on one person for updates and also did not want to duplicate a lot of the information that was on the other Opel sites. Just provide links to them.

We changed to a "Portal/ Forum" format about a year ago. Back in March, we converted over to vBulletin forum program and vBPortals for the main page. vBulletin is the main engine for the site. vBPortals is the community page that ties everything together. Both products are constantly being updated and more "Modules" are being added. In fact, I am holding off on the next upgrade until they release more modules. I am testing the upgrade now in a test forum. I have close to 1,000 photos waiting to be uploaded to the new photo gallery.

I use a stable host for the site that includes a lot of needed features as part of their monthly fee. Because it is paid for service you will not see any pop-up or pop-under ads or annoying redirect pages. If I do go with any advertising, it *will* be Opel or classic car related.

Bottom line, OpelGT.com will end up being whatever the members want it to be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
new stuff

sounds like youve had a good history with the site. im really happy that theres no ads or popups, i hate it when sites throw up 3 ads for every page you load. so when do you suppose you'll upload all these new images(and other stuff too)?
btw i love the site - you (or whoever) does the site, it looks good
and works excellent

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
'71 GT's

Yello'71 wrote on 10-22-2002 01:42 PM:
hey you own a 71 gt as well. would you mind telling me more about yours?

Well, I was just about to reply, but mainly because I noticed you were a fellow Canadian. Yes, I also have a '71 GT. But it is really not that rare.

The full story on GT's can be read at

http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=oana

In a nutshell, there were 103,364 GT's made (or perhaps a bit fewer, depending on the actual number of '68's, either 541, or 121, depending on the source). Apparently 70,595 were imported into the States, which I don't believe includes Canadian imports. Somewhere I read that approximately 81,000 were exported from Germany, which leaves 10,000 for Canada and the continent, including a few that (unofficially) went to England. Unofficially because GT's were never made in right-hand drive mode, which made them ineligible for official import. So you can guess that, at a population ratio of 10:1, and accounting for the different demographics, approximately 5000 came to Canada. And the rest to Europe and other countries such as Finland. Which has a VERY active GT owner list!

Anyway, the "official" build number of '71's is 14,715, or slightly less than the 17,389 in 1972, and somewhat less than the 34,997 in '69 and the 24,242 in 1970. But the definition of a "71" might be a bit ambiguous, since the "build year" probably refers to the actual year built, while the "model year" refers to what the factory decided to call it. My '71 was built in November 1970. Typically, after an August build date, they were called the next model year There are even a few "74's" (no such thing, really), but they were '73's that weren't registered until 1974.

And in my personal experience, I have seen far more '71 GT's than any other year. Maybe they caught on later in Canada?

As for my "personal" GT, it is currently in the middle (end?) of a VERY long restoration. Sixteen years, but who is counting? Maybe my 17 year old daughter, who we used to joke would be old enough to drive it when it was finally done. Might be hope for my youngest daughter, age 6. HIGHLY unlikely for my middle daughter at 14!

And I happen to have a picture of it, taken at the recent Opels Across America & Canada meeting at my house on October 12 just past. The red car belongs to Katheryn (the Crazy Opel Lady of Leduc) McCoy. Mine is the sad urethane primer yellow thing up on stands, with the engine suspended from above. More pictures of that event can be found at:

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/grou...st?.dir=/OAA%26C+Calgary+2002&.src=gr&.view=t

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts