Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got the Kadett towed home. It's in remarkably good shape, with a little cancer under the battery, under the spare tire (which says made in Belgiam) and the bottom corners of the front fenders. I was wondering if anybody could direct me to sources on the following parts:

rear 1/4 window weather stripping
pivot bushing for the gas pedal-firewall mount
master cylinder resvoir cap

Also- what holds the front edge of the 1/4 windows in? Is it friction with the weather strip? the seals are shot, and the window fell out when I opened the rear pop out.

are the door panels held in with pop-in clips like most cars that age? I'd hate to tear the panels trying to pry them off when there's some other mechanism.

Thanks. I'll post pics later this week.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Dave;
For the body parts, you're going to have to get creative or do some serious searching on the net. Here's a site to get you started:
www.o-t-r.de
As for the 1/4 windows, they're probably like the Sportwagon ones, in which there's two "hinges" that are glued to the glass and set into the frame. You'll have to devise your own way of re-attaching. one member has used JB +Weld to some degree of success. The door panels do indeed have clips, just be careful
Gene

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, fun, glue on clips....that's entertaining.....Maybe once I find the weatherstripping, I can fake something. I checked out the link, and it's obvious I need to brush up on my German. I think most of the rust holes will be simple sheet metal welds, no biggie. The rest is surface rust, which just needs sanded out. A little POR 15 in the trunk, and all is right with the world. Luckily, the floor pans are spotless.
The biggest problem immediately will be getting the engine spinning and the brakes working. The master cylinder is shot, completely dry and had no cap on it. Who knows what shape the lines are in inside!

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
ultraclyde said:
The biggest problem immediately will be getting the engine spinning and the brakes working. The master cylinder is shot, completely dry and had no cap on it. Who knows what shape the lines are in inside!
Well, here is a NOS Kadett MC on eBay. Which is where I do a lot of Opel shopping, at least for things I might need "someday". Which is darn near everything I don't already have two of!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33566&item=7923557635&rd=1

HTH

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Master cylinders from several BMW's will bold directly onto the Kadett booster, but do not have the support hold tapped into the end. You might want to look around for what your local parts store has on hand as a reference for a conversion that might be easier to maintain. (I often use one from a mid-80's 3-series.)

For the pop-out windows, the best long-term solution is to find an early Kadett and rob it of it's retaining strip. They last much, much longer and work a lot better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm bidding on the ebay MC. Looks like a good deal. Do the other MCs mentioned fit all drum manual brakes, or just the power ones?

Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.