Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left brake light is bright. Right brake light is weaker. I had earlier removed paint where the ground wires for those lights are attached to the body with screws. Maybe I need to remove more paint under those contacts? Don't want rust to start though.

I do not use the headlights and will replace that wiring next spring. Earlier I had cut the wires right were they attach to the headlights and separated them and put liquid electrical tape to insulate the ends as best I could. Hopefully those wires aren't shorted. The insulation is brittle and broken though at those wires.

The left front and rear turn signals are bright. Right rear turn signal is weaker (and slower?). The front right turn signal (the curved amber lights) does not light up. I'll have to check that light's wiring, ground wire and bulb. Activating the right turn signal causes the red light on the dash to come on and not flash.
When using the turn signals the ammeter and oil pressure gauges move with the clicking of the turn signal relay.
After starting the car the ammeter starts showing a discharge with the red ammeter light on. It then shows that it is charging and the red light goes off. The ammeter then slowly goes to zero as the battery is charged but when I accelerate, the red discharge light comes on again.
The fuse list in my 1972 factory service manual only lists 5 amp and an 8 amp fuse at position #3 but one of the schematics shows a 15 amp fuse at fuse position #3. Which is correct?

Thanks,

·
1000 Post Club
4,115 Posts
This sounds like a ground issue. Clean all grounds. Run temporary grounds to where you are having issues. Sometimes I will connect a wire directly to the negative (-) battery terminal and then to the fixture I'm looking at so I know it is good.

Test the bulbs!!! They might look good, but test them with a good 12 volt sources. Clean all your contacts!! Make sure the brake light isn't put in backwards, it is a dual filament bulb and can be forced in the wrong way.

Start with the basics and move forward.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts