Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know which turn signal relay is supposed to go in my 72 gt? it has a 4 prong "soda can" type in it now, but the right signal won't work -- left one does, but that may be a wiring issue. i went to o'reilly and they found it (i didn't think they would even know what an opel is), but they gave me a buss number 552, which is a 2 prong relay. tried it in my car and it didn't work. just wondering which one really goes in it.

mike

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Stock for a GT is marked 196 BGE201.125 12V 2/4x21+3W on the side, on top it is marked BGE101 SWF-DOT J590C/J945. It is a 3 prong unless you alter the wiring to use the 2 prong. Take those #'s in and they should be able to match it, By the way stock was black plastic and square.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as I have had my GT's, the turn signal relay(the one behind the lower left part of the dash panel, by the heater control panel ) has had 4 prongs, not 3.
I've seen both the round metal type, & the square plastic type of body. -Have opened one up, & it had a little circuit board & a couple of small relays inside. One of the relays could not be working, or stuck.

·
273 Posts
Guys,

I would request a free drawing and eTip from DESTEC Engineering regarding the mysteries of the Opel GT turn signal circuit, and its recommended updated modifications (no cutting of wires required) no more double green flashing lights too.

email me your POSTAL mailing address and I will send you a free copy.

[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Destec, Would it be possible to post the drawing/ modification info on this site for all to see?

As for using other type of flashers, I seriously doubt that a replacement 4 prong flasher can be found. - at least I have never
been able to find one at NAPA, AUTOZONE, CHECKER AUTO, SCHUCK'S, or any other parts store I have tried.

I too have the occasional 'double green flashing' turn signals problem on one of my GT's.

Any othe ideas/comments????

mark

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm thinking that my relay must be bad. the right signals work great (after extensive re-wiring), but the left side is not so good. all of the wiring appears to be intact, but the signals don't light up. i have cleaned the grounds and all of the obvious stuff, but they still no worky.

by the way...mine has the "euro-style" parking lights, that is, with the ignition off, and either turn signal on, the side markers and turn signals light up. is this normal, or is my car more jacked than i thought??

mike

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
A stock flasher replacement is made by Beck Arnley. 3 prong meant to replace the bosch. It is a type 569 and sells at parts america.com for about 11 bucks. Their part # for it is 2020033. I believe that is also Kragen, Shucks and a few other national chains. I'll put this in the product page when I can.

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine is a 4 terminal relay. i found one at autozone, and now everything works fine. i had to clean every bulb and ground as well, but it was worth it. all of the lights work, even the "euro-style" parking lights...could that be why mine is 4 terminals.

thanks for all your help.

mike

·
273 Posts
I use the Inet at the library and they are PeeCee. I use a Mac.
and the drawing is a autocad file. Can't post. a 300dpi original copy is yours free for the asking; via, snail mail. The mod is also on my wiring diagram poster.
Super simple circuit. Super simple mod. Will keep your GT turn signals running perfectly forever--maybe longer.

JJ

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I just pulled the flasher from my 72 GT to check it against the part #s posted, I have an "SWF" BGE 20C.852. Last time I drove the car the turn signals worked, but that was almost 10 years ago.

JJ, if you want or will allow, I can scan the schematic you sent me and post the notes regarding the turn signals and that part of the schematic to this list.

Ron

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The following 3 images have been scanned and posted with the approval of JJ Wheatley of DESTEC. If you want a full size schematic, plastic coated to keep it clean and measuring a whopping 14" X 21.75", contact JJ off list. He also has a beautiful set of LED tail lights for our Opel GTs. Now back to the images.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
And the last. Note that the wire from the flasher at pin "C" to the indicator lights stops and is picked up again at the speedometer housing next to the light bulb.

Ron

Attachments

·
273 Posts
Flasher eTip dwg. mod

The drawing is worth having but here is a picture of
what the drawing tells (1/3 of it any way.) There are 3 ways to do this mod; the dwg shows all three. Anyone wanting an original, easy-to-view copy I can snailMail you one.

JJ

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts