Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X( I just bought a ´72 GT. At first the alternator didn´t seem to work. I found a wire attached to one of two bolts comming out of either side of the alternator and another wire that didn´t seem to go anywhere. They looked as if they once went together so I attached them. Now the altenator works. I can disconnect the batt. cables when running and it keeps running. Then it stoped working all together. No electric at all. guages didnt move, no lights, no engine crank, untill I accidently kicked the fuse box (strip). Then It worked again. BUT! now I can start it and drive it but when I shut it off it won´t start again for 20 to 30 min. Seems like something is getting hot and has to cool down. Any advice might help. Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I´d consider changing both battery cables, adding a large ground strap between chassis and engine block, and replacing all the fusible links (there should be three, but some cars have only two). Bad connections will conduct electricity poorly when hot. The fusebox probably warrants a close examination too.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts