Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m finally getting the ‘72 Rallye project underway.

I bought the car in 2004 (I think), got it running, and drove it for a few months. I started the bodywork, then decided to take it off the road and do a complete restoration. Well, as I got into it, my son neared driving age. I had another Manta, a ‘73, that was stored at my parents’ house in their garage, that needed all manner of things, but that son wanted as a first car. So, we retrieved that car, and, since I was gutting the ‘72 anyway for restoration, I used the ‘72 as a parts tree for his car.

There’s a long story about the engine in the ‘73 that I won’t go into here, but the original engine spun a rod bearing, and the end result is that the ‘73, after a long tussle with the machine shop, got a rebuilt engine. The engine that was used was the one from the '72. But it took so long that my son needed a vehicle, and he got tired of keeping my truck when he was an hour away. So, he bought himself a pickup truck (‘89 F-150) and drove that for about eight or nine years while the ‘72 and ‘73 were parked in my garage. Then he bought a ‘65 F-100, and that’s another story...and another (current) project.

Sometime in there, the ‘72 made it far enough up the priority list once in a while, that occasionally a thing or two got done. But, mostly, it just patiently waited.

So, its time has finally come. There’s a ton to do, and I won’t get it done quickly. So, the engine with zero miles on it, is currently installed in the ‘73, and has never been started. The ‘73 also has a Getrag 5 speed, which right now I'm not planning to use. The rear axle from the Rallye got used in the initial ‘73 build. So, I’ll swap that back from the ‘73 to the ‘72. The front suspension is off the car, and I’ve started to disassemble it for a complete rebuild. Waiting on a spring compressor before I can resume that.

The interior is partially out of the car. The front seats, pedals carpet, are all out. The rear seat will likely come out tomorrow, and maybe the dash, door panels, and anything else I’m not remembering now.

That’s enough for now. I’ll see if I can add pictures.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Machine

-Carson

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Keep the Getrag, you'll appreciate down the road. Was this one a Rallye? It appears to have the Flat black hood and it doesn't appear to have the rot above the fuse box.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this is the '72 Rallye, with the flat black hood.
The reason I'm leaning toward not putting the 5-speed in is that I'm also planning on restoring the '73 after I get done with the '72. The Getrag will go in the '73.
The battery box is surprisingly free from rust.

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
The reason I'm leaning toward not putting the 5-speed in is that I'm also planning on restoring the '73 after I get done with the '72. The Getrag will go in the '73.
There are options besides the getrag for a 5 speed. Even easier in a Manta, I'd think.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
So is there a badge on the trunk that says 'Rallye', or that were on the fenders? Looks like this was re-painted..... don't ever recall that color on a Rallye, or even any Manta or Ascona....is there another color of paint under that metallic blue? A real Rallye will have the tach in the instrument cluster, and a 3.73 rear axle ratio, with some other goodies.

That's a VA inspection sticker on the windshield. I am in the Shenandoah Valley.... so if you are close, let me know. Excellent on the battery box situation!

·
Detritus Maximus
3,206 Posts
Hey, nice Manta project! Look for a pm from me...pm, conversation/discussion, whatever they call it these days...

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there another color of paint under that metallic blue?
No, I believe the blue is the original color. The interior under the carpet is blue. With the 'tar' over it. There's no other color under the blue. When I removed the stick-on Rallye stripes years ago, I went through to the metal in a couple places - no other paint under it. (Were the original stripes stick-on?)... Also, fog lights, as well as the fog light switch and tach on the instrument panel.
Either it was originally blue, or someone did a hell of a job making it look like it.
There is a color chart I found on the interwebs (so you know it's authentic...):
Product Rectangle Font Material property Pattern

And the page from the '72 sales brochure:
Publication Font Paper Document Paper product

Both of those make it look like Strato Blue was available for the Rallye.

Both of the Mantas I've had in my life were Fire Glow, so, in the end, this one will be, too.

I'm in King George, VA. You can see by the '05 inspection sticker how long I've been waiting to get this going...

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,584 Posts
Your story sounds very familiar. About half of us here could tell you the same one with just tiny variations.

Dieter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am pretty sure the dash in not original. It has the two round vents out next to the doors, as well as the two in the center. Was the '72 like the '73 in that it would only have the pair of vents in the center of the dash?

·
Super Moderator
14,302 Posts
I am pretty sure the dash in not original. It has the two round vents out next to the doors, as well as the two in the center. Was the '72 like the '73 in that it would only have the pair of vents in the center of the dash?
The 4-vent dashes were from 1974-1975.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what I recall. I've got a two-vent dash, but I'm pretty sure the two-vent is in worse shape than the four-vent that's in there. So, there's another potential job: Dash repair/restoration...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been reading about front coil springs this morning. Got the contact info for the place in Kansas. I am looking to put the car back together as much stock as possible. No racing, no lowering, just return her to her former glory and enjoy the ride. Rock auto has front and rear springs from LESJOFORS (4063421 and 4263412). They say the springs are for body type 58 and 59. I am unfamiliar with these designations. Does anyone know anything about these springs, or have other recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
14,302 Posts
I've been reading about front coil springs this morning. Got the contact info for the place in Kansas. I am looking to put the car back together as much stock as possible. No racing, no lowering, just return her to her former glory and enjoy the ride. Rock auto has front and rear springs from LESJOFORS (4063421 and 4263412). They say the springs are for body type 58 and 59. I am unfamiliar with these designations. Does anyone know anything about these springs, or have other recommendations?
I’ll admit I never heard of them either.

I did a little Google-Fu and it appears they are a Swedish company with a US subsidiary in Pennsylvania. Their website does indeed list springs available for the 1970-1975 Manta A. They reference them as Model 58 and Model 59 (though in the US they were Model 57’s).

For that price I’d say they are a fairly safe gamble.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
Yes, there was a small (~1.5"x2") on the trunk lid. Not on the fenders.
OK, the badges on the fender sometimes were not there. But the one on the trunk always was. The trunk badge is about 3" long and mount through 2 holes. The fender badges were small... almost sounds like you have a fender badge on the trunk. As for stripes, they were a thick paint, like the black on the hood. Never have been able to peel any of the stripes off. But there may have been vinyl replacement for repairs.

I just cannot recall a metallic blue on a Manta. There was a light baby blue, which must be the glacier, and a medium blue which must be the Strato but I don't recall a metallic blue. But that is all going way back in time!

Check that rear axle ratio... that was unique to Rallye's AFAIK. (Unless some wagons had it too...)

Ditto on the models 58 and 59.... Wha? Is there something wrong with the front springs that you have?

Good deal on King George.... not quite next door!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing wrong with the springs I've got, just that they are 40 years old, and I've got the front suspension rebuild going, so I might as well do it now.

The car is definitely (40 year old) Strato Blue Metallic, which is on my '73 DuPont "Buick Opel Exterior Colors" paint chip card:

Tire Automotive tire Tread Font Material property

The pic of the badge I found on Google is the way mine looked on the rear of the trunk lid:
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Light

And there are no holes in the fenders. Where the 'Manta' and '1900' emblems would be on a Manta, there are no holes. Did the '72 Rallye even have fender badges? In '73 they did; they had the Manta and 1900 badges, I believe, but according to the sales brochure, it looks like no fender badges in '72:
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Tire

No, not next door, but it's not a bad drive from here to Skyline drive, Luray, etc.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
Good deal.... can't believe I never saw a Strato metallic blues Manta but there you go! And I confused the badge location with the 'OPEL" location.. thanks for the pix post to set me straight.

If the present springs are good, that would be indicated by the car setting at the correct ride height; if that is the case, then just use the ones you have. Unless they get loaded heavily for a long time, then these don't typically 'settle' or weaken. Getting the right free length and rate to actualy duplicate the stock springs is not at all a given in an aftermarket spring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice project, sounds like my story, bought my Manta around 02 and only drove it for a few months, parked since and now it's finally time to restore it. I picked up a part car which is turning into a parallel project, one mostly original, one V8 swap. Both of mine are the same color as yours.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts