Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking (unsuccessfully) for a plastic fuel filter with return line to replace the metal can version (with return line) that is now in my GT. Anyone have a suggestion of brand and part number?? I'm preparing for the summer heat here......where 110 (or more) is the norm for weeks at a time. At some point I'm going to try an electric fan ....although when I did on my Datsun it barely was able to control the temperature (eventually got the a/c working and went to belt driven AND electric fan)

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
'73 GT 3-nipple fuel filter

It's an AC GF-423 filter, which a good parts store should be able to cross reference. NAPA has Wix filters and they still make it last time I checked, but check other parts stores too. Else, you could always use a standard two nipple filter and just leave the small line disconnected, it doesn't hurt anything.

Either way and especially living where you do, I STRONGLY urge you to look for a plastic bodied filter to reduce latent radiated heat absorbtion by the fuel. If you're still using the metal fuel line(s) between the pump and the carb, don't forget to shield them with 1/4" plastic split wire loom.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Otto,

That's exactly what I was looking for. I do have the split wire loom covering the rest of the line. I like the idea of retaining the return line as my thinking is, correctly or incorrectly, that allowing for movement of fuel will also contribute to keeping it cooler. Last summer, the first on the road with the rebuilt engine, was better than I anticipated. It doesn't overheat and always started (and restarted when hot) with only some minor burbling the first mile or two after a hot restart. This summer the changes will be the plastic filter and I've converted the air filter back to the original housing and snorkle. Now if I can only get it past the emissions people next month.....I've done a bit of re-jetting and it runs very well but possibly a bit rich for their standards.

Mike

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Fuel Circulation

I guess you want to use the line back from the fuel filter to circulate fuel back to the tank in an effort to control vapour lock - which is what Opel designed that type of fuel filter for.
Another method is to use a fuel pressure regulator which has a feed back bypass line for the over-pressure fuel. That bleed back could be plumbed into the original fuel filter feed back line too.
Just a matter of circulating excess fuel back to the tank in an effort to carry heat away from the fuel system.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jim,

That option would allow me to use a more readily available two nipple filter, right?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
bosco said:
Thanks Jim,

That option would allow me to use a more readily available two nipple filter, right?
Exactly! That is the idea - plus it allows better fuel pressure regulation as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts