Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
10,378 Posts
Re: well ... well... well ...

likengtj said:
... I'm sure Gary,Keith and others can give you a more precise time frames, right guys ? :D
Keith's story: The first time I "restored" my GT, I did it while it was my daily driver, and it took me about four months. Now, that was in 1978, I was 20 (!!) and in University, I lived at home (as in the same place as my parents) so I had lots (or so it seemed) disposable income, I was barely mechanically proficient and I had almost NO tools, and I only had a girlfriend or two to distract me. Oh, and the GT was only 7 years old with 60,000 miles.

The next time, the car was 15 years old (so that would make it 1986), the GT had 102,000 miles, the rust was QUITE a bit worse, the mechanicals were pretty much knackered from 42,000 HARD miles, I had a career (so no spare time) but a bunch more mechanical experience and LOTS of tools, a wife (so no spare money) and one kid with two more on the way (over the next 10 years). Yep, I am STILL bloody restoring the damn thing. But at least I don't need it as a daily driver. Hmm, maybe THAT'S why I still haven't finished it, there is not enough motivation. Or time in a day...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gary's Story: The first time I "restored" my GT, I did it while it was my daily driver, and it took me about two months to fix some minor rust spots and paint several coats of Flame Red lacquer on it. Now, that was in 1978, I was 30 (!!) and in the divorce process, I lived in several different locations so I had no disposable income, I was just in the process of opening up a garage (to repair air cooled VW's) so I had plenty of "free" time and I only had a girlfriend or three to distract me. :D Oh, and the GT was only 9 years old with 45,000 miles.

Three years later, the GT had 62,000 miles, the rust was coming back, the mechanicals were in pretty good shape (I *was* a mechanic after all), I reailzed I was too honest to make a lot of money in the auto trade so I went and found a "Real job" with benefits. I worked on it very little (over the next 10 years). <Stories change here....Pay attention Keith...> After my Daughter graduated from college, I found the $$ and time to start a total restoration. 5 years later (1997) it was finished and roadworthy. <Stories re-combine here...> Yep, I am STILL bloody restoring the little things on the damn thing. But at least I don't need it as a daily driver as I have an Opel Senator for that. Hmm, maybe THAT'S why I still haven't finished it, there is not enough motivation. Or time in a day...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.