Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 73 GT with the taillights that are on the manta. OGTS only has the all red and all amber replacements. Does anyone know where to get new orange and red taillights? Still waiting on internals to show up, so I need something to do.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
New ones may be a bit hard to find but real nice ones do turn up on eBay from time to time. The other options are to try Germany or the UK as I think they used the same lights after 1973 on Mantas.
Susselbeek in Holland may be worth a try too at www.opelgtparts.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you get stuck, I've probably got a few sets in the shed somewhere.

Its funny that a US GT owner wants the Manta style lights, when I converted my Manta to run GT ones.

Like I said, if you get stuck, I can see how many I have. You want all 4 or just the brake/signal ones ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had 2 1973 GT's. One had the split lights and the other had the solid lights. Both were stock, I believe the early 73's had solids and the late had splits. I always liked the split lights and wanted to find another pair. Now I prefer the solid lights, simple and clean look. In the GT I use for my Mid Engine conversion, I would like to use a combination of the 2 types. I would use the Orange solid on the outside and the Red with the white reverse lights in the center. I will be in need of the Red/Reverse lights and lenses.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tire Fryin GT said:
I would like to use a combination of the 2 types. I would use the Orange solid on the outside and the Red with the white reverse lights in the center. I will be in need of the Red/Reverse lights and lenses.
I can understand the orange on the outside to be used for signal, but what are you going to use for brake/rear lights? The red/reverse is just a reflector and not a bulb on the red part. so I'm not sure how it would work.

But I've a few spare sets here in the Uk of anyone needs any.

·
Registered
132 Posts
azzi said:
I can understand the orange on the outside to be used for signal, but what are you going to use for brake/rear lights? The red/reverse is just a reflector and not a bulb on the red part. so I'm not sure how it would work.

But I've a few spare sets here in the Uk of anyone needs any.
Good information, I didn't know that. But now that you mention it, in the split lights the brake lights would be the red on the red/orange light. Makes sence. I will have to figure out a way to make them brake lights with reverse lights in them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah azzi thats cool. The reason I like the splits is when anyone that really knows Opels sees the car they can pick its year. And they look really cool! I wasn't sure if they could be cleaned up,they are real cloudy and the bottom screw holes are broke on both. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Tire Fryin GT said:
But now that you mention it, in the split lights the brake lights would be the red on the red/orange light. Makes sence. I will have to figure out a way to make them brake lights with reverse lights in them.
Just an idea. I use the split housings (orange and white bulb) behind the red/reverse lense so that my reverse lights also function as directionals. Standard brake/parking are on the inside. But maybe you can use red bulbs behind the reverse lense in a split housing?

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
opelrun21 said:
Yeah azzi thats cool. The reason I like the splits is when anyone that really knows Opels sees the car they can pick its year. And they look really cool! I wasn't sure if they could be cleaned up,they are real cloudy and the bottom screw holes are broke on both. But any help would be greatly appreciated.
Never had a set go cloudy before, Maybe its the cooler climate. But YES, I know those damned screw holes.

Anyone thinking of changing their rear lights need to remember to get the backs too. The rears are NOT interchangable as the diameter of the lense and the rim are slightly different. I.E. a GT lense will not fit on a Manta rear.

(I know the later GT's had the splits also, but to avoid confusion I'll just quote Manta and GT)

Basicly there are 4 different rears and lense types.

Opel GT Yellow = Single filament bulb holder in center
Opel GT Red = Double Filament Bulb Holder in Center
Manta Split = Single filament bulb holder top & Double Filament Bulb Holder bottom
Manta Reverse = Single filament bulb holder in center

The Manta Split has a metal shield horizontaly through the middle to seperate the light beams.

The Reflector area on the Manta reverselight area is not opaque, so you couldn't get a bulb to shine through anyways.

As the Manta and the GT backs to not interchange, you may end up just making you own backs up if you need to customise them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I'm unsure on what will fit. My GT's Taillights are amber on the top, red on the bottom, with a one filament bulb on top (turn signal) and a double filament on the bottom (driving and brake). The inner reflector and reverse light, I think has a light in the clear center. I think theyre factory but I've only had it 1/30th of its life. If not looks well done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
opelrun21 said:
Now I'm unsure on what will fit. My GT's Taillights are amber on the top, red on the bottom, with a one filament bulb on top (turn signal) and a double filament on the bottom (driving and brake). The inner reflector and reverse light, I think has a light in the clear center. I think theyre factory but I've only had it 1/30th of its life. If not looks well done.
Yes, they are the same as the ones fitted to the Manta. They were also fitted to the later year GT's as a direct fit, but you have to use the rears for that certain kind of lense.

chaging the subject slightly, did anyone get any of Destec's LED rear lights?

How did they fit and what rears did you have to use (if any)

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
I just got a NOS set from Europe for my Blue Max. I think I got some of the last ones available. The Red/Amber lense set was NOS, one of the Red/White wer NOS, the other extremely nice used (hard to tell it wasnt NOS). I got it from my supplier who specializes in Mantas.. so if he is going of stock on them.. that should tell you something.

Charles

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
L.E.D. Tailights

Azzi

I got one of the first sets of L.E.D. tailights from Destec for my 72 GT. They work great, very bright and were very easy to install. To get the full brightness, it is better if the engine is on so they get the full 14 volts. It really cuts down on amperage draw. You will have to modify the turnsignal flasher since that works on amperage. On a Manta, it may act like you have a burnt out bulb and flash a the quick rate. On the GT you get the double green on the dash, but the instructions give you a few options on how to eliminate it.

Destec is very knowledgeable(sp) and should be able to help you out.

Jeff

·
Registered
127 Posts
hey azzi, off topic, but i noticed u have a turbo on your gt. can u post some pics and/or a thread on how u did it?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The wiring diagram that Destec sell is also a must have, really great. Jarrell

·
Registered
213 Posts
i used the manta's reverse lenses as blinkers... i just put an orange bulb inside, and the tailight/brake lens is like a GT red lense with one double bulb in the middle... allways hated those split red/orange lights.

maybe the indicator is a little too bright... but compared to some new cars, its just right.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Reviving an old thread with new questions

Recently, I purchased a 73 split tail light housing from eBay to replace one I have that has a bad metal reflector behind the bulb. To my surprise, this one is ALL plastic...reflector and all(part#SBBL 154-2). So, even though it was advertised as being for a 73GT, I figured that maybe it was from a 74 or 75 Manta. I found this thread as I was researching which is stating that the Manta and GT tail lights are not interchangable. Is this really true?(question #1) This light fits the GT and is so different than the 73 housings that I have.
The second question is if anyone has one of these all plastic split light housings that they would like to sell? This housing is the answer to a mod I have in mind, so I will have to find another one or two.
I have attached two pictures of the all plastic housing, and one of the metal reflector one to show the difference. Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Opeler
3,720 Posts
Adding more functionality to 73 tail lights

73 split tail lights combine parking light, turn signal and brake light in two clusters (L.H. and R.H.). The other pair of lights is used for back-up light only.
I have added extra pair of brake lights into a back-up light clusters by installing LED ring that can be found on Ebay. I had to scrape the paint that prevents light to penetrate the lens and spot-glued the LED ring to the lens.
The result is additional pair of brake lights while the back-up light function remains unchanged.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts