Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone couldnt resist smacking the front of my 74 Sportwagon but luckily only pusheed the bumper back a bit. It appears that the compressible mount (piston/post) is compressed about an inch.

Does anyone have any experience trying to pull one of these back out?

· Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
MikeyOne said:
Someone couldnt resist smacking the front of my 74 Sportwagon but luckily only pusheed the bumper back a bit. It appears that the compressible mount (piston/post) is compressed about an inch.

Does anyone have any experience trying to pull one of these back out?
You *should* be able to pull it out by hand. If by some reason it's cocked-up sideways, then sometimes it helps to pull on the compressed side while someone else gives the extended side a bit of a kick. That will often shock it back into place. Worst case scenario, attach a strap to the bumper and a tree and give it a light tug by backing up.

88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I went out with a slide hammer, a small sledge, an claw hammer, and the thought that this was going to be like getting the drums of a taperd axle.

I reached underneath the bumper and got the hook of the claw hammer on the flange of the "piston" and leaned back and almost fell over! The thing pulled right out. I also noticed that none of the bolts that were holding the bumper to the flange were any good (aluminum with tapered flush heads) and put new bolts in so I didnt end up pole vaulting on my own bumper.

Thanks for the guidance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.