Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all,
Looks like the boards' format has changed a bit since I was last here in Sept, '19? Very nice! Will check it all out after I post this....

Anywho... my throttle cable broke today. Need replacement. Where to buy, new or used?

To recap... I got this car in 2001 with the Fuel Injection (FI) intake mani. in trunk. I acquired a carb'd manifold & put a new weber 32/36 on it. I used the existing "modified"(?) throttle cable that was there. Idk if this cable is an OEM '75 FI or ,in fact, a pre-'75 carbd cable? Cable has been fine for 19 years until today... SNAP!
Here are photo's of everything, with descriptions so perhaps someone can help? (apologies if images are large.)

This brass bullet- type "stop" connector looks like it may have been crimped onto cut OEM cable? Appears to be solder on everything as well?

Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a new brass bullet end/ "stop''?

I looked at how a '75 OEM replacement throttle cable would attach to the OEM '75 FI manifold (on a shelf) It looks like if I can find a '75 oem replacement cable, i will have to cut & modify it to match what I have now... the cable going into a brass bullet type thing.

There doesn't appear to be enough cable left to be able to cut it back.... even if I attempted to move the cable housing closer to carb to gain more adjustment.

1) What does a pre- '75 NON-FI throttle cable look like? Is my cable a modified OEM '75, or a PRE- '75 OEM carb'd cable or a modified pre- '75 OEM cable?
2 )Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cable? New? used?
2) The brass bullet "stop".. Anyone familiar with these & have a source where to buy new? (If a pre- '75 cable has this already, & that's what I have, then obviously I wouldn't need a new brass bullet/stop?)

Thanks so much everyone. When my electronic ignition died 9 months ago, you guys helped immensely, & this is the 1st problem to pop up since then!

jon

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Repost: I think I posted this in the wrong section yesterday? If incorrect, could a Mod. correct this for me? It is under:
Technical Forums > The Main Tech Forums > Factory Service Manual Group 6 - Engine 6C - Fuel System > Linkage

Hi again all,
Looks like the boards' format has changed a bit since I was last here a few months back? Very nice! Will check it all out after I post this....

Anywho... my throttle cable broke today. Need replacement. Where to buy, new or used?

To recap... I got this car in 2001 (previously propane turbo powered. but all of that missing/removed) with the Fuel Injection (FI) intake mani. in trunk. I acquired a carb'd manifold & put a new weber 32/36 on it. I used the existing "modified"(?) throttle cable that was there. Idk if this cable is a stock OEM '75 FI or ,in fact, a pre-'75 carbd cable? Cable has been fine for 19 years until today... SNAP!
Here are photo's of everything, with descriptions so perhaps someone can help? (apologies if images are large.)

This brass bullet- type "stop" connector looks like it may have been crimped onto the cut OEM cable? Appears to be SOLDER on everything as well?

Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a new brass bullet end/ "stop''?

The below photo is my '75 OEM FI manifold cable connection. Is that cable end stock or has that been fabricated? NOTHING IS STOCK ON THIS CAR. It looks like an aircraft racing mechanic got his hands on everything? From the photo below, if that's stock,it looks like, if I can find a '75 oem FI replacement cable,I would have to cut the end & modify it to match what I have now = the cable going into a brass bullet stop.

There doesn't appear to be enough decent useable cable left to be able to cut it back.... even if I attempted to move the cable housing closer to carb to gain more adjustment.

1) What does a pre- '75 NON-FI throttle cable look like? Is my cable a modified OEM '75, or a PRE- '75 OEM carb'd cable or a modified pre- '75 OEM cable?
2 )Does anyone know where I can get the entire replacement cable? '75 or earlier? New? used?
2) The brass bullet "stop".. Anyone familiar with these & have a source where to buy new? (If a pre- '75 cable has this already, & that's what I have, then obviously I wouldn't need a new brass bullet/stop?)

Thanks so much everyone. When my electronic ignition died 9 months ago, you guys helped immensely, & this is the 1st problem to pop up since then!

jon

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
The cable with the "bullet" end is indeed a 71-75 carb'ed cable and it's longer than the actual F.I. cable. The F.I. cable is a " ball and socket" type end

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
The end in your last picture is definitely cobbled up. Sorry I don't have access to an actual picture as I swapped from F.I. to side draft.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, that tells me what I have & what I need to get. I assume a '71-'74 carbed Manta or 1900 cable will do the trick?
Does anyone have a spare, new or used '71-'74 Manta or 1900 carb'd throttle cable (complete) lying around they'd like to SELL me?
I see an "Opel Parts Suppliers" link here. I'd rater NOT try a local junkyard.
Or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the quick replies
I am now 1- 1/2 days without my Summer DD.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you called Opel GT Source (commonality seen on here as OGTS)? They have stuff that isn’t on their website.

Good luck!

Eric
Yes!.
Just got off the phone with them. They did NOT have new, but had 1 USED & FRAYED... right where mine broke.(It's still better than mine!)
That's probably why mine had solder all over it?
Thanks!
If anyone else has one in better condition, please let me know? CASH! (I'll keep the OGTS's frayed one as a back up).

· Über Moderator
6,657 Posts
Repost: I think I posted this in the wrong section yesterday? If incorrect, could a Mod. correct this for me? It is under:
Technical Forums > The Main Tech Forums > Factory Service Manual Group 6 - Engine 6C - Fuel System > Linkage
Yes, it was under "General Discussions", which is where you also posted your second thread. I merged and moved them. Two posts for the price of one....

The mobile version of the new site is somewhat fubared, and doesn't allow the sub-Forum headings to display, so a LOT of new threads are being started in the wrong place. Not the fault of the member, just a problem with the site when viewed as a mobile version. All the Forum headings display properly when using a browser, either on a phone or laptop/desktop.

Yes!.
Just got off the phone with them. They did NOT have new, but had 1 USED & FRAYED... right where mine broke.(It's still better than mine!)
That's probably why mine had solder all over it?
Thanks!
If anyone else has one in better condition, please let me know? CASH! (I'll keep the OGTS's frayed one as a back up).
You might contact Todd Martin at Opels Unlimited. He is best reached by phone after 4 pm PDT, or via Facebook.

· Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
Thanks, another member suggested I reach out to a guy in NH as well. I am now exploring all options.
If all fails, I will post in the "Parts Wanted" section.
We are so fortunate to have this forum!
jon
I’ll check my barn today (in CT). I should have a few used ones around.

· Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
I found a used throttle cable this morning. 1975 EFI cable shown for comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.